Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lalainnia
12.01.2012 , 11:38 PM | #391
^This
Donna-Commando-Combat Medic
When we care for others our own strength to live increases. When we help people expand their state of life, our lives also expand. Actions to benefit others are not separate from actions to benefit oneself.

fungihoujo
12.02.2012 , 06:27 AM | #392
So apparently BW thinks mercs just need to get good at pillar humping to rock, and sorcs just need to kite classes that all have gap closers at their casting range.

I'm waiting for the breaking news story when a BW dev actually pvps for the first time in their life.

XProdigyX
12.02.2012 , 06:36 AM | #393
I can't believe they gave corner/wall hugging as something to use. Obviously other ranged classes can also do that, BUT they also have even more tools to deal with melee, defensive cooldowns, and/or good mobility. Couple changes I would do:
  • Barrage procs allow that Unload to be castable while moving. This gives us a snare on the move (FINALLY) and some damage mobility.
  • Lower Thermal Sensor and Power Surge CD's to 1 min. Or Allow them to have stacks to give the next 3 or so abilities to get the effect.
  • Move the PowerShield talent in Bodyguard tree to switch with Superchaged Gas.
These changes wouldn't be very difficult IMO, but would really improve gameplay of the class.
I am the Alpha & the Omega, witness my perfection!

NoTomorrow
12.02.2012 , 07:13 AM | #394
Quote: Originally Posted by MarshalltheFlaw View Post
I'm looking at this through the sage goggles. I would kill for Full Auto+Demo round burst. If you think killing a healer is hard on a Commando, try it on an operative or sage. It is truly laughable. However, all burst is relative when compared to a smash/sweep knight/warrior. The burst for the trooper/bh is all tied to grav/tracer so in that sense it sucks
Ranged dps is not supposed to be a healer hard counter and it never was. Of all 3 classes, only sniper MM is the only class capable to al least threaten healers.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

cashogy
12.02.2012 , 08:47 AM | #395
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
Ranged dps is not supposed to be a healer hard counter and it never was. Of all 3 classes, only sniper MM is the only class capable to al least threaten healers.
please tell that to all the healers i kill

not to deter from the issue at hand; merc still needs to be given the tools to compete at a high level

ArchangelLBC
12.02.2012 , 12:55 PM | #396
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
please tell that to all the healers i kill

not to deter from the issue at hand; merc still needs to be given the tools to compete at a high level

Being able to kill healers and being actually well suited to the task aren't the same thing.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

cashogy
12.02.2012 , 01:42 PM | #397
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Being able to kill healers and being actually well suited to the task aren't the same thing.
i know lol. if the vast majority of the playerbase wasnt so bad, playing a merc would be even more dismal

klham
12.02.2012 , 06:55 PM | #398
Just came from an endless series of huttball matches. There are soooo many issues with this AC. The 100% lack of immunity to leaps + the prevalence of fotm Smashmonkeys in PvP now means that having a semi-immobile commando/merc guarding a strategic point is a liability. Dps commandos need to get off-node, off-objective, away from the ledges at mid, and onto the fringes. Put a gunslinger/sniper up above the ball respawn or across the acid/fire pits instead. Commando/mercs casting from a node or across a map hazard are continually used as pylons by leapers to get across the map instantly and totally bypass mdps, z-axis, obstacles and hazards. How many times have you seen a ball carrier leap the commando to get across the acid pool, change their z-axis or fast-track across a bridge. It just seems contrary to the whole concept of this "heavy armor" AC that they need need to skulk on the fringes of the fight, but there you go. And can commandos not get at least a half-assed movement buff?

Jherad
12.02.2012 , 11:03 PM | #399
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
Just came from an endless series of huttball matches. There are soooo many issues with this AC. The 100% lack of immunity to leaps + the prevalence of fotm Smashmonkeys in PvP now means that having a semi-immobile commando/merc guarding a strategic point is a liability. Dps commandos need to get off-node, off-objective, away from the ledges at mid, and onto the fringes. Put a gunslinger/sniper up above the ball respawn or across the acid/fire pits instead. Commando/mercs casting from a node or across a map hazard are continually used as pylons by leapers to get across the map instantly and totally bypass mdps, z-axis, obstacles and hazards. How many times have you seen a ball carrier leap the commando to get across the acid pool, change their z-axis or fast-track across a bridge. It just seems contrary to the whole concept of this "heavy armor" AC that they need need to skulk on the fringes of the fight, but there you go. And can commandos not get at least a half-assed movement buff?
No. Nor can we get more utility or DPS.

Why?

Because GETBACKINYOURBOXYOUDIRTYCOMMANDO! is why.

We don't have glowsticks. We're supposed to lose. It's thematically appropriate or something. Buff Warriors/Knights some more.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

cashogy
12.02.2012 , 11:38 PM | #400
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
No. Nor can we get more utility or DPS.

Why?

Because GETBACKINYOURBOXYOUDIRTYCOMMANDO! is why.

We don't have glowsticks. We're supposed to lose. It's thematically appropriate or something. Buff Warriors/Knights some more.
but there was that cinematic trailer where the commando guy blows up a grenade right in that sith lord's face! and he lives!

THERE IS LEGAL PRECEDENT I TELL YOU!!!