Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tank in PvP

VanderII
12.02.2012 , 06:55 AM | #1
What do you think about tank classes in PvP? I'm a jedi knight full tank and I think to be useless, I usually lost every round, all classes (dps; sith sage; imperial agent etc.) win against me so, doyou think it's usual this situation?
- Neithan Legacy -
- A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R.T

cashogy
12.02.2012 , 07:08 AM | #2
Tank is not a solo class in PvP. to be effective you need a good healer and at least 1-2 good DPS with you.

youre basically a meat shield, with a lot of health and a few decent utility abilities. a good tank will make a decent group of players relatively unstoppable, especially in pug warzones

CaptainApop
12.02.2012 , 07:25 AM | #3
You aren't supposed to be running around solo killing people in pvp as a tank. You're there to protect the healers and lower the enemy teams potential damage.

The damage you do and kills you rack up are incidental bonuses.
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Raansu
12.02.2012 , 07:35 AM | #4
Team based pvp is team based. Find yourself a pocket healer and laugh as 6 people try to kill you while your stealth friend ninja caps.

Belly
12.02.2012 , 07:43 AM | #5
Yeah, you should never be alone as a tank. Protection is a bit undervalued in comparison to healing, but if you have a couple guys properly using their taunts and guards, you are gonna be a tough team to contend with.
Larcen 50(ish) Scoundrel Scrapper/Sawbones "They see me rollin...they hatin. They whining and sayin that I need some nerfin"
The Progenitor
And loads and loads of alts

TipsyDrow
12.02.2012 , 07:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by VanderII View Post
What do you think about tank classes in PvP? I'm a jedi knight full tank and I think to be useless, I usually lost every round, all classes (dps; sith sage; imperial agent etc.) win against me so, doyou think it's usual this situation?
Check this lil guide out.
http://watchmen.activeboard.com/t501...hole-guardian/

iDraxter
12.02.2012 , 07:54 AM | #7
spam aoe snare and taunts, guard targets that are taking hits, mezz groups of enemies to buy time for allies, push that melee dps-er off ur healer, use ur def cooldowns to hold the line for reinforcements to arrive
Firebat: Need a light?
It`s your money-but if I have spent as much time killing Jedi instead of your own kind...you might be winning this war

VanderII
12.02.2012 , 08:09 AM | #8
Thanks for the guide Yes of course it's not a solo class but, sometimes i like organize 1v1 match and I've always lose these matches
- Neithan Legacy -
- A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities. - J.R.R.T

adiwantinova
12.02.2012 , 10:49 AM | #9
I used to be a fully augmented WH war leader, 31-point guardian with mostly +def augs (some +str/+end augs to give me some offense). I could actually do between 125-200k dmg with somewhere between 100-200k protection.

I was always left to solo guard nodes/doors because no class could take me down 1v1 in less than 30-45s.

Then I realized something. I wasn't a tank... I was a bunker.

I had absolutely no offense. As a tank guarding an off node, you are a liability to your team, because if the other team sends just one to take your guard, they have to send at least one person to help you ... That leaves the rest of your team at a potential numerical disadvantage, and the best teams can exploit this small window to turn the tide in the WZ.

So, I rebuilt myself. I picked up a suit of DPS gear.

I began playing all vigilance (full DPS), to learn rotations necessary to push damage.

Now, if I need to tank, I'll use this template:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#50...forRRhzzMZ0M.2

If its a Huttball, I'll wear my full tank gear set/relics/etc. If I'm solo guarding a node now, I will mix/match my setup.

Often, I will swap to DPS set bonus gear + tanking relics/implants/ear. If solo guarding, I will keep Soresu stance up (to protect against stealthers), and if I can see someone coming to challenge (a non-stealth class), I will swap into Shien stance, and attack. If a stealth class hits me with their opener, I'll separate them (push/awe), then get Shien activated before I attack.

Don't be a bunker. Be a tank. Find some offense, because frankly ... Your defense isn't as good as you think.
ADI-WAN TINOVA
Adi-Wan, Sentinel | Theresee, Sage | Kahlvin, Guardian
The Shadowlands | <RotJ> | <Triumph>

ArchArcher
12.03.2012 , 03:58 AM | #10
Maybe add to every class that their tank form have passive active 15 to 20m taunt/aggro aura. All enemies within that range do 15 to 20% less damage to your group members. Could boost it up to something crazy like 30% damage reduction At least now your useful.