Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Leveling as Healer

Raji_Lev
12.05.2012 , 08:15 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
I leveled as full healer. It is tough until you get Ashara. She is quite honestly a better tank/threat holder then Khem. If you gear her up, she'll do enough melee dps to maintain threat, while you sit back and keep her upright and mix in some dot damage.

I find the tanks we get are terrible, not enough damage output to be worth keeping upright.
I haven't leveled my Sorc as heals, but I HAVE leveled a Scoundrel as healer, and this has been pretty much my experience as well - once I unlocked and started using a DPS companion, my net survivability stayed about the same, but my kill speed went up immensely. And as for threat, I found that all the mobs that weren't being actively focused on by my tank companion would make a beeline for me as soon as I started throwing out heals and the AoE taunt wore off anyway.
Prophecy of the Five
Arikh - Scoundrel / Joshirus - Guardian / Rajidin - Vanguard / Rajalus - Shadow
Pyrojack - Mercenary / Tiltowait - Sorcerer / Dorol - Sniper / Oreston - Marauder
And too kriffing many others. Hi, my name's Raji, and I'm an altoholic.

verfallen
12.05.2012 , 10:39 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Raji_Lev View Post
I haven't leveled my Sorc as heals, but I HAVE leveled a Scoundrel as healer, and this has been pretty much my experience as well - once I unlocked and started using a DPS companion, my net survivability stayed about the same, but my kill speed went up immensely. And as for threat, I found that all the mobs that weren't being actively focused on by my tank companion would make a beeline for me as soon as I started throwing out heals and the AoE taunt wore off anyway.

Scoundrel, or in my case operative, leveling as healer goes faster since the ressource positive above 60 energy allow better dps from you imo.

I simply use shiv/backstab, and if Kalyo's health start dropping take a step back and heal more actively.

For sorc at that level, which ressource pool is based on how deep it is and not how fast it regen, you have to consider a force investment in dps is force you ain't getting for healing, possibly reducing the overall dps you can throw. Mostly healers will be using affliction very carefully, crushing darkness and force lightning when its an harder fight such as those you encounter in H2s (read longer fight). Ironically, such fight is where healer addind his dps would be nice, but also where its less practical to do so since it can compromise healing later in the fight.

It is true that healers sometimes solo H4, I managed hunger of the vr(something), last H4 of Nar Shadaa solo, howeer it was pre-1,2 when DI cast was actually 1,5 sec with force bending (no double dip tough, never approved using game bugs as a rotation) but if you have your legacy high enough and the cred for it, field respec is a priceless tool to subscriber playing an heal-able class, allowing them to freely go from dps for thrash cleaning to full heals for harder fight.

For those who are f2p or simply don't have access to that legacy perk, well its nit exactly that longer, but you will be far from the AoE burst dps does (on a thrash twoshot, where 3 level 50 normal mob died on a CL/DF crit, I got a reported 35k dps on MOX, since it was 13k damage aoe wise over 3 targets within 0,3 seconds from CL first hit)

For the record, dps can more than solo H2s as well, since they'll most likely have burned at least one strong before the shield fails. And you still have DH and DI to help out your companion. I normally keep recklessness availaible for such situations.

islander
12.05.2012 , 10:51 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
She'll do enough single target damage sure. But thats not true she can keep enough pressure on an whole group, nor will she beat khem single target threat if both have similar quality gear.

Sure speeds up the killing tough, you send her on the strongest mob, AoE the thrash, and then help her finish the strong. Overall very doable to level as a healer.
I'm not suggesting that she's a better overall threat generator. What I'm saying is, Khem even geared does considerable less damage per healing required.
I was literally able to handle you know who at the end, and subsequent champions today by just letting her do all the work. Her damage to healing required ratio is much better then either Khem or the 'other' tank you get later

She actually generates more threat then HK-51 even though their damage output is similar. I attribute it to melee versus ranged. Still, I tend to use HK-51 for normal dailies just because he's new and shiny, and played right you can essentially have 5 stacks up (i.e. assassinate) for any particular scenario you need it for "cc" in a heroic 2 or 2+ situation.

Of course, it helps that I'm very well geared these days in all augmented WH gear with the elite saber.

If one really wanted to use Khem, I'd level up by ascending the madness tree. You'll be able to do quality damage at level 21, and serious damage output as early as level 26 once you get death field.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

DarthPasta
12.05.2012 , 12:41 PM | #14
Thanks for all the replies. I have leveled four toons to 50 (including an inquisitor) but have never leveled AS a healer, so I am eager to see how the leveling process compares while making things as easy and painless as possible.

verfallen
12.05.2012 , 12:45 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
I'm not suggesting that she's a better overall threat generator. What I'm saying is, Khem even geared does considerable less damage per healing required.
I was literally able to handle you know who at the end, and subsequent champions today by just letting her do all the work. Her damage to healing required ratio is much better then either Khem or the 'other' tank you get later

She actually generates more threat then HK-51 even though their damage output is similar. I attribute it to melee versus ranged. Still, I tend to use HK-51 for normal dailies just because he's new and shiny, and played right you can essentially have 5 stacks up (i.e. assassinate) for any particular scenario you need it for "cc" in a heroic 2 or 2+ situation.

Of course, it helps that I'm very well geared these days in all augmented WH gear with the elite saber.

If one really wanted to use Khem, I'd level up by ascending the madness tree. You'll be able to do quality damage at level 21, and serious damage output as early as level 26 once you get death field.

You actually wrote "threat" and not damage on your earlier post.

She also handles damage less well, which makes a difference agains some champions at level, altough she does it decently enough and the time gained is always nice. She does require more healing however, and bursting champions (mostly tech based since you cannot clear explosive probes) can be an issue at level without end-game gear, since sorc lacks the fast response tools if you don't plan on it and the shield debuff's on.

You are still SAFER with khem. Hope you got a good book at hand's reach tough

islander
12.05.2012 , 02:56 PM | #16
Eh, I don't know, I guess it hasn't been my experience. I suppose when I said threat, I meant I've had no problems with her maintaining single target threat off of me - which in most cases is all I worry about.

Although I haven't tested Khem or the other guy since turning 50, I saw enough of his lack of damage dealing to turn me off.
You may be right, and as you said, you'll definitely be more bored. He seems much better for DPS spec sorcs.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Monterone
12.06.2012 , 11:41 AM | #17
I've leveled sorcs and sages to 50 a few times. My last sage was leveled as a Balance/TK dps hybrid, and my last sorc as full Corruption. I can say that without a doubt leveling as dps makes things go much quicker, although you're pretty unstoppable as a healer -- it all depends also on if you want to pvp and what role you hope to play there.

Ashara is definitely my favorite companion, as a couple of others have said. I started using her on my full corruption sorc as soon as I got her and it made a huge difference. I later geared her out in full rakata, when I used to raid back until 1.2 or 1.3, and she is an absolute beast.

Give her a try if you end up going heals.
Simonette . Sominette
Pot5 > Harbinger

revansowns
12.07.2012 , 04:41 PM | #18
I leveled my Inq as a healer. It was really easy as long as I focuses solely on healing (duh) and used the right companion. Khem is can take you until endgame if you really like him and keep him geard, but I used sommething like this:

30 levels of Khem
15 levels of Ashara
5 levels of Xalek

Rough estimate^

It worked really well, much easier than leveling my Guardian tank (even though I like him more )
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 50 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 50 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 50 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 29 Jedi Shadow Devasion - Level 25 Sith Marauder Jizzar - Level 19 Powertech Tegldef -Level 18 Scoundrel

fungihoujo
12.08.2012 , 04:34 AM | #19
It's a bit painful- but, if you have a lot of maxed alts and thus a big presence bonus, putting in a high dps companion will work wonders for the first thirty levels because they'll vastly out-stat you.

Rhinzual
12.08.2012 , 07:17 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
It's a bit painful- but, if you have a lot of maxed alts and thus a big presence bonus, putting in a high dps companion will work wonders for the first thirty levels because they'll vastly out-stat you.
That's before going possibly into Biochem and making the Presence Stims.