Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

FastCloakBanshee
11.29.2012 , 08:40 AM | #101
Just want to add my voice to the people who have suggested binding proton torps to a different key from missles. It's extremely frustrating when I can't fire a missle because the game is trying to lock on a torp.

Jacen_Starsolo
11.29.2012 , 09:06 AM | #102
So their big super secret space mission update was just another fail of trying to make us play Starfox.

Char_Ell
11.29.2012 , 09:07 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by MicE_sk View Post
However the thing that I find most confusing is that they are called "Heroic" missions. Since there is no mention of these being 2-4 person missions, wouldn't it be better to call them Hard Mode missions? (Or something in that fashion?)
I thought the same thing. The use of the term "heroic" in SWTOR indicates a quest that is designed for multiple players. If the new space missions are single player only then it doesn't seem to be consistent with the rest of the game. Other than that, I'm looking forward to trying out the new space missions when 1.6 rolls.

TUXs
11.29.2012 , 09:09 AM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Suzina View Post
I had trouble making it through the first paragraph in the blog, so lets talk about the first sentance. Described is the appeal of open 3D space as seen in the in 2004's Jump to Lightspeed. Yet this game has no open 3D space. "The vastness of space" does not describe space that is a series of tubes. "Mostly unexplored" does not describe a minigame where every inch of the space you can go to is visited every time you play it. " yet teeming with life and possibilities." does not describe a mission in which every single enemy appears at the same moment every time according to the script.

Look at the paragraph below and think of space in TOR as it is now:
I thought the exact same thing...what a totally weird way to open. It's almost like they're mocking their own game?!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

FixerFortyKay
11.29.2012 , 09:23 AM | #105
Here's a much better idea. Make a heroic ship mission a cross between FTL the game ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SnIhpCm5w ) and the Millennium Falcon scenes from Star Wars.

Make the piloting slow and steady so manning the guns isn't insanely hard but you have to dodge the odd asteroid or take the hit. Get a few people as crew, running about the ship, having to switch between using the guns, co-piloting for countermeasures and power management, putting out fires, repairing equipment or fighting off boarders with not enough crew to handle everything at once.

Now THAT would be both Star Wars and awesome.
Agent Jellico -Stabbing with Style.
Just because you murder the enemies of the Empire from the shadows doesn't mean you can't take a little pride in your work.
Concealment Operative PVP videos.

Ansalem
11.29.2012 , 09:36 AM | #106
Having tested these out on the PTR already I can assure you there is nothing heroic about these new missions. Rinse and repeat same as before only you take more dmg and need a couple more shots to kill things. The only reason I can see people doing these after they complete them once is so they can stock up on comms.
I am a fan of space combat and flight sims etc, but I cannot stand being locked into these set rail shooters. I stopped doing the space missions a very long time ago and these new heroics aren't going to get me interested in doing space again. I'll do my 1 run on each and then never again. Thank God Star Citizen alpha test starts at the end of next month because I can't wait to finally have a space combat game worth playing.

Kayako
11.29.2012 , 09:47 AM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by saremun View Post
fail Bioware just Fail, REALLY!!

this space combat is just FAIL in SWTOR, at the release we thought that we are going to fly a ship but nope, the normal ship is just click +choose planet then get out, Space combat is more like 70-90 games, while we are in 21 century, freaking lame.
this is how a real space combat should look like
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/
How many time can you say fail in the course of two sentences? Evidently, this many. Anyway, they made no promises on space combat... free flight or otherwise. I have an idea, learn how to code and get a job with them, then you an really show 'em how it's done. Riiiiight...

Vitellius
11.29.2012 , 10:02 AM | #108
I like the space mission. They're fun. I already got my sniper an imperial pilot helmet and chest. Takes a long time to grind out the commendations, so i'm happy we're getting new content. The reason a lot of people pick on space is because we all know what it COULD be. However, it was always advertised to be exactly what it is....a mini game rail shooter.
Just a few things that i'm reading that are somewhat unfair:

"This is the SSSP!!?!? Thanks Biofail!" - Really? No, it isn't and we all know it.

"You're wasting time/resources developing this!" - A free roaming space sim would have a dedicated team. This mini game can be easily expanded without taking resources from other aspects of the game. Relax.

"I hate this poor excuse for Star Fox, therefore, delete it from TOR!! grrrr rAgE!!" - Nobody is forcing anyone to play it. If its mere existence offends you, then you've got other problems I think.

I will admit that this PR "Heroic" garbage is a bit over the top. You got a fun mini game, Bioware, but don't try to spin it like you've created the best thing since JTL. It just makes for flame bait.
"Smoke me a kipper...i'll be back for breakfast." -Ace Rimmer

metalgearyoda
11.29.2012 , 10:43 AM | #109
Galaga gives you more control over your ship than this.

This is pre atari level.
Ganking leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to pvp.
The Swtor forum attracts trolls because the forums are more fun than raiding dragon soul.
Complaining is the new meta game.

Goretzu
11.29.2012 , 10:56 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by Kayako View Post
How many time can you say fail in the course of two sentences? Evidently, this many. Anyway, they made no promises on space combat... free flight or otherwise. I have an idea, learn how to code and get a job with them, then you an really show 'em how it's done. Riiiiight...

They've repeatedly tantalised with the SSSP (not for while now admittedly, though).

These new mission are fine as things go, but they just seem to be another level of "difficulty" of them, not "Heroic" which in the context of SWTOR suggests muliplayer/COOP play.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1