Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Best tanking spec


Talon_Starfire's Avatar


Talon_Starfire
11.30.2012 , 05:31 PM | #1
What is the best tanking spec my guildy recommends http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rskMZbZcMcRM.2
Thanks
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

Rynis's Avatar


Rynis
11.30.2012 , 05:38 PM | #2
To be honest that spec you listed is pretty bad.

Now I'm not sure if you're talking about PvP or PvE but here are a few:

Most common 31/0/10 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMokrskbsZZf0cM.2

I like to use Nerve Wracking in my PvE spec 34/0/7 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMokrskfsZZf00M.2

Great PvP spec with a great deal of utility 23/1/17 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rskZzZf0cRrM.2

Hope that helps, and good luck!
#AlmightyTeejus-#twitch.tv/bjagz

Talon_Starfire's Avatar


Talon_Starfire
11.30.2012 , 05:45 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rynis View Post
To be honest that spec you listed is pretty bad.

Now I'm not sure if you're talking about PvP or PvE but here are a few:

Most common 31/0/10 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMokrskbsZZf0cM.2

I like to use Nerve Wracking in my PvE spec 34/0/7 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIMokrskfsZZf00M.2

Great PvP spec with a great deal of utility 23/1/17 - http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...rskZzZf0cRrM.2

Hope that helps, and good luck!
its for both
May the Gray Jedi Order Prevail Server: Prophecy of the Five
Looking for Sith guild.
Jhornak - Sith Assassin Zarchon - Jedi Shadow Cadezann - Smuggler Vistani -Trooper

_Darkstar's Avatar


_Darkstar
12.03.2012 , 04:33 AM | #4
Thank you for both these specs, I have just returned and started to level a Sin Tank so these seem useful.

I have a few PvE questions though if you do not mind:

Madness: Torment - Does that reduced force cost make a large difference? I was looking at Deception: Dark Embrace as an alternative, but I don't know how often you go into an out of stealth at high level.

Madness: Oppressing Force - My last character was a Madness Sorc and I LOVE Whirlwind with all my heart, is it truly useless for a tank or could some utility be gained from this talent? I wish I had enough points for Madness: Haunted Dreams as well But even without that is the lowered cooldown on Electrocute worth it? (Especially if used in conjunction with Darkness: Nerve Wracking)

Darkness: Nerve Wracking - This talent looks awesome, but are the large operation bosses immune to Spike/Electrocute? If so I am not sure how useful it would be because does anything else need burning down that much faster?

Darkness: Swelling Shadows - Does Dark Charge apply it's charges well enough out of the box that you can skip this talent? Does that include levelling?
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

verfallen's Avatar


verfallen
12.03.2012 , 06:47 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
Thank you for both these specs, I have just returned and started to level a Sin Tank so these seem useful.

I have a few PvE questions though if you do not mind:

Madness: Torment - Does that reduced force cost make a large difference? I was looking at Deception: Dark Embrace as an alternative, but I don't know how often you go into an out of stealth at high level.

As a tank, if you drop fight to pop regen, chances are your team will be pissed something bad. That might be nice in some solo pve fight, but imo thrash fight are not worth any points in an end-game spec. For longer fight (lets say 30 sec or more, which means pretty much every fights) Torment quickly save you more force than Dark Embrace made you gain at start, and thats supposing you actually always regen in those 6 seconds, since I know for one I'll often be taunting, pulling mob to place them before hitting the rotation, safe for one shock possibly

Madness: Oppressing Force - My last character was a Madness Sorc and I LOVE Whirlwind with all my heart, is it truly useless for a tank or could some utility be gained from this talent? I wish I had enough points for Madness: Haunted Dreams as well But even without that is the lowered cooldown on Electrocute worth it? (Especially if used in conjunction with Darkness: Nerve Wracking)

What is mostly useless is Assassin doesnt get the extension to 60 seconds sorc gets. So you are not using it very often. In ops, you'll have people with better cc with you, in solo PvE, its going to be vastly unused as well imo. As for the conjunction with nerve racking...

Darkness: Nerve Wracking - This talent looks awesome, but are the large operation bosses immune to Spike/Electrocute? If so I am not sure how useful it would be because does anything else need burning down that much faster?

...in PvE its vastly useless. Its mainly a PvP tool, to help your team focus a target, and I'd only consider it if I was running with people who would actually focus a target, so a premade. As I believe your point was PvE, most foe that would benefit from a dps boost are bosses, that are immune to your controlling effects, the rest will die at the same speed regardless. So for PvE, not worth it.

Darkness: Swelling Shadows - Does Dark Charge apply it's charges well enough out of the box that you can skip this talent? Does that include levelling?

Lets look at it another way. I actually never ran the maths, but you have maybe about 3 attacks in 4,5 seconds considering GCD. So you have really maybe 1/3 chances of it not procing optimally, very very very approximative numbers.

This might sound fine, but now, ask yourself where else you'd put those 2 points, that you need to invest to get to high tiers. A 10 damage increase on Dark Charge procs? (massive 3 dps/seconds...stop me someone, I'm going crazy from ALL that damage!!) an extra 2% health? Nerve wracking, which I already explained why I think its mostly not worth it for PvE? Its still the best return you can get for those 2 points, as it makes self heal from it more constant.

Used to be a no brainer when you could get Overcharge saber to reduce rate limit on dark charge, now I can see why you are wondering, 50% being a nice proc rate by itself, but I'll say its 2 points you cannot get more for elsewhere. You may want to get abilities before it, damage buff on thrash, that extra 1% of endurance while leveling (at lower level, 1% is nicer than at 50 imo) but I guarantee you at level 33 and 34 at the latest, you'll end up putting the two darn points in it to keep going up the tree.

Answers in red



To answer the OP about spec, the "cookie cutter" spec of 31/0/10 (http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsrokrskbsZZf0cM.2) is the one I use for very nice threat holding and survivability.

Wither in PvE is simply too good to pass up, and still very useful in PvP unless you want to be the "lone wolf" stealther that burn down target, to which deception or hybrids are better suited.

But that spec is never going to let you down, weither you are in pvp, main tanking a pve ops, offtanking that same ops, tanking an hm fp, or just soloing things.

Its strong points will remain if you are main tank or tanking an HM FP however, or just soloing things on your own.


However, if you have access to handy field respec, then you'll be able to play around at will, especially as a subscriber post F2P (1,5).

You might want to consider for PvP something like this : http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMokrskZcZfbcor.2

Or variant that go farther up the deception tree for boosted maul crit, or farther up the darkness tree to keep Harnessed Darkness, which is a very nice damage/survivability mix.


If you are to be the offtank of an ops, it does means you'll often have the boss back to you, so altering the 31/0/10 spec to become something like http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsrokrskbsZcZf0M.2 (31/3/7) to dish out a bit more dps in a position where main tanks wouldn't gain crap from it.

I would certainly consider it on many fights especially if you do not swap often due to mechanic, so you are basically there for further fights, or "just in case".

If you ain't familiar enough with the spec tough, stick to 31/0/10, classics are classics for a reason You know they work!

_Darkstar's Avatar


_Darkstar
12.03.2012 , 09:30 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by verfallen View Post
Answers in red
Thank you very much, just the type of thing I wanted to hear

When I was levelling my sorc back on release I always went 'classic with a twist' which is what I am aiming for now. i always feel that if I can't change something to match my style more than a generic template it means I don't understand something well enough.

The build you linked is more along the lines of what I was thinking, because I did think Darkness: Swelling Shadows looked like a good investment (More is more!), and I suspected Darkness: Nerve Wracking wouldn't work on anything worth using it on.

I have just convinced myself that Madness: Torment is better than I first thought, because when I made the last post I didn't realise how important Shock was to Darkness builds. So I will definately keep that now.

I also forgot that we don't get the 60 Whirlwind that sorcs get, a fact that annoys me already when playing so I don't know how I forgot lol! So I agree that would be a wasted power.

Darkness: Electric Execution is now the only power I am thinking about making room for, likely by dropping the point in Darkness: Shroud of Darkness, and maybe by dropping Darkness: Thrashing Blades, but I plan on working out the maths on that once I hit 50. I have a feeling that Thrashing Blades will work out better, but I don't want it to
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

verfallen's Avatar


verfallen
12.03.2012 , 03:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
Thank you very much, just the type of thing I wanted to hear

When I was levelling my sorc back on release I always went 'classic with a twist' which is what I am aiming for now. i always feel that if I can't change something to match my style more than a generic template it means I don't understand something well enough.

The build you linked is more along the lines of what I was thinking, because I did think Darkness: Swelling Shadows looked like a good investment (More is more!), and I suspected Darkness: Nerve Wracking wouldn't work on anything worth using it on.

I have just convinced myself that Madness: Torment is better than I first thought, because when I made the last post I didn't realise how important Shock was to Darkness builds. So I will definately keep that now.

I also forgot that we don't get the 60 Whirlwind that sorcs get, a fact that annoys me already when playing so I don't know how I forgot lol! So I agree that would be a wasted power.

Darkness: Electric Execution is now the only power I am thinking about making room for, likely by dropping the point in Darkness: Shroud of Darkness, and maybe by dropping Darkness: Thrashing Blades, but I plan on working out the maths on that once I hit 50. I have a feeling that Thrashing Blades will work out better, but I don't want it to

Electric execution boost your charges proc damage, you the associated discharge. It is not worth it, especially versus thrashing blades.

The one point in shroud of darkness could be moved there if you really want it I guess tough.

Eternalnight's Avatar


Eternalnight
12.03.2012 , 05:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
Darkness: Nerve Wracking - This talent looks awesome, but are the large operation bosses immune to Spike/Electrocute? If so I am not sure how useful it would be because does anything else need burning down that much faster?
There is one, just one, operation boss fight where having Nerve Wracking can be useful.
That is Kephess in Explosive Conflict. Now even there the boss himself as well as all the other adds are immune to stuns and knockdowns so it will do nothing to them, but the Baradium Bombers there that you need to be able to kill very quickly without fail, can be stunned and if the dps in group is kind of bad, then having points in Nerve Wracking can help to give them that little dps increase to make killing that last Baradium Bomber a little easier.

Even then I would only put 2 points in it as giving it all 3 points would take away points from more important skills, so the spec would be like this:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIMokrskrsZZf0cM.2

On any other boss fight Nerve Wracking is completely useless.

Eternalnight's Avatar


Eternalnight
12.03.2012 , 05:42 PM | #9
but for normal circumstances, I say this is the only way to go:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200MIrokrskbsZZf0cM.2

_Darkstar's Avatar


_Darkstar
12.04.2012 , 04:50 AM | #10
Thank you all, I feel I have learned a lot from this thread

It looks like it is going to come down to experience and how hard the content you take on is if the 3% endurance will be worth taking over the damage boosting skills, so while levelling I will likely skip the endurance and go for damage, and if I feel that lack of hp is making me harder to heal than necessary I will spec that back in to give the healers a tiny bit of extra breathing room.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!