Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please stop the gold farming spam

Xargyn
12.04.2012 , 10:24 PM | #21
Saying "don't play MMOs" or "just use ignore and report them" isn't the answer. We never had gold farmer whispers before the F2P went live. Something needs to be done to stop them. Maybe make it like the trial accounts where a F2P can't whisper anybody without being whispered to first. Remove the restriction for the preferred players who have actually spent something on the game.

Unlike most MMOs, the chat system TOR uses sucks when it comes to whispers. If I'm replying to a friend and before I hit enter another whisper comes in, it sends the tell to the last person whispered... not the one I was originally replying to. I was in a warzone, got a whisper, hit enter to say something in /ops and the chat window was trying to talk to the gold spammer. It gets annoying. And I'm not paying a subscription to be annoyed.
CE VIP Remember when this was a big deal?

MiraniSedai
12.04.2012 , 10:32 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Xargyn View Post

Unlike most MMOs, the chat system TOR uses sucks when it comes to whispers. If I'm replying to a friend and before I hit enter another whisper comes in, it sends the tell to the last person whispered... not the one I was originally replying to. I was in a warzone, got a whisper, hit enter to say something in /ops and the chat window was trying to talk to the gold spammer. It gets annoying. And I'm not paying a subscription to be annoyed.
It also can be immensly amusing at times. I grouped with a guy for a heroic 2+ quest. RIght after we finished the heroic he had a moment sort of like yours. What he sent me was shall we say "QUITE spicey" and not intended for me at all. He logged fast. I chuckled over it for a good 20 minutes.

Andryah
12.04.2012 , 10:42 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by MitchPB View Post
You obviously arnt playing on the Harbringer
I play on Harbinger. I have received a total of 2 whispers in the last week. I reported them and moved on.

Stop loitering on fleet. It attracts vermin. Vermin have fleas. Fleas bite. You itch. You scratch. Bites get infected. Medical droid straps you to the med table and sprays you endlessly with stinky medications. Your skin turns bright pink..... See... you could have been off on a real planet doing real things.
"The internet has enabled so much and empowered so many. But it can also be a place where the basic rules of decency are suspended and pettiness and negativity thrive, - Tim Cook, Apple CEO

Sneekyblade
12.04.2012 , 11:03 PM | #24
I think they should auto hide all chat with reported websites in the context like bad words

shackboredguy
12.04.2012 , 11:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I play on Harbinger. I have received a total of 2 whispers in the last week. I reported them and moved on.

Stop loitering on fleet. It attracts vermin. Vermin have fleas. Fleas bite. You itch. You scratch. Bites get infected. Medical droid straps you to the med table and sprays you endlessly with stinky medications. Your skin turns bright pink..... See... you could have been off on a real planet doing real things.
I'm on Harbinger and gotten 5 or 6 whispers in the last couple of days and only one was while i was on the fleet. It really is the whispers that bother me, i don't care much about gen chat spam, not much worse then what's usually on there.

Wraiven
12.05.2012 , 12:03 AM | #26
This crap is ridiculous. I have reported the SAME EXACT spammer who has been here for two days now at least 30 times or more...yet they remain. But lord forgive if somebody in fleet uses a cuss word and somebody reports them for that, they will be banned for a week after a few short hours. So why is it these spammers get away with what they are doing, but a paying customer gets ram rodded if they use a dirty word? Buncha crap if you ask me.

If nothing is promptly being done to stop these spammers, they will just continue to do it. This is why F2P accounts should not be allowed to use general chat. This is why they should have their own chat system outside of what us paying customers use. These Gold Farmers need to be stopped once and for all, they ruin the economy of every MMO they step foot in and they eventually hack a player's account to use as their gold spamming mules and ultimately get that player's account banned. They end up hacking the game's own web site and place a key logger in the Down Load of the game, then use that Key Logger to get your account info and hack your account. This is EXACTLY what happened to me when I DLed WoW from their own web page.

I hate them, I hate everything they stand for and I hate anyone who supports them in what they do.
Republic: Krulex (Shadow) Kn (Guardian) Krll (Sentinel) Wanatrime (Vanguard)
Imperial: Wraiven (Assassin) Krullous (Marauder) Krawl (Jugg) Xin (Jugg)
♠♠♠ The Soulstalker Legacy ♠♠♠
-FIGHT-

oakamp
12.05.2012 , 12:27 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Wraiven View Post
This crap is ridiculous. I have reported the SAME EXACT spammer who has been here for two days now at least 30 times or more...yet they remain. But lord forgive if somebody in fleet uses a cuss word and somebody reports them for that, they will be banned for a week after a few short hours. So why is it these spammers get away with what they are doing, but a paying customer gets ram rodded if they use a dirty word? Buncha crap if you ask me.

If nothing is promptly being done to stop these spammers, they will just continue to do it. This is why F2P accounts should not be allowed to use general chat. This is why they should have their own chat system outside of what us paying customers use. These Gold Farmers need to be stopped once and for all, they ruin the economy of every MMO they step foot in and they eventually hack a player's account to use as their gold spamming mules and ultimately get that player's account banned. They end up hacking the game's own web site and place a key logger in the Down Load of the game, then use that Key Logger to get your account info and hack your account. This is EXACTLY what happened to me when I DLed WoW from their own web page.

I hate them, I hate everything they stand for and I hate anyone who supports them in what they do.
agree,
f2p should never use general channel nor whisper to anybody,
only can say in a small ground.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

Kazaganthis
12.05.2012 , 12:45 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

LOL! Even gold spammers are our fault according to you. Jesus is there anything you wont say to make sure blame never falls on Bioware? I dont know what Harbinger you play on but the rest of us have experienced server crashes, extreme lag in daily areas, and yes gold farmer whispers. I even get them in class specific areas like the Uphrades as Im typing this from a Dassanthi. Its annoying, its immersion breaking, and something they shouldve had the foresight to realize it was going to be a problem especially since they went all gung ho banning people who bought credits recently. F2P? Sorry you cant chat guess youll have to sub. Id say make the restriction level 10 but Ive seen level 10s on fleet doing it before I report and ignore them. Doesnt do much since they just make another and keep on going. Sticking your head in the sand solves nothing.

LordArtemis
12.05.2012 , 02:50 AM | #29
The problem is the game's increased interest. F2P makes it easy, but credit sellers would simply sub I expect if they couldn't communicate with players under F2P.

There is no real way to get rid of credit sales, unless you eliminate the ability to transfer or trade currency and eliminate the GTN.

That means unfortunately that this type of annoyance will likely increase in frequency, not decrease. The only thing Bioware can do at the moment is limit spam and remain aggressive against the sellers.

One thing I would like to mention is that I think the ability for Free players to communicate with other players is vital to the health of the game. Cooperative play is very important in this game IMO, and players have to be able to speak to each other for it to work.

GreatFreedom
12.05.2012 , 03:06 AM | #30
ive seen many gold farming spam every mmo ive played.. one i even bought from just cause he game got boring and the staff litterally allowed it pretty much heck even formed a deal they get x amount and let them (that company pretty much went brankrupt in the end) as a trial member or f2p... i shouldnt be able to use general chat or things to whisper only yell at least then it isnt spamming people anywhere, just in the certain spot.. now as a sub i agree i shouldnt have to see spammers of gold farmers or whispers fori t. i swear today alone i got like 3whispers.. all of them by most likely the same group of farmers.

i say if you ban a gold farmer account ban the ip for that account, that way it affects that farmers chances of makign a new one on that ip. yes i do realize it could be some cafe or whatnot, but in those cases 1 player can ruin an entire game for many. so why take that chance? the games already f2p which draws attention as it is. why should those few spammers be allowed to make multiple accounts?