Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Meaning of "...ooine" and Other Questions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Meaning of "...ooine" and Other Questions

Anonemous's Avatar


Anonemous
12.04.2012 , 05:12 AM | #1
1. What is the meaning of "ooine" as found in the planet names Tatooine and Dantooine? Does it have some sort of cultural significance? What about Mos Espa and Mos Eisley. Seams allot like names such as San Francisco or Los Vegas.

2. Hyperspace regulations. Is there such thing? Whats to prevent a ship from blasting into a planet and causing a mass extinction? Or if a ship is coming out of hyperspace above a highly trafficked planet such as Courscant. What rules or regulations are preventing it from hitting another ship?

3. So far each planet we go to in Star Wars seems to have only one main environment, government, and culture dominating the entire planet? Are their any exceptions? How about planets with multiple nations and cultures like earth, or whose denizens are still in a early prehistoric era, living like cavemen. What about a planets who's life is still primitive, like ours in the Mesozoic eras or Precambrian eras.

4. What are the Religions like in Star Wars? Is there only the force? What about gods, do they have any? Do they have their own mythology's like we do? Or is all the hype on the Sith and Jedi?
Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"

Tifo-Dias's Avatar


Tifo-Dias
12.04.2012 , 07:36 AM | #2
1.no idea =p

2. well, there are some predetermined rotes... we can figure that much after reading Tales of sith, whem the 2 adventurers ramdomly discovers korriban... they sey they were very very very lucky because they could just have crashed into some asteroid. But as far to any specific control i don't know either ...

3. Tythoon had 2 cultures... but i agree that in the game they show little of that.. but we see these likes in Onderon, where there were those beast riders in the jungle and theyr civilization at the same time as there is the city folks.. star wars do seen to have a pattern to unify the planet culture... not sure why

4. Qyzen Fess say all the time about his "Scorekeeper" God.. i suspect a lot of religions in the lore are related to the Force in some ways, but this Trandoshan's is one exemple of a religion that is not
"My luck ranges from barely tolerable to cataclysmic. I'm living proof that the force has a sense of humor."

Warren-Stride's Avatar


Warren-Stride
12.04.2012 , 08:00 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Anonemous View Post
1. What is the meaning of "ooine" as found in the planet names Tatooine and Dantooine? Does it have some sort of cultural significance? What about Mos Espa and Mos Eisley. Seams allot like names such as San Francisco or Los Vegas.

2. Hyperspace regulations. Is there such thing? Whats to prevent a ship from blasting into a planet and causing a mass extinction? Or if a ship is coming out of hyperspace above a highly trafficked planet such as Courscant. What rules or regulations are preventing it from hitting another ship?

3. So far each planet we go to in Star Wars seems to have only one main environment, government, and culture dominating the entire planet? Are their any exceptions? How about planets with multiple nations and cultures like earth, or whose denizens are still in a early prehistoric era, living like cavemen. What about a planets who's life is still primitive, like ours in the Mesozoic eras or Precambrian eras.

4. What are the Religions like in Star Wars? Is there only the force? What about gods, do they have any? Do they have their own mythology's like we do? Or is all the hype on the Sith and Jedi?
1.) Taken straight from Wookieepedia: "In the Star Wars universe, planet names ending in the "-ooine" suffix are quite common; examples include Minntooine, Dantooine, Kinooine, Klatooine and Vactooine. This is similar to the "-astan" in Asia."

2.) Yes. That's why Han made such a big deal about putiing in hyperspace coordinants. You can't just steer a ship towards the core and say "Courscant is that way!" and zoom off, plowing through worlds. Also, mapping new hyperspace routes is probably the most dangerous job in the galaxy, seeing as you could very well go into a star. Which is why only certain routes are used, because they're known to be safe. As for the traffic stuff, I'm sure there is, but I don't know how it works.

3.) Glee Aslem, the Nautolian's homeworld, has two different species of aliens living on it, if that's what you mean. Voss has two different cultures as well. But as far as biomes.... Carida. That's the only one I can think of.

4.) Trandoshan, Mirialan, Nightsisters.... but yes, the main one is the Force.

Roodbot's Avatar


Roodbot
12.04.2012 , 08:35 AM | #4
Another reason to use hyperspace routes:
Getting too close to a gravity shadow (SW term for gravity well, methinks) in hyperspace will pull you out of hyperspace. Pirates use "mass blocks"- blocks of superdense material- to create gravity shadows and pull ships out of hyperspace to rob. If you got pulled out too close to a planet, you'd probably crash. Hyperspace routes avoid shadows.
Once you go tank, you never go back!

Scathe's Avatar


Scathe
12.04.2012 , 10:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Warren-Stride View Post
2.) Yes. That's why Han made such a big deal about putiing in hyperspace coordinants. You can't just steer a ship towards the core and say "Courscant is that way!" and zoom off, plowing through worlds. Also, mapping new hyperspace routes is probably the most dangerous job in the galaxy, seeing as you could very well go into a star. Which is why only certain routes are used, because they're known to be safe. As for the traffic stuff, I'm sure there is, but I don't know how it works.

There's also stops to recalculate routes every few minutes. Since there's no straight shot from planet to planet, it's a "Jump to point X, stop, plot and then Jump to point Y". Usually the longer the distance, the longer the time spent in Hyperspace. A jump from, say, Dromund Kaas to Tatooine would be approximately six days in Hyperspace, with the stops factored in. That is assuming that Hyperspace Engines in TOR aren't as fast as engines in the movies. It's actually a bold claim when Han says that the Falcon can make .5 past lightspeed since only the big assault cruisers are supposed to have that capability.
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.

Darth_Krull's Avatar


Darth_Krull
12.04.2012 , 10:31 AM | #6
Mon Calamari has the Mon Cal and the Quarren
Veni! Vidi! Vici!

burkepeters's Avatar


burkepeters
12.04.2012 , 11:41 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Anonemous View Post
1. What is the meaning of "ooine" as found in the planet names Tatooine and Dantooine? Does it have some sort of cultural significance? What about Mos Espa and Mos Eisley. Seams allot like names such as San Francisco or Los Vegas.
To be completely honest I don't think we know. George Lucas basically threw the name Tatooine in because there was a local town where he was shooting with a similar name. Lore wise I think someone would have to create some bit of lore and make it canon unless i am mistaken and there is some explenation for the languages of star wars. George Lucas isn't Tolkien.

JLazarillo's Avatar


JLazarillo
12.04.2012 , 07:26 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Scathe View Post
There's also stops to recalculate routes every few minutes. Since there's no straight shot from planet to planet, it's a "Jump to point X, stop, plot and then Jump to point Y". Usually the longer the distance, the longer the time spent in Hyperspace. A jump from, say, Dromund Kaas to Tatooine would be approximately six days in Hyperspace, with the stops factored in. That is assuming that Hyperspace Engines in TOR aren't as fast as engines in the movies. It's actually a bold claim when Han says that the Falcon can make .5 past lightspeed since only the big assault cruisers are supposed to have that capability.
Consider that though it may not seem so to we small creatures, the galaxy, and the stars and planets in it, move really fast. It would make sense that jumps would have to be small and constantly recalculated. What looks like a straight line at one point is going to be 500,000 miles off to your left merely an hour later. Now imagine you also have to account for possibly millions of celestial bodies, a collision with even the smallest of which would mean your instant obliteration. Yeah...interstellar travel ain't easy.

As for other questions, I can think of a couple prehistoric/non-spacefaring societies that showed up. We had the moon of Endor in Return of the Jedi. The Ewoks, as far as I'm aware, weren't really the spacefaring sort. There were also the Evocii, who were pretty much like this, until the Hutts showed up and made it perfectly clear that Star Wars lacks a Prime Directive.

Anonemous's Avatar


Anonemous
12.04.2012 , 11:47 PM | #9
But what about planets populated with solely non-sentient lifeforms. Such as planets populated by dinosaur like creatures or invested with bugs, with no culture or anything. Realistically if life where to evolve at all on the scale it does in Star Wars in the galaxy, the majority of planets would be dominated by creatures like this, or single-celled organisms.

And I was think along the lines of what would prevent a ship from hitting a planet at faster than light speeds and potentially causing a mass extinction? Kind of like 9/11 x 1,000,000. Do Planets have a mass shadow to pull them out of hyperspace?
Ohhh. Great warrior. Wars not make one great.
"I find your lack of faith disturbing!"

Scathe's Avatar


Scathe
12.05.2012 , 07:51 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Anonemous View Post
But what about planets populated with solely non-sentient lifeforms. Such as planets populated by dinosaur like creatures or invested with bugs, with no culture or anything. Realistically if life where to evolve at all on the scale it does in Star Wars in the galaxy, the majority of planets would be dominated by creatures like this, or single-celled organisms.

And I was think along the lines of what would prevent a ship from hitting a planet at faster than light speeds and potentially causing a mass extinction? Kind of like 9/11 x 1,000,000. Do Planets have a mass shadow to pull them out of hyperspace?
For the Hyperspace question, yes, Planets have a mass shadow that pull ships out of light speed. Mass Shadow's are actually another term for a Gravity Well, which is what Interdictor ships use to keep fleets in space during a battle or ambush. The basic premise of flying to a planet is to not fly too close to the planet's gravity well otherwise you could collide with the planet or with the coming and going traffic and cause a serious problem. The general rule is to pop out of Hyperspace far from orbit over the planet, say 400km away or so, and then sublight the rest of the way in.
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.