Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Fate of the Silencer [Annihilation spoilers]

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
The Fate of the Silencer [Annihilation spoilers]

maxetius's Avatar


maxetius
11.22.2012 , 06:24 PM | #21
Like all the Empire protagonists and their accomplishments, it will be swept under the rug and never referred to outside of the game.

And you are all surprised at this?

magicallypuzzled's Avatar


magicallypuzzled
11.22.2012 , 06:56 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by maxetius View Post
Like all the Empire protagonists and their accomplishments, it will be swept under the rug and never referred to outside of the game.

And you are all surprised at this?
comments like this are a waste of time.

Darth_Vicente's Avatar


Darth_Vicente
11.29.2012 , 08:40 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
As I said, I'm aware of that. I was blaming the Wookiepedia article for being incorrect.
The main reason it's incorrect is because for a while, people assumed "Darth" was Dark Council only (not sure where that idea came from, but whatever), and even after it became clear that wasn't the case, no one bothered to correct it.


As a side note, while I'm fine with the fact that EVENTUALLY the Republic wins, it bothers me that every single Republic victory has people flogging to defend it with "The Republic wins anyway, so shut up".

I mean, how are we supposed to feel the Empire is any way a threat to ANYONE if they lose in every book they're featured in? Especially when the Empire's few victories are swept under the rug, like the examples in this thread.

As a Sith/Imperial fan, this is most disheartening.
Grand Lord of The Sovereign Aeons Server: Ebon Hawk
The Kinslayer Legacy
Darth Nšeblis | Darth Lanfear| Lord Ra'hvin| Cipher Agent Aludra| Ziare, Imperial Loyalist|Apprentice Telv'isa'sdra|Apprentice Gwynofar|Master Lews-Therin

pauljc's Avatar


pauljc
11.30.2012 , 12:17 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vicente View Post
I mean, how are we supposed to feel the Empire is any way a threat to ANYONE if they lose in every book they're featured in? Especially when the Empire's few victories are swept under the rug, like the examples in this thread.

As a Sith/Imperial fan, this is most disheartening.
Between this game and Mass Effect 3 I'm starting to think BioWare forgot about this little thing called the Dramatic Arc.

It seems like we're already on the "falling action" toward the resolution (the Republic wins in the end, which we all know to be the case). We've either skipped the climax, or it took place just in one class's story (the Emperor's death). Either way, for the other 7 classes, there's no drama, and it's frankly going to start to get kind of boring.

There's a reason Episode V was basically the Rebels getting their butts kicked. Again, nobody watching Star Wars for the first time honestly thought that there was even a slight chance the Alliance would get crushed and the Empire would reign supreme for all eternity. Obviously the good guys would win in the end. But if the original trilogy was basically just "Rebels blow up the Death Star and proceed from triumph to triumph until Luke kills the Emperor", it wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it was.

lokdron's Avatar


lokdron
11.30.2012 , 01:46 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Vicente View Post
The main reason it's incorrect is because for a while, people assumed "Darth" was Dark Council only (not sure where that idea came from, but whatever), and even after it became clear that wasn't the case, no one bothered to correct it.


As a side note, while I'm fine with the fact that EVENTUALLY the Republic wins, it bothers me that every single Republic victory has people flogging to defend it with "The Republic wins anyway, so shut up".

I mean, how are we supposed to feel the Empire is any way a threat to ANYONE if they lose in every book they're featured in? Especially when the Empire's few victories are swept under the rug, like the examples in this thread.

As a Sith/Imperial fan, this is most disheartening.
Exactly, lets just say I think the empire is going to lose even more stuff since the new lead writer was one of the main writers for JK and smuggler.
You have seen it, you have felt it within you as you have traveled with me. The growing anger, the rage, and the power it brings. Yet the power does not build without struggle. Through small cruelties greater ones are born. Kriea/Darth Traya
Dark side eye topic make your voice heard if you want canon movie sith eyes!

Kaisernick's Avatar


Kaisernick
11.30.2012 , 04:23 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by pauljc View Post
Between this game and Mass Effect 3 I'm starting to think BioWare forgot about this little thing called the Dramatic Arc.

It seems like we're already on the "falling action" toward the resolution (the Republic wins in the end, which we all know to be the case). We've either skipped the climax, or it took place just in one class's story (the Emperor's death). Either way, for the other 7 classes, there's no drama, and it's frankly going to start to get kind of boring.

There's a reason Episode V was basically the Rebels getting their butts kicked. Again, nobody watching Star Wars for the first time honestly thought that there was even a slight chance the Alliance would get crushed and the Empire would reign supreme for all eternity. Obviously the good guys would win in the end. But if the original trilogy was basically just "Rebels blow up the Death Star and proceed from triumph to triumph until Luke kills the Emperor", it wouldn't have been nearly as popular as it was.
i have a feeling that the next story chapter was supposed to be equivalent to ESB but weather we get it now that Bioware has shall we say had problems is another thing.

Jaigen's Avatar


Jaigen
12.05.2012 , 05:36 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by lokdron View Post
Exactly, lets just say I think the empire is going to lose even more stuff since the new lead writer was one of the main writers for JK and smuggler.
You have not played the smuggler DS have you? The DS smuggler is the only char in the game that can really screw up his faction (in this case the republic) .

_Darkstar's Avatar


_Darkstar
12.06.2012 , 12:48 PM | #28
Well my Inq still has the plans for the weapon, so I don't care how many they blow up in books. If I ever need one I will make another. They aren't exactly deathstar size so I can make another.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

BacaWicket's Avatar


BacaWicket
10.01.2013 , 10:24 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
I'm currently in the process of making my way through the audiobook version of "Annihilation". However, from very early on in the book, I was sort of getting nervous because of some comments the book has made. Perhaps my fears will be eased once I've finished the book, but I highly doubt it.

Multiple times during its course, the book mentions that the Ascendent Spear is the last of the Imperial superweapon capital ships that were developed under the Sun Razer project of Darth Mekhis. Among other things, ships developed by the Sun Razer included the Gauntlet (hyperspace target elimination capital ship); destroyed by the Trooper in Act 2) and the Silencer (rapid-recharge "fleet killer" capital ship; under the command of the Inquisitor in Act 3). While the Gauntlet was obviously destroyed in the game, I am concerned regarding the Silencer. It obviously survived its maiden battle and since it was part of the Inquisitor storyline, I highly doubt it would be destroyed during the course of the game and the Inquisitor not be informed of it. Not to mention that the book goes as far as saying "only the Ascendent Spear could destroy a Republic fleet that easily", which the Silencer could do as well, in rapid succession.

So, my point I guess is, what's happened here? Was the Silencer destroyed off-screen? Was it forgotten about? Or was the fact that it still existed (it was originally unfinished and then made operational by the Inqusititor) kept a secret from most of the Imperial military?
2 other superweapons were developed:
the undying: a larger version of a harrower dreadnaught and has an unknown capability most likely a "fleet killer" weapon
the emperor's shadow: was mentioned in my SWTOR encyclopedia on pg. 169 when it said:
Quote:
Malgus formed key alliances with like-minded members of the Imperial military who share his belief that change is needed. They quietly developed superweapon projects like "The Emperor's Shadow" stealth vessel, knowing such devices might one day be useful to seize control of their own government

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
10.07.2013 , 02:52 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Crimson_Paladin View Post
It seems like that in Star Wars, whenever there's a superweapon, it gets destroyed fairly quickly upon being completed/reactivated.
Except the silencer/doombringer, which the writers have simply forgotten about. I remember writing about this same issue long long ago.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur