Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

LegendaryBlade's Avatar


LegendaryBlade
11.29.2012 , 02:47 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
it just amazes me that no one in the Jedi order could see that Anakin was very clearly on the path to the dark side.
It's because Lucas has no social awareness. The romances were bad because Lucas doesn't know how to write a believable romance. The character's perceptions and personalities were hard to swallow because they were stale and unrealistic. You'd think, from watching the movies, that Lucas has never socialized with another human being.

All three of the movies are awful from a writing standpoint. They have impressive cinematics and over the top choreography, which is enough to draw some people in, but they are all written poorly.

Episode 1 has no main character and it's plot divulges in to too many directions. The characters and often their actions are hard to believe and it's fairly clear that Liam Neeson didn't give a damn about his role, and I don't blame him. The Pod Racing scene is the only great and memorable scene in the movie, even spawning it's own videogames, but is all cinematics. By popular opinion, Maul is also an up for the movie but Lucas doesn't build him at all and kills him off quickly.

Episode 2 the characterization gets even worse. It becomes increasingly clear that Lucas has no idea how to write believable human beings and nobody on the writing staff has the balls to stand up to him like they did in the original trilogy, meaning most of his ideas go unfiltered. The romance feels forced because it is, it would of taken another writer to make it feel real.

Episode 3 Anakin's characterization finally reaches the point of 100% unbelievability. Nobody around him notices his personal anguish despite how incredibly obvious it is. You don't need the force to see that he's a troubled young man and if literally anybody had sat down and talked to him in a friendly manner he would not of become Vader. Finally the fight at the end is ridiculous, I wish I had that .gif of them twirling the lightsabers around each other for several seconds for no reason. It's most people's 'favorite' because, even though the writing is no better, there's more visual emphasis then there is writing and story and the cinematics are well done for the time.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Tomb-Stone's Avatar


Tomb-Stone
11.29.2012 , 04:46 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
You really think TPM was that bad? I enjoyed it. The fight between Obi-wan and Darth Maul is sick.
This is a funny read you might enjoy... read the fake conversion between Lucas, a Lucas Marketing Manager and Dave Filoni (Clone Wars). Here. All kidding aside, I thought it was one of the funniest fake dialogues I have read in a while.
Tomb-Stone
Common Sense Is Like Deodorant. The People Who Need It The Most Never Use It...

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
11.29.2012 , 05:06 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
It's because Lucas has no social awareness. The romances were bad because Lucas doesn't know how to write a believable romance. The character's perceptions and personalities were hard to swallow because they were stale and unrealistic. You'd think, from watching the movies, that Lucas has never socialized with another human being.

All three of the movies are awful from a writing standpoint. They have impressive cinematics and over the top choreography, which is enough to draw some people in, but they are all written poorly.

Episode 1 has no main character and it's plot divulges in to too many directions. The characters and often their actions are hard to believe and it's fairly clear that Liam Neeson didn't give a damn about his role, and I don't blame him. The Pod Racing scene is the only great and memorable scene in the movie, even spawning it's own videogames, but is all cinematics. By popular opinion, Maul is also an up for the movie but Lucas doesn't build him at all and kills him off quickly.

Episode 2 the characterization gets even worse. It becomes increasingly clear that Lucas has no idea how to write believable human beings and nobody on the writing staff has the balls to stand up to him like they did in the original trilogy, meaning most of his ideas go unfiltered. The romance feels forced because it is, it would of taken another writer to make it feel real.

Episode 3 Anakin's characterization finally reaches the point of 100% unbelievability. Nobody around him notices his personal anguish despite how incredibly obvious it is. You don't need the force to see that he's a troubled young man and if literally anybody had sat down and talked to him in a friendly manner he would not of become Vader. Finally the fight at the end is ridiculous, I wish I had that .gif of them twirling the lightsabers around each other for several seconds for no reason. It's most people's 'favorite' because, even though the writing is no better, there's more visual emphasis then there is writing and story and the cinematics are well done for the time.
Your missing "in my opinion" somewhere in there, not everyone thinks the way that you do and have problems with the characters or the movies.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

LegendaryBlade's Avatar


LegendaryBlade
11.30.2012 , 04:21 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Your missing "in my opinion" somewhere in there, not everyone thinks the way that you do and have problems with the characters or the movies.
Haven't I seen you make almost this exact post before?

Believe it or not, there are typically accepted writing standards that people appreciate in literature and fiction. Movies like the Prequels and the Twilight series are well below that standard, they lack certain common values in writing that makes them seem more like fanfiction.

But if you disagree with absolutely everything i've said then there still stands one objective fact. The characters do not act in a realistic manner and the romance between Anakin and Padme is not really believable, and in the end is very forced. That's what I mean when I say that it is stale, and was the original purpose of my post. Which you didn't even respond to, because you'd rather make witty statements that don't actually respond to any portion of a post.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

Pirana's Avatar


Pirana
11.30.2012 , 05:36 AM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
It's because Lucas has no social awareness. The romances were bad because Lucas doesn't know how to write a believable romance. The character's perceptions and personalities were hard to swallow because they were stale and unrealistic. You'd think, from watching the movies, that Lucas has never socialized with another human being.

All three of the movies are awful from a writing standpoint. They have impressive cinematics and over the top choreography, which is enough to draw some people in, but they are all written poorly.

Episode 1 has no main character and it's plot divulges in to too many directions. The characters and often their actions are hard to believe and it's fairly clear that Liam Neeson didn't give a damn about his role, and I don't blame him. The Pod Racing scene is the only great and memorable scene in the movie, even spawning it's own videogames, but is all cinematics. By popular opinion, Maul is also an up for the movie but Lucas doesn't build him at all and kills him off quickly.

Episode 2 the characterization gets even worse. It becomes increasingly clear that Lucas has no idea how to write believable human beings and nobody on the writing staff has the balls to stand up to him like they did in the original trilogy, meaning most of his ideas go unfiltered. The romance feels forced because it is, it would of taken another writer to make it feel real.

Episode 3 Anakin's characterization finally reaches the point of 100% unbelievability. Nobody around him notices his personal anguish despite how incredibly obvious it is. You don't need the force to see that he's a troubled young man and if literally anybody had sat down and talked to him in a friendly manner he would not of become Vader. Finally the fight at the end is ridiculous, I wish I had that .gif of them twirling the lightsabers around each other for several seconds for no reason. It's most people's 'favorite' because, even though the writing is no better, there's more visual emphasis then there is writing and story and the cinematics are well done for the time.
This is pretty much spot on.

The one underlying theme throughout those three movies, was that it was just not believable. The originals at least had some authenticity to them and didn't feel forced. I did enjoy the prequels, but undeniably, there was something missing. Disney and an Oscar winning writer taking over the helm is undoubtedly going to improve this franchise.

I would close with "in my opinion", but considering I typed this, odds are it is.
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

bionamaster's Avatar


bionamaster
12.01.2012 , 09:24 AM | #46
I have decided not to continue debating with you, Sstanks. You clearly are not understanding my posts in the way they were written. Additionally, this whole mini-debate has further derailed this thread.

I'm off to the Story and Lore forums, See ya around.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
12.01.2012 , 04:49 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post

But if you disagree with absolutely everything i've said then there still stands one objective fact. The characters do not act in a realistic manner and the romance between Anakin and Padme is not really believable, and in the end is very forced. .
I think you need a lesson on fact and opinion, you act like everyone agree's with what you say. And then with the statement above its like you think you know the facts better than us.


Why in the world would you want realism in Star Wars? I figured futuristic men fighting with saber swords and mystical energies was plain enough to say SW is fantasy.

And how would you know how people would be like in that type of world?


I mean, just 200 years ago romances and relationships went down allot differently than they do today. Hell, 400 years ago most of them were forced.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

LegendaryBlade's Avatar


LegendaryBlade
12.01.2012 , 05:23 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
I think you need a lesson on fact and opinion, you act like everyone agree's with what you say. And then with the statement above its like you think you know the facts better than us.


Why in the world would you want realism in Star Wars? I figured futuristic men fighting with saber swords and mystical energies was plain enough to say SW is fantasy.

And how would you know how people would be like in that type of world?


I mean, just 200 years ago romances and relationships went down allot differently than they do today. Hell, 400 years ago most of them were forced.
No, I know what the difference is between fact and opinion. If you like characters that act in an unrealistic manner, that is your opinion. It is my opinion that I do not. What is a fact is that they don't act like human being generally do.

Why would I want realism in characterization? Well, I don't know, how about you watch the original trilogy? The character's are believable, and more importantly we have an identifiable main character to follow, and also voice the questions the audience wants to voice. By the time we're a fourth of the way in to the movie, we meet Han; a roguish but enjoyable character that the audience may identify with. He's also a believable person.

After that, as the trilogy progresses, we are introduced to a romance that feels a lot more real; it's developed better and produced in a way that brings intrigue from the audience.

In the prequels it often feels like Anakin does more to push Padme away than to attract her. Perhaps we just don't see any of the actual romantic portion of their lives, but then that's immediately an issue. We have the one scene in the field where Anakin basically says "My love for you is like a lovely river of lovingly flowing love" and then she swoons. It really feels like a case of "They fall in love because it says they do in the script".

Even most people who like the prequels can generally admit that the romance told in it was -bad-.

The thing is, Lucas has good ideas but they need a filter. We see that in the original trilogy. People were willing to say "no that sounds dumb" to Lucas when he suggests things like the final fight between Luke and Vader take place in "the inside of a volcano that looks like hell" and "Vader picks the Emperor up and walks in to the lava with him over his head". His ideas are unfiltered in the prequels, and therefore they all get in. Which is why the first movie especially often feels like it's going in four or five different directions.

Lucas says it himself. There's a video of his own reaction after the first staff screening and he says "You know, I think the problem is we tried to do too many things". He tries to remedy that in the second film. Tries.
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger