Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[XXX] Answers Questions Regarding Statistics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
[XXX] Answers Questions Regarding Statistics
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ArchangelLBC
12.05.2012 , 01:53 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
You understand that just the fact that they used that as an example goes to show how clueless they can be about PvP and the metrics... right?

I'm not going to even go into the many problems about creating "balance" in MMO PvP... but it surely can NOT be done with mathematics.

They need to either play the game... of listen to an intelligent player base or G T F O.
You'd be surprised what can be done with mathematics. We're basically wizards.

Not that I'm defending the devs cause I don't think they could balance PVP if their lives quite literally depended on it, but of the 8 ACs, 7 of them have a rated viable spec, and I'd say their massive overbalance of classes via nerfs in 1.2 had as much to do with player QQ as it did metrics.

Again, not saying they're doing it right, but mathematics properly applied could help a ton with balancing. Most forum posters are dumb anyway. Wouldn't trust them to balance any more than I trust the devs.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Rigaux
12.05.2012 , 04:18 AM | #62
In regards to the point about the only reason we complain about smashers is because there are alot of them. I remember reading in a previous statement by the devs that they would see if people are playing the spec (Rage/Focus) alot and fix/adjust it accordingly. And now they are saying nothing more about it or changes to the spec? Wow.
"Who needs a Soul right? As long as you win!"
Server: The Shadowlands. PvE

cycao
12.05.2012 , 07:22 AM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
the devs have acknowledged PvP as a majority playstyle for a while. back in Feb or March a dev said that >50% of players participated in wzs, while ~35% participated in endgame Ops. why they have not made more effort to improve PvP, which clearly a large part of their playerbase enjoys, is beyond me

Yeah this is one thing that I simply cannot wrap my head around. I remember them saying that. Lets be honest, PvP has been on the short end of everything that this game does and especially since that statement was released. One warzone in a year, with another coming soon™ but with all the different gear grinds and class balance being on a roller coaster I just lose a little faith every day.

AstralProjection
12.05.2012 , 08:01 AM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Rigaux View Post
In regards to the point about the only reason we complain about smashers is because there are alot of them. I remember reading in a previous statement by the devs that they would see if people are playing the spec (Rage/Focus) alot and fix/adjust it accordingly. And now they are saying nothing more about it or changes to the spec? Wow.
As long as teams of lolsmashers aren't roaming the warzones in hordes stunlocking people until they unsub, there's nothing to see here, folks.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Softcore PVP with Hardcore Determination
Prophecy of the Five | Poet Warlord | International Guild

Jherad
12.05.2012 , 08:13 AM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by WaywardOne View Post
Some players are never going to be happy, respectful, considerate or patient. They blow things out of proportion, deal only with absolutes and will never say a positive thing about anything or anyone unless it agrees completely with their own position. These players, many of the posters above, are good at venting and that is all.

I'll take BW's analytics over most of the posters on this board any day of the week. But I'll take numbers I can gather/monitor/verify and analyze myself over anyone's at BW. The main problem is that I/we have access to very few of those numbers. And another big problem is that many people have opinions they will defend to the death based on no verifiable facts (opinions like: "the world is flat" and "ur is the best defensive ability in the game" and "sorcs suck at team play" and "maras are overrunning the game" - even though there are far more sorcs than anything else in the 21-50 range and @50 on both POT5 and Jung Ma last time I checked).
Analysis of cold hard statistical data can be incredibly valuable if the models are applicable, meaningful and reflect reality. Right now however, they appear to be saying that the sky is pink and trees are made of cotton candy - and nobody has thought to poke their head out of a window and take a look.

The buffs to focus/rage were a big eye-opener that all was not well with their use of data.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

foxmob
12.05.2012 , 10:08 AM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Analysis of cold hard statistical data can be incredibly valuable if the models are applicable, meaningful and reflect reality. Right now however, they appear to be saying that the sky is pink and trees are made of cotton candy - and nobody has thought to poke their head out of a window and take a look.

The buffs to focus/rage were a big eye-opener that all was not well with their use of data.
oooh! I just saw WRECK-IT RALPH! too!
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

AllisonBerryman
12.05.2012 , 10:26 AM | #67 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Everyone, it's important to remember that the answers Jonathan gave are just a few examples of metrics our analytics team looks at for certain specific purposes. Class balancing overall is much more complicated than looking at a couple stats - these were just a few examples of things the analytics team looks at and it wasn't intended as a comprehensive deep-dive into PvP balancing. It also wasn't a statement that we feel everything is completely perfect. We're always looking at player feedback, testing, and much more to to adjust the classes, and will continue to do so.

MorgothQuick
12.05.2012 , 10:58 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Everyone, it's important to remember that the answers Jonathan gave are just a few examples of metrics our analytics team looks at for certain specific purposes. Class balancing overall is much more complicated than looking at a couple stats - these were just a few examples of things the analytics team looks at and it wasn't intended as a comprehensive deep-dive into PvP balancing. It also wasn't a statement that we feel everything is completely perfect. We're always looking at player feedback, testing, and much more to to adjust the classes, and will continue to do so.
Could you please tell us if anything will be done class balance wise for patch 1.6? As its the patch with a new WZ in it would be the ideal time to do such a thing.

TUXs
12.05.2012 , 11:02 AM | #69
Quote: Originally Posted by MorgothQuick View Post
Could you please tell us if anything will be done class balance wise for patch 1.6? As its the patch with a new WZ in it would be the ideal time to do such a thing.
I'd really like to know the answer to this as well.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Lord_Karsk
12.05.2012 , 11:09 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Is this why you ignore all class balance feedback and buff the alredy most powerful classes/AC ?