Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag issues

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

DuntaCoral
12.04.2012 , 04:24 PM | #361
Are we ever going to get feedback on these? Its been quite a few pages since anyone has even attempted or noted that the problems are being looked at... which is especially interesting since the whole development blog just said they love listening to customer feedback.

I love this game, I want to like you bioware, but when I cannot play because of the lag issues... its making it harder and harder to stay in your corner. I know that its tough, but just tell us your looking at it, or give us some pointers that arn't already posted, because when we send you tickets telling you what we have already done, and you tell us to do those exact same things again... it shows that you aren't listening.

Quote:
Might as well try here. On my old computer had no issues, but it broke and I bought a new more powerful one. Since then I am constantly in the red when it comes to my lag bar, no matter what setting choices or the location I am in. I am running Windows 8 dunno if that has anything to do with it but the game is unplayable, which sucks cause I love it.
Spoiler

The last post I saw from a Bioware Employee was Beesodd on 11.08.2012.... almost 1 month
“The mind can weave itself warmly in the cocoon of its own thoughts, and dwell a hermit anywhere.” -Selonian Proverb
- Dunta Coral (Seer) JvS See You In Hell
-Ev'an (Sawbones)V-Squad

DuntaCoral
12.04.2012 , 11:18 PM | #362
Shameless Bump to bring this back up top
“The mind can weave itself warmly in the cocoon of its own thoughts, and dwell a hermit anywhere.” -Selonian Proverb
- Dunta Coral (Seer) JvS See You In Hell
-Ev'an (Sawbones)V-Squad

Obomonus
12.05.2012 , 05:55 AM | #363
Jedi Covenant server
I'm in Charlotte NC
My ISP is Time Warner Cable

The spikes do not seem to be based on individual player but across the entire server or possibly the specific instance.
My guild was running an op last night and around every minute, we'd all call out 'Laaaagggg' into our mics. We were all spiking at the same time.

Section X dailies are tough for me to get through sometimes because of the lag issues. I click an ability and it either takes 1.5 seconds to activate or it simply doesnt activate at all.

Just wanted to throw my hat into the ring and report the issues I've been having re: lag
--Obomonus

MarK_Raven
12.05.2012 , 11:40 AM | #364
Having HUGE lags on a "Tomb..." PVP server since last few days especially in evening (CET). Not that I have bad connection, pings or anything else. Just in one second everything is ok and in another I'm having ping about 11k and it often causes a disconnect to server list menu and from this menu I can't even sometimes enter server becouse of "connection problems" even if the server isn't heavy loaded. Sometimes when I restart the game after that also launcher is having problems with logging in.

No problems in other games / programs used in same time when TOR is having connection problems.

Know people having same issues and I never had any problems in SWTOR with connection and im playing since beta. I'm sure it's not problem on my side and I've reported this but no answer to this time.

Marcaunon
12.06.2012 , 04:48 AM | #365
I've also been having latency spike problems for a few weeks now.
Customer support is useless as always.

I play on RP server in Europe.

Few things I've noticed over time.
It seems worse when more people are on server. Like if you play early morning when everyone else is at work its fine. If you log in like 7pm its worse.
Things seem to be getting better slowly now that less F2P players are on.

I really do not think the issue is internet/connection related.
Many people in this thread have already posted traces/ping results ect.
But what I did was this:
I opened an infinite ping to the server on my 2nd screen. I live in south africa so it sits at around 175msecs.
So now I can play the game and watch the ping on the other screen.
The ping never does anything wrong. No dropped/timeouts. Never more than say 190msecs.
But the ingame latency can go red anytime. And jump around like crazy.
Sometimes ingame latency will report like 1000msecs++ (even more) and yet the ping is responding perfectly.
Ping packets are ICMP data which is lowest priority, so anything else UDP/TCP should theoretically work better?
But maybe I have something wrong...

Point is I ping server out of game in windows and get ~180msecs consistently.
Ingame I get anything from 170msecs and up to the 1000msecs+ range. And sometimes for multiple seconds its as if communication just shuts down.
This is on the same pc, same router, same internet connection, at exactly the same time.

How do you explain that? Well someday customer support might help me, but I doubt it.
Only reason I can think is that somehow the server is actually not responding to my client as it should.
Or for some reason my client is not actually sending data to the server?

What is however weird is that only some people are affected by this.
When I once said I died because of a lag spike (the server timed out on me for like 10secs in a boss fight) everybody else on the server called me bad things and says it must be my fault. (Clearly its my fault and I'm a ******* that understands nothing... but neither can anyone explain this to me)
So why would everything be fine for most people but not all?

Similarly I also saw people complain about lag at times when everything was fine for me. So I guess it goes both ways.
My theory is perhaps the server gets a bit overloaded on something or other and then at that time only service 99% of its clients?

Anyways the one thing that has been consistent so far in this game have been its completely utterly terrible customer support.

Missandei
12.06.2012 , 07:07 AM | #366
Quote: Originally Posted by Marcaunon View Post
What is however weird is that only some people are affected by this.
When I once said I died because of a lag spike (the server timed out on me for like 10secs in a boss fight) everybody else on the server called me bad things and says it must be my fault. (Clearly its my fault and I'm a ******* that understands nothing... but neither can anyone explain this to me)
So why would everything be fine for most people but not all?
The swtor server is actually consists of clusters.
And if you'll use the [netstat] upon you login into the game at the same server you can see that each time you connected to different IP address.
For my experience, some clusters/servers (IP addresses) have a bigger chance to disconnect than others.
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

ElevenBfour
12.06.2012 , 01:20 PM | #367
Adding my self to this list. Lag is making it so I can hardly play. Don't say it's my equipment as I've always been able to run at max settings 40+ fps all the time, until this last patch. Here's to hoping it gets fixed.

This is honestly my first problem I've ever had with SWTOR. So I guess I can't complain too much. But please fix it, it's unplayable for me since patch.

charonbond
12.06.2012 , 11:56 PM | #368
Server: Prophecy of the Five
ISP: Cox Communications
Speedtest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2356532308.png

Marcaunon
12.07.2012 , 01:09 AM | #369
Still no feedback from CS or anything.
So bump.

Godfather
12.07.2012 , 03:29 AM | #370
Just adding my voice to this.
Server: The Red Eclipse
Serious lag issues at peak times for the last couple of weeks. While observing the latency in game, i see the server lag going from 90ms, which is what i always had on swtor, to 5000ms or even more and getting lag spikes all the time. This has started happening since F2P went live. I think everyone would be pretty happy to see an update on this from a dev.
Thanks.