Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Are free respecs messing with PvP?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Are free respecs messing with PvP?

Kuvox
11.30.2012 , 06:08 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Rylorn View Post
Here is what I see as the worst case scenario. In ranked, some team compositions will have 8 fixed players, meaning each player will play one build. Other compositions will have maybe 6 fixed players, and 2 players that can change as needed to accommodate different teams or warzones. I think this creates some competitive imbalance.

This unfairly creates a stronger need for certain classes solely based on their ability to change specs. The new bar for playing at the highest level becomes farming 2 sets of gear, which is unpleasant. I think if full dual speccing, or spec profiles were added to the game, the illusion that this wouldn't be a problem would be lifted.

With that said, this is a legit tactic right now, have fun.
I've played at least 25 ranked games since the introduction of free respecs for subscribers (likely more) and from what I've seen it's largely been a non-issue. Both sides tend to have players able to switch to tank/heals for the defense phase of Voidstar and usually both sides have those players do just that. As such, the potential advantage free respecs might give to one side has, it least from my experience, largely been negated because both sides are taking advantage of it.

Moreover, because you aren't certain which WZ you will get, the usefulness of pure DPS classes is still there. It's generally not wise to take, for example, 4 Sages/Sorcs into a ranked match just because they can DPS and heal, as you might run across a team full of lolsmashers who would likely make short work of such a team. I played four ranked matches yesterday and in each there were still Sentinels/Marauders, Snipers/Gunslingers, etc.

Mookind
11.30.2012 , 07:29 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtBranham View Post
I do it all the time as well. My juggernaut can go from full min/maxed rage or vengeance with 19k hp to an immortal/vengeance hybrid (i like the 27/12/x) with 26.3k hp for huttball or defense. I have got the switch down to like 15 sec including switching all the gear, rearranging my hotbars, and clicking all the buttons.

I don't think its that bad as everyone can do it but it certainly does favor us that have played more and have been able to acquire multiple sets of gear. That said, i think it should be removed from rateds but kept for normals. When half your group can be a pug, being able to respec to a useful/non-plentiful role goes along way for making the match less frustrating.
Pretty much this

Except in rated you should be able to change until the match starts, I like the idea of tailoring specs to maps/comps but you can't do that effectively until you know which map you are playing. Changing in the middle of the game is borderline unfair.

For example as a sorc I see a previously tanky but harmless jug running at me and say "i have time no rush but a jug is here to my team snow will be fine till we cap mid"

Turns out he went full rage spec and popped on his power heavy gear while he was away and just smashed me for a little under half my health and is now force choking me. **** hits the fan because I have no clue what I'm fighting. Very annoying. Granted I should probably notice when his health pool goes down. But with buffs/endure pain who knows whats going on.

Or the reverse of me and a team mate knowing there is only one defender snow, a rage jugg. Turns out he respecced and put on gear with defensive mods just to watch the cap. Sure he could switch his gear before the change but now he can switch into a tank spec which gives him the ability to generate rage while simply taking dmg, increasing his ability to stall by a lot. And puts our team at a disadvantage trying to pick on teh talkiest target in the game

This is the problem with in game re specs. Knowledge you glean from facing your opponent early in the match becomes borderline irrelevant.

Not a huge issue but I would welcome a change

NoTomorrow
11.30.2012 , 07:52 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by stringcat View Post
A "cheat"? Really?

I play a pure DPS clsas, and I don't mind. Yes, respec isn't as useful for marauders and snipers. ("I will kill people in different ways! BWAHAHA!") But ultimately, PVP is a team-based game, and you will be as advantaged from teammates switching roles as you would be switching yourself.
What are you smoking? Sniper MM, Engineering, lethality are all differen animals designed to kill different classes. I had enough games before the free repecs when i switched to leth only to end in a game against 5 sorc healers. Or go MM and end up against 4 tanks. We however dont have to worry about gear, we only have one set.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

NoTomorrow
11.30.2012 , 08:00 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
It elevates gameplay.

no reason to get stuck in a warzone with a build thats not ideal.

A team has no healers, become one.

A team has too many healers, dps.

No tanks guarding healers? itank.

too many tanks, not enough dps, ikill.

More variety, more fun.
If they put A DECENT MATCHMAKING based on classes that queue, like striving to get at least a balanced amount f dps healers and tanks, this WZ respeccing would not be necessary.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

UberDuberSoldat
11.30.2012 , 08:02 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
If they put A DECENT MATCHMAKING based on classes that queue, like striving to get at least a balanced amount f dps healers and tanks, this WZ respeccing would not be necessary.
your comments have literally nothing to do with respec's merits.
Darth Soldåt - Juggernaut Soldät - Powertech Darth Sôldat - Assassin

Smashbrother
11.30.2012 , 08:53 PM | #46
I've got no problems with being able to respec at the start of a match, but you def should not be able to do it once a match starts.

Now BW, please give us spec templates so we can swap easily.