Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Bluntron
11.28.2012 , 01:38 PM | #381
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyskater View Post
I completely agree with this, and the few other post that mention this, the problem with our survivability is not that we take longer to go down than other class but rather that we can't do dmg while going down.
After playing a vanguard it's apparent that the main thing that makes their dps so high is their ability to get high impact bolt off every 6 seconds basically (lock out time of talent) while commandos/mercs cant do that cause we have a 2 second cast for a 45% chance and a 12 sec cd for a 60% chance to get the proc.

If they really dont want to make power shot an insta cast (it does do about twice the dmg of ion pulse) then a making full auto a 100%(or leave it at 60, not really sure for this one) and power shot a 90% chance to proc HiB could also work as a solution. it conserves the idea of ranged, 2 sec cast (1.5 with talent) is the same as getting two ion pulse off, which pretty much guarantees a proc, (45*2=90). this idea is mainly because it is not impossible to get one power shot off, but when it doesnt proc you basically wasted your time.

ps i know i've mixed in merc and trooper ability names

Or I was thinking if Instant cast is too OP, than combustible gas cylinder allows you to cast power shot while moving.

cashogy
11.28.2012 , 02:40 PM | #382
Quote: Originally Posted by Bluntron View Post
Or I was thinking if Instant cast is too OP, than combustible gas cylinder allows you to cast power shot while moving.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=559457

the "Run and Gun" idea in that thread would give Merc the ability to get damage out when under pressure. Merc doesnt need instant cast power shot/tracer missile all the time, just when we are getting attacked by melee

Bluntron
11.28.2012 , 03:25 PM | #383
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=559457

the "Run and Gun" idea in that thread would give Merc the ability to get damage out when under pressure. Merc doesnt need instant cast power shot/tracer missile all the time, just when we are getting attacked by melee
I believe I signed that thread.

LeonHawkeye
11.30.2012 , 08:43 PM | #384
I wouldn't expect another response until they're ready to reveal their proposed changes. There's nothing more they can tell us, they have already admitted the class is not where it should be, although a lackluster response and acknowledgement of the problem, it was a response. Hope for the best, we have a long road ahead of us fellow Commandos/Mercenaries.

klham
11.30.2012 , 10:24 PM | #385
Quote: Originally Posted by LeonHawkeye View Post
I wouldn't expect another response until they're ready to reveal their proposed changes. There's nothing more they can tell us, they have already admitted the class is not where it should be, although a lackluster response and acknowledgement of the problem, it was a response. Hope for the best, we have a long road ahead of us fellow Commandos/Mercenaries.
^ Agreed.

Macroeconomics
11.30.2012 , 11:45 PM | #386
The problems with this subclass in PvP are very deep rooted. Escapability? Yes. Difficulty outputting dps when pressured? Yes. But even in the ideal scenario when you can free cast, this class is a FAIL. If you compare damage output from a Merc dps to those of the top dps subclasses in a statis Voidstar match where no one is dying and both sides can focus on dps output for a full 15 minutes, the Merc dps is at about 50% below that of Sage and Guardian Focus. And about 25% below that Sent Focus. It (Merc dps) is not competitive even in the conditions that best favor it. Take all that talk about subclasses being within 5% of each other and throw it out the window. That 5% garbage is based on meta averages. It has no factual basis in how top players play their toons using best practices. No Merc dps will ever be outputting 1.5 million in damage with the current status of the game, but the top dps classes can do that.

But BW is extremely reluctant to directly buff Merc damage output because Merc dps is already extremely good in PvE. Buffs to accuracy and buffs to removing movement restrictions are logical ways to buff Merc dps in PvP without overpowering them for PvE. The other logical step? Return DFA to its prior, wider damage radius. That step however would be a very direct admission from BW that they fundamentally misunderstood how PvP balance works in this game. What are the odds of that?

MarshalltheFlaw
12.01.2012 , 03:16 PM | #387
People keep saying that Merc/Commando DPS is not good. I agree that they need some love, easily shutdown and interruptible, but their DPS is fine. I don't pvp alot with my mando anymore but they have great damage.
Comparing them to a Sorc/Sage, they have extreme burst. What they lack is an escape mechanic, like force speed.I like alot of the suggestions made in this thread and hopefully Allison & Co. really want to help.
I am not trolling, I just did not like people saying the damage is bad. I think the damage is fine other than the heavy reliance on Grav round/tracer missile. Even with that, the damage is strong and much more meaningful than, for example, a multi-dotting sorc/sage. Again, not looking for an argument, just a discussion.
Postmortem

Doc'pain, Brohemoth, Painkillerz

klham
12.01.2012 , 04:37 PM | #388
Quote: Originally Posted by MarshalltheFlaw View Post
People keep saying that Merc/Commando DPS is not good. I agree that they need some love, easily shutdown and interruptible, but their DPS is fine. I don't pvp alot with my mando anymore but they have great damage.
Comparing them to a Sorc/Sage, they have extreme burst. What they lack is an escape mechanic, like force speed.I like alot of the suggestions made in this thread and hopefully Allison & Co. really want to help.
I am not trolling, I just did not like people saying the damage is bad. I think the damage is fine other than the heavy reliance on Grav round/tracer missile. Even with that, the damage is strong and much more meaningful than, for example, a multi-dotting sorc/sage. Again, not looking for an argument, just a discussion.
Overall damage is fine if allowed to freecast for an extended period of time, but I disagree regarding burst. Gunnery has steady damage if uninterrupted, but any "burst" is back-loaded on the rotation and highly dependent on optimal conditions (which is a big disadvantage in PvP where TTK is very short and you're unlikely to get a full rotation off due to unavoidable target-switching and constant interrupts/stuns/mezs/KBs etc. It certainly doesn't have enough burst to burn down a decent healer the way real burst-dps spec'd ACs do (perhaps that would be different if the AC had more tools to pre-empt self-heals, like the stealth-stun-burst ACs do). Commando burst is a little better on Assault, but I disagree with ppl who say that respec'ing to Assault spec makes Commandos equally desirable in PvP as other dps-spec'd ACs, despite an Assault -spec'd Commando's improved mobility over the other dps tree.

MarshalltheFlaw
12.01.2012 , 05:11 PM | #389
I'm looking at this through the sage goggles. I would kill for Full Auto+Demo round burst. If you think killing a healer is hard on a Commando, try it on an operative or sage. It is truly laughable. However, all burst is relative when compared to a smash/sweep knight/warrior. The burst for the trooper/bh is all tied to grav/tracer so in that sense it sucks
Postmortem

Doc'pain, Brohemoth, Painkillerz

DkSharktooth
12.01.2012 , 11:36 PM | #390
Merc / Commando healers need alot of love to. Please update your original post to include them.