Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server lag is inexcusable

Thoffs
12.01.2012 , 08:44 AM | #81
The other day a guild PUG group I was with was trying Nightmare Pilgrim. We tried about 4 times, and kept hitting enrage (by a lot, like 15-20%). The DPS were complaining bitterly about lag and ability delay (I am heals - I was getting lag also). I was ready to give up thinking that we just did not have the DPS, but somebody noticed that there was an instance 2 so we transferred there. For some weird reason, we were the only people in the instance. We then one-shot the Nightmare Pilgrim, and the dps said they had little to no lag (my lag also disappeared).

This is server side lag. It needs to be addressed by the powers that be. I agree that it is inexcusable.

doctor_atomic
12.01.2012 , 10:26 AM | #82
I play in prime time and have no server lag. I do crash about once an evening but that is related to the memory leak.

Before people complain about server lag they need to look at their internet connection, are you trying to connect using a dixie cup and wet string?
"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

TheSeventhJedi
12.01.2012 , 10:34 AM | #83
My lag was so bad this morning as to be unplayable. That memory leak probably isn't helping things. I'd love to play your game. Maybe you should fix it so I can!
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

Minack
12.01.2012 , 10:36 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by doctor_atomic View Post
I play in prime time and have no server lag. I do crash about once an evening but that is related to the memory leak.

Before people complain about server lag they need to look at their internet connection, are you trying to connect using a dixie cup and wet string?

Yeah bro, despite everyone in Mumble being separated by a few thousand miles of land and ocean all lagging at the same time in the same WZ, it clearly has to be my internet connection. GFY

Jedirep
12.01.2012 , 11:03 AM | #85
Why are people coming to the conclusion of just because they don't have lag, no one else should have lag, and if they do it's on their end. I mean where does this line of thinking come from.

The bottom line, the server lag and the unoptimized engine exist. The amount of people it is affecting or if it's not affecting you is completely irrelevant and does not add to the discussion. If you are not experiencing any lag issues, then don't post and certainly don't try to claim that it doesn't exist.

Only good can come from this, people are trying to report a problem in hopes that it will get fixed.
Server: Jedi Covenant. The Poindexter legacy.

Feskondo, Jedi Knight 50 Mulgiss Sith Sorcerer 50 Jaffus Mercenary 50 Fod'krodi Scoundrel 46

doctor_atomic
12.01.2012 , 11:37 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedirep View Post
Why are people coming to the conclusion of just because they don't have lag, no one else should have lag, and if they do it's on their end. I mean where does this line of thinking come from.

The bottom line, the server lag and the unoptimized engine exist. The amount of people it is affecting or if it's not affecting you is completely irrelevant and does not add to the discussion. If you are not experiencing any lag issues, then don't post and certainly don't try to claim that it doesn't exist.

Only good can come from this, people are trying to report a problem in hopes that it will get fixed.
This is very simple to explain, but perhaps not so simple to understand.

If there is server lag we all should be experiencing it. Server lag is not selective, it does not pick and choose who will have lag. If the server is lagging then everyone should be experiencing it. If you are experiencing lag and I am not then there is some other factor at work other than server lag.
"Personally, I play a warlock to set people on fire as they run in fear while I steal their souls. As an added perk, I play an undead warlock so I can eat their brains afterwards. I suppose a better question is, why do people play anything else?" (Unknown WoW forum poster)

Vandicus
12.01.2012 , 11:56 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Minack View Post
Yeah bro, despite everyone in Mumble being separated by a few thousand miles of land and ocean all lagging at the same time in the same WZ, it clearly has to be my internet connection. GFY
Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Vandicus
12.01.2012 , 11:59 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Thoffs View Post
The other day a guild PUG group I was with was trying Nightmare Pilgrim. We tried about 4 times, and kept hitting enrage (by a lot, like 15-20%). The DPS were complaining bitterly about lag and ability delay (I am heals - I was getting lag also). I was ready to give up thinking that we just did not have the DPS, but somebody noticed that there was an instance 2 so we transferred there. For some weird reason, we were the only people in the instance. We then one-shot the Nightmare Pilgrim, and the dps said they had little to no lag (my lag also disappeared).

This is server side lag. It needs to be addressed by the powers that be. I agree that it is inexcusable.
Actually what you just described sounds exactly like its not server lag. If the lag goes away based on how many people are around you, its not server lag buddy.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Eszi
12.01.2012 , 12:18 PM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Actually what you just described sounds exactly like its not server lag. If the lag goes away based on how many people are around you, its not server lag buddy.
And it's happening to every person in the group at the exactly same time by an accident

It's just impossible to kill dreadtooth with everyone getting double or triple gcds

Aleeha
12.01.2012 , 12:23 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Vandicus View Post
Orrrrr, it could be something in the instance you all are in suddenly overtaxing your processors or video cards simultaneously. That's still an issue with the game, but isn't actually caused by the servers, and as a result is much easier to resolve.
You are so incredibly wrong here it's funny. This is not a client side problem, this is a server side problem and if you knew anything about network engineering you would know this to be so.