Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stats and How They Work

Daellia
07.17.2012 , 09:33 AM | #11
Your actual crit chance is a sum of many different sources. You get 5% baseline, another 5% from the Smuggler buff, up to another 5% from skills (depending on your spec), and then some from crit rating and willpower.

The amount you get from crit rating is on diminishing returns. This means that every point you get gives you a smaller boost to your crit chance than the last point did. This is based entirely and only on how much crit rating you have, though. Your crit chance can never be increased by more than 30% by Crit Rating alone (though there's no hard limit on your actual crit chance).

Willpower works similarly. Each point gives you less of an increase to your crit chance than the previous point did, and similar to Crit Rating, this is based only off how much Willpower you have. Again, like Crit Rating, your crit chance can never be increased by more than 30% by Willpower alone.

So, for example, you could have 20% contribution to your crit chance from Crit Rating (which is less than the 30% cap from Crit Rating), and another 20% from Willpower (which is also less than the 30% cap on Willpower). Together with your 5% baseline crit chance and your 5% from the Smuggler buff, that gives you a 50% crit chance. Note that this final crit chance is above 30%. The 30% cap only applies to the benefit you can receive from Willpower and Crit Rating, and applies to each separately.

The primary difference between Crit Rating and Willpower is how quickly their benefit falls off. Crit Rating gives far more crit chance per point initially (about 5-6 times as much, actually), but diminishes much more rapidly. Where it might take you 2500 Willpower to halve the amount of crit chance you receive per point of Willpower, it'll only take you about 450 Crit Rating to do the same per point of Crit Rating.

Make more sense?

If not, think of this visual analogy (I find visualizations often help me understand something):

You've got two large wide funnels, about 2 feet across at their top. You plug the bottom ends, then start filling them up. Because the funnels are much wider the farther up the water goes, it takes more and more water to increase the water level by the same amount (say an inch). DR works similarly, except the design of the funnel is that it would take an infinite amount of water to fill the funnel entirely up to the brim.

Willpower and Crit Rating are in separate funnels next to each other. How much water you have in one doesn't affect how full the other one is (and vice versa), but your crit chance is equivalent to the total height of the water in both funnels added together.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

Aital
11.25.2012 , 10:07 AM | #12
I was curios. Does anyone know if the Force accuracy cuts into armor reduction at all. Or PVP reduction? Or just the resistance to force/tech?

Zunayson
11.25.2012 , 10:11 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aital View Post
I was curios. Does anyone know if the Force accuracy cuts into armor reduction at all. Or PVP reduction? Or just the resistance to force/tech?
Just resistance. Armor pen is only granted by... armor pen.
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

Darth_Dreselus
11.25.2012 , 10:33 AM | #14
As noted in the first post, Accuracy on Force/Tech attacks is useless. Bosses have no resistance and the highest resistance players have is 2% (Tank Shadow, Scrapper Scoundrel and PvE tank set bonus on Vanguard, maybe some others not sure exactly). Terentateks have some Force resistance but that's only the bonus boss of Maelstorm Prison and trash. The PvP damage reduction works the same way as any tree reductions, i.e a flat decrease regardless of type of attack.

Question:

When would Power theoretically overtake Willpower? (While specced into Will of the Jedi, active Consular and Knight buffs as well as the comp buff, if there is one I am not sure)
No One Important Died Tavernus - Sorc / Taverna - Mara / Pintus - Op / Gintonica - PT
The Red Eclipse. Sweet Dreams to all my Harbinger children.

Aurojiin
11.25.2012 , 11:41 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Dreselus View Post
When would Power theoretically overtake Willpower? (While specced into Will of the Jedi, active Consular and Knight buffs as well as the comp buff, if there is one I am not sure)
No relevant companion buff. At any rate, under those conditions Power would take the lead on a 1:1 basis somewhere in the vicinity of 9,000 Willpower.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

Kitru
11.25.2012 , 01:45 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Dreselus View Post
To explain this, Willpower adds to Bonus Damage at a slower rate than Power does. Willpower is only more valuable because it also adds to crit rate (at a substantially diminished rate compared to Crit rating, but also on a completely different DR curve that is *way* more shallow than any other). When WP gets sufficiently high, the diminishing returns on Willpower's crit contribution will reduce the benefit such that the Bonus Damage contributions are the only appreciable addition and, as such, Power becomes more valuable.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Darth_Dreselus
12.03.2012 , 09:00 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
To explain this, Willpower adds to Bonus Damage at a slower rate than Power does. Willpower is only more valuable because it also adds to crit rate (at a substantially diminished rate compared to Crit rating, but also on a completely different DR curve that is *way* more shallow than any other). When WP gets sufficiently high, the diminishing returns on Willpower's crit contribution will reduce the benefit such that the Bonus Damage contributions are the only appreciable addition and, as such, Power becomes more valuable.
????

Well yes that is exactly how Willpower v Power works, as is explained in the OP. My question was when MS it would 'theoretically' overtake power. The question has been answered, even though an actual calculation would be nice. You just told me what I already knew and did not ask for.

And it is very useful, I am now running at 250ish crit rating but still have 40% crti, just because of all that MS. meaning I have a **** tonne of free rating all dedicated to power.

Also anyone know the number for Sentinels/Shadows, i.e. classes without mainstat buffs in tree.
No One Important Died Tavernus - Sorc / Taverna - Mara / Pintus - Op / Gintonica - PT
The Red Eclipse. Sweet Dreams to all my Harbinger children.