Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Force of Wills: The Ties that Bind

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Force of Wills: The Ties that Bind

MilaniGrey
11.28.2012 , 09:30 AM | #311
I have a feeling Part 3 is gonna be even more of a tear jerker.
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, ┴illeacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

Serris_Kell
11.29.2012 , 10:47 AM | #312
Humph. So Mitka's short sighted idealism (if you can call treason that) won out over her loyalty (if she even understands the term) in the end after all. And Aric is such a lovesick moron that he went right along with her. Too bad. Hopefully Dorne has the stones to actually step up to her uniform and get the ball rolling on the required firing squad, but I doubt it.

"We're doing good for the Republic, we swear!" Uh-huh. Tell it to the judge, traitor scum.
"Fear is a lie. Passion is a lie. Fears gives temporary powers, and passion is easily manipulated. Real strength in the Force comes when one is no longer afraid."
―Kel'eth Ur

Magdalane
11.29.2012 , 11:29 AM | #313
Wow, that review is a little harsh. Unless you've been in the position to have to choose between orders and right, I don't think you can judge. In the Trooper story arc, there are several times where doing the right thing earns you a dressing down from the General.

And in regards to Dorne, I'm sure she was glad that a firing squad wasn't gathered for her. And what did she do? Oh yeah, desertion and treason.

Write on, Earthmama, loving this story!
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

iamthehoyden
11.29.2012 , 02:07 PM | #314
Time will tell whether Mitka and Aric made the right choice or not, but they're facing a situation where they are getting orders from obviously corrupt people who are more concerned with public appearance and covering things up than with what is actually good for the Republic.

They don't join the Empire, because they're even worse, so they takes the best choice available, one that has a chance of protecting the common people and giving them freedom. It's not a clear cut decision in terms of right and wrong, but then it's pretty rare that you actually encounter pure black and white choices in general. She and Aric are making the best choice they can with the information they have.

Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out!

Edit: Just one more note, one thing I've loved about this story is that it's not about the black and white decisions. It's about the times when things aren't clear cut, when the choices are hard. When they require thinking and hoping that you're doing the right thing (and sometimes those things not turning out well). It's been a hard story to read at times, but always engaging.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Serris_Kell
11.29.2012 , 04:01 PM | #315
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Time will tell whether Mitka and Aric made the right choice or not, but they're facing a situation where they are getting orders from obviously corrupt people who are more concerned with public appearance and covering things up than with what is actually good for the Republic.

They don't join the Empire, because they're even worse, so they takes the best choice available, one that has a chance of protecting the common people and giving them freedom. It's not a clear cut decision in terms of right and wrong, but then it's pretty rare that you actually encounter pure black and white choices in general. She and Aric are making the best choice they can with the information they have.
They're in the Army. Unless they've got generals stars hidden somewhere, they don't get to make those decisions anymore. And even Garza (horrible example that she is) is on a short leash, as she answers to the Senate. They may be a corrupt pack of lazy cowards, but they're still the ones in charge. The authority that everyone from private to general swears to follow, and the laws they swear to uphold. If one has a problem with the orders coming down they can a) find legitimate workarounds b) leave the military if their conscience is on the same level of a pampered civilian and c) shut up and get on the bounce. In short, if one can't make themselves carry out the mission, or carry out legal orders, than one shouldn't be in the military to begin with, because idealism gets left at the boot camp entrance.

And finally, who the hell gave Mitka (or any other Havor trooper PC) the pull to make that call? In lieu of orders soldiers are to either hold and keep doing what they're doing, pass it up the command chain, or kill something. Not suddenly decide they have a better idea.

As I said with my last critical review, Earthmama is a good author, and I'll keep reading. Just be aware that by now I'm hoping for what most others would consider a horrible ending.
"Fear is a lie. Passion is a lie. Fears gives temporary powers, and passion is easily manipulated. Real strength in the Force comes when one is no longer afraid."
―Kel'eth Ur

02.19.2014 , 12:28 AM | #316
do you think you could post some pictures of the characters so we can see what they look like?
*edit, never mind saw the pics you posted a while ago.