Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Star Wars VII - will it add a boost to the popularity of The Old Republic?

Wrench
12.04.2012 , 04:07 AM | #1
Hi Guys,

So.. im a HUGE Star Wars fan, as I know most of you are too. We're also no doubt all aware of the mixed feelings in the Star Wars community surrounding the news that Disney is at the reins and we now have a definate 7th film in 2015 with more potential sequels every 2 years after that..

Personally as a Star Wars of going on 3 decades, I have mixed feelings... on the one hand im scared that the new hands at the reins will charge off into the sunset ripping the preciously constucted lore to shreds on the way... but on the other hand im thinking.. YES!!!! more visual Star Wars stories to watch and enjoy... To be honest its a 20-80% split.. the 80 being the excitment factor!

But anyway, back to my initial point of this thread.. With the inevitable hype for the new films, will there be a hike in the interest and draw to our beloved Star Wars The Old Republic MMO?
The films will no doubt draw in the next generation of StarWars fans to the cause, but will they also come our way as well...???

What are your thoughts?
Echo Seven
UK based Galactic Republic Guild & Community
http://www.echoseven.eu

ConradLionhart
12.04.2012 , 04:18 AM | #2
I'm pessimistic about this and I think future star wars movies won't live up to the hype.

Will George Lucas have an input? Why didn't HE create new movies of star wars before he sold it to Disney?
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

kinghtown
12.04.2012 , 04:22 AM | #3
I'm not a huge fan of the Marvel movies, not a huge fan of Marvel Comics in general, but they are good and they are true to the original comics in ways that I appreciate. I would love it, and I think it would be wise, for Disney to buy X-Men off Fox and make a Pixar animated TV show but I digress..

They have wisely been hands-off with Marvel Entertainment and they have been rewarded massively with lots of cash for staying away and letting a no-brainer like true Marvel movies happen.

Disney has been making really smart decisions all across the board except for their own Animation studio which hasn't made a great movie in Decades, it seems. I think they also need to loosen up with their hold on Pixar and let them up the maturity level a bit, at least for every other movie- which to their credit they at least sort of do anyways. John Carter was a huge mistake as well but the movie itself was okay at the end of the day. They are very aware of the disappointment people have had for the last three Star Wars movies and how they have under performed financially compared to the original trilogy. They learned a valuable lesson with Marvel to *STAY AWAY* and they have only made a lot of money in the process. I am convinced they will do the same with the next movies and TV shows for decades to come. Merchandising on the other hand will be ruled with a white glove iron fist

People will probably always love Star Wars. I can't really think of another studio which I'd rather own Star Wars than Disney. Sony? Fox? MGM? You have to admit there has always been a friendship between George Lucas and Disney. At the end of the day I really like that Disney owns Star Wars now.

Star Wars theme park. Pixar animated Star Wars show. Movies without ANY involvement from George Lucas.. only good things will come of this.

Wrench
12.04.2012 , 04:23 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
I'm pessimistic about this and I think future star wars movies won't live up to the hype.

Will George Lucas have an input? Why didn't HE create new movies of star wars before he sold it to Disney?
I see your point, but I think that considering episodes 1-3 werent hugely well recieved by fans.. that following on an doing more films might have filled him with more trepidation. At least by stepping back and letting others make the decisions for moving the stories forward, he can then contribute from a creative standpoint and not get the blunt of the blame if the films arent successful...

But I do hope that the films marketing might also rub off on our MMO and get people interested all over again.. and even bring back some members who might have left as of late.
Echo Seven

Vitas
12.04.2012 , 04:23 AM | #5
If the developers were to somehow tie the film with the game then it might. Any of the new worlds featured in Episode 7 - 9 could be made explorable or any new species could become playable or a companion.

Additionally, SWTOR advertisements could be displayed in any tie-in media with the films ie. comics, novels, reference guides, activity books, video games and trading cards.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

Wrench
12.04.2012 , 04:31 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Vitas View Post
If the developers were to somehow tie the film with the game then it might. Any of the new worlds featured in Episode 7 - 9 could be made explorable or any new species could become playable or a companion.

Additionally, SWTOR advertisements could be displayed in any tie-in media with the films ie. comics, novels, reference guides, activity books, video games and trading cards.
I like your thinking there buddy.. Tie'ins... good thoughts there!
Echo Seven

Vitas
12.04.2012 , 04:39 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
I like your thinking there buddy.. Tie'ins... good thoughts there!
On certain occasions, Star Wars Galaxies would feature ships, plot lines and locations which tied in with various novels, games and other media. There was the Death Troopers update, Episode III Rage of the Wookiees Expansion Pak, Trials of Obi-Wan Expansion Pak which brought in HK-47 and Mustafar, and the G9 Rigger freighter ship from the Clone Wars film.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

Fornix
12.04.2012 , 04:40 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
I see your point, but I think that considering episodes 1-3 werent hugely well recieved by fans.. that following on an doing more films might have filled him with more trepidation. At least by stepping back and letting others make the decisions for moving the stories forward, he can then contribute from a creative standpoint and not get the blunt of the blame if the films arent successful...

But I do hope that the films marketing might also rub off on our MMO and get people interested all over again.. and even bring back some members who might have left as of late.
I highly doubt fans of the original trilogy are going to enjoy the upcoming Star Wars movies. Regardless of whether George Lucas wrote the stories or not. After all, the story will most likely once more involve fast-paced action scenes, heavy use of CGI, etc. Things which were never welcomed for one, but without a doubt will return.

Additionally, once again it will become a family friendly film, and as such will include story plots and characters which will not be liked by all.

All of which truly was nothing new, but after many original trilogy fans idolized those films so much, they no longer see the hairy ape making funny sounds, or fail to see how much CGI is actually involved in the original trilogy if you think about which time it's made.
Member of <Helix>

limadoc
12.04.2012 , 05:03 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
I highly doubt fans of the original trilogy are going to enjoy the upcoming Star Wars movies. Regardless of whether George Lucas wrote the stories or not. After all, the story will most likely once more involve fast-paced action scenes, heavy use of CGI, etc. Things which were never welcomed for one, but without a doubt will return.

Additionally, once again it will become a family friendly film, and as such will include story plots and characters which will not be liked by all.

All of which truly was nothing new, but after many original trilogy fans idolized those films so much, they no longer see the hairy ape making funny sounds, or fail to see how much CGI is actually involved in the original trilogy if you think about which time it's made.
So what you're saying is that those people are close-minded old nerds who don't appreciate modern films. Nice.
Personally, the reasons I disliked Episodes 1-3 are different than what you are imagining, but go ahead and believe what you will.

RixoFutu
12.04.2012 , 05:11 AM | #10
I love all SW movies. Clone Wars too. Hell i will love any SW movie, just because im huge fanboy and SW fan with my whole heart!

And no, i don't think that movie will bring more players to SWTOR. People who likes movies aren't all players, especially MMO, etc.
"Once, I thought myself a monster. I played in rivers of blood and laughed as innocents quaked. Yet when I touched the Dread Masters, I saw that my darkness was but a shadow of true depravity."