Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

LegendaryBlade
12.04.2012 , 01:08 PM | #21
Star Wars already hit rock bottom with the prequels, this is literally a case of no where to go but up. Even if these movies are spectacularly mediocre that'll be a huge step up.

Plus, the less I hear Lucas is involved the more excited I am for them. It baffles me that people still think he's a competent director after the prequels and Red Tails.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Wolfninjajedi
12.04.2012 , 01:31 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
Star Wars already hit rock bottom with the prequels, this is literally a case of no where to go but up. Even if these movies are spectacularly mediocre that'll be a huge step up.

Plus, the less I hear Lucas is involved the more excited I am for them. It baffles me that people still think he's a competent director after the prequels and Red Tails.
In your opinion, it has hit rock bottom. You keep forgetting to put that in, just because you think something has hit rock bottom doesn't mean it actually hasn't for other people or at all.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

LegendaryBlade
12.04.2012 , 06:29 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
In your opinion, it has hit rock bottom. You keep forgetting to put that in, just because you think something has hit rock bottom doesn't mean it actually hasn't for other people or at all.
You're some knight in shining armor, the way you hunt down posts and then post the same exact one liner without actually addressing the post, I bet you feel awfully special. Except, here, you are factually incorrect. The movies did hit rock bottom in comparison to the original trilogy.

Critically both Episodes I and II were failures; both getting below 60 on Metacritic. Rotten Tomatoes ranks them about the same, with the first one under 60% and the second one barely above it. The only movie that did decent critically was the third movie(which still did not reach even anywhere remotely close to the acclaim of Episodes 4 and 5), and it was praised for it's action and visuals while almost universally panned for it's story. Regardless of what you think of them, they weren't critical successes. They are the worst Star Wars has ever done. All three of the prequels also received far fewer awards than the original trilogy, and earned Lucas his current extremely negative reputation. Literally and factually Star Wars has no where to go but up from there unless Episode 7 is even more universally panned.

The Prequels are terrible enough that the only way Episode 7 could be any worse is if it fell on it's face and was panned by everybody, including the blindly hardcore fans. Which, really, it's a win/win for me because as much as I want a good movie, I think it'd be a hilarious final nail in the Star Wars coffin for 7 to be terrible.

EDIT: If you consider the first Clone Wars animated movie to be part of the film series than it is, infact, more universally panned than the prequel trilogy -and- I don't think it grossed nearly as much.
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Aurbere
12.04.2012 , 06:51 PM | #24
You're some knight in shining armor, the way you hunt down posts and then post the same exact one liner without actually addressing the post, I bet you feel awfully special. Except, here, you are factually incorrect. The movies did hit rock bottom in comparison to the original trilogy.

Critically both Episodes I and II were failures; both getting below 60 on Metacritic. Rotten Tomatoes ranks them about the same, with the first one under 60% and the second one barely above it. The only movie that did decent critically was the third movie(which still did not reach even anywhere remotely close to the acclaim of Episodes 4 and 5), and it was praised for it's action and visuals while almost universally panned for it's story. Regardless of what you think of them, they weren't critical successes. They are the worst Star Wars has ever done. All three of the prequels also received far fewer awards than the original trilogy, and earned Lucas his current extremely negative reputation. Literally and factually Star Wars has no where to go but up from there unless Episode 7 is even more universally panned.

The Prequels are terrible enough that the only way Episode 7 could be any worse is if it fell on it's face and was panned by everybody, including the blindly hardcore fans. Which, really, it's a win/win for me because as much as I want a good movie, I think it'd be a hilarious final nail in the Star Wars coffin for 7 to be terrible.

EDIT: If you consider the first Clone Wars animated movie to be part of the film series than it is, infact, more universally panned than the prequel trilogy -and- I don't think it grossed nearly as much.
Critics are entitled to their opinions, just like you and I. I liked the Prequels. Obviously, you didn't. We all have our own opinion. No need to hate on people with an opinion opposed to yours.
Added Chapter 35 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

LegendaryBlade
12.04.2012 , 06:58 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Critics are entitled to their opinions, just like you and I. I liked the Prequels. Obviously, you didn't. We all have our own opinion. No need to hate on people with an opinion opposed to yours.
Not hating on anyone, just standing by my statement.

There's no where to go but up for Episode 7, there's no way it's going to do worse than the prequels. Not by fans, not by critics, and certainly not by the most hardcore blind. It'd have to be 2011's Smurfs level of awful to do any worse.
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Aurbere
12.04.2012 , 07:04 PM | #26
Not hating on anyone, just standing by my statement.

There's no where to go but up for Episode 7, there's no way it's going to do worse than the prequels. Not by fans, not by critics, and certainly not by the most hardcore blind. It'd have to be 2011's Smurfs level of awful to do any worse.
I think VII is going to be great. Based on the Prequels, there is room for improvement. I'm sure it will be very good.

As to the question in the title, probably. Episode VII will bring Star Wars back into the mainstream. The biggest thing in Star Wars this day and age has been TCW. So I'm sure VII will give TOR some sort of notoriety. I'm sure new fans will look for a Star Wars game and find TOR.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

LegendaryBlade
12.04.2012 , 07:06 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
I think VII is going to be great. Based on the Prequels, there is room for improvement. I'm sure it will be very good.
To be honest? I think it's going to be fantastic. As much as people want to hate on Disney cause...they're Disney? The fact is they have amazing writer's, and all of their recent films have been extraordinarily good. Not to mention they got one of the best writers of Episode 5 on the team; better yet Lucas has no creative control what so ever. He's on as an 'adviser' but he wont be able to mess anything up.

There's just about no way this could go south.
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Aurbere
12.04.2012 , 07:10 PM | #28
To be honest? I think they're going to be fantastic. As much as people want to hate on Disney cause...they're Disney? The fact is they have amazing writer's, and all of their recent films have been extraordinarily good. Not to mention they got one of the best writers of Episode 5 on the team; better yet Lucas has no creative control what so ever. He's on as an 'adviser' but he wont be able to mess anything up.

There's just about no way this could go south.
Now don't jinx it!

I think it will be good. If Avengers did good, Star Wars VII will as well. I'm excited to see what they do.

NoTomorrow
12.05.2012 , 06:39 AM | #29
the game will not survive until next episodes.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

UndyingImhotep
12.05.2012 , 08:33 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
Assuming TOR is around, yes.

I also wouldn't rule out future mmos with Disney at the wheel. They'll want a slice of the mmo pie just like everyone else.
On the MMO front I suspect this is true. One of the things that the players did when NCSoft shut down the City of Heroes MMO (big mistake of their part IMHO) was to send a petition to Disney to buy the rights to the game and keep it running. I haven't heard anything from Disney on whether or not they're going to do anything with CoH though.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf