Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Michael Arndt (Hunger Games, Toy Story 3) will be one of the EP7 screenwriters

MasterMe
11.28.2012 , 12:01 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Tomb-Stone View Post
Most of us have seen the Phantom Menace... it can't get much worse than that. I think the SW franchise can only get better from here on out. (I hope)
You really think TPM was that bad? I enjoyed it. The fight between Obi-wan and Darth Maul is sick.

Tomb-Stone
11.28.2012 , 12:03 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
You really think TPM was that bad? I enjoyed it. The fight between Obi-wan and Darth Maul is sick.
Other than the lightsaber duels with Maul... I think the movie was quite bad.
Tomb-Stone
Common Sense Is Like Deodorant. The People Who Need It The Most Never Use It...

sstanks
11.28.2012 , 12:14 PM | #33
it was the best part of it but the rest of the movie was pretty awful.

BrandonSM
11.28.2012 , 02:02 PM | #34
My only issue with Ep. 1 was it was way too kids based considering the bigger percentage of SW Fans are adults and young adults at that time.

Ep. 2 was way too romantic and Ep. 3 was my favorite of the three because it had good balance.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

bionamaster
11.28.2012 , 02:43 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
Obviously Woody wasn't a farmer who joined the alliance after his parents were killed thats' just stupid however they share the same traits.

Buzz is the cocky flashy hero like Han is. Ham is like R2D2 because he is the one in control all the time. Think Toy Story 2 where he jumps into driver seat. Rex is like C-3po due to his bumbling nature and affeminate voice and behavior.

Again as for the plots you are taking it too literal. Look at the themes and story structure.

Toy Story 1 is a rescue mission where they must enter the evil lair to rescue a friend from the clutches of an enemy. The Hero must overcome fear to correct a mistake he did and save his friend from an evil he can't possible defeat.

Toy Story 2, Similar rescue theme except the overall theme is death (remember not being played with is considered death to toys). Woody sees a way to avoid death by going to Japan. In Star Wars terms that would be the equivlent of a Jedi who is afraid of death turns to the Dark Side. But his friends come to save him.... hey that would actually make a pretty good Star Wars movie.

Toy Story 3. We already talked about how this is very similar to Star Wars. Again all you have to do is change the names of the places and what the characters are to see how it IS a star wars movies. The plot and the themes are similar in ALL adventure films.

You and others keep bring up the fact that they are toys so it can't be like Star Wars or that it's just a kids film ( even though Star Wars IS a kids film) Have you ever heard of "Maus"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maus

It is considered one of the greatest comics of all times. It retells the Hollocaust except that the Jews are mice and the Nazis are cats. Just because the characters are animals or toys has absolutely nothing to do with how good a story is or how amazing the writing is.

It would be very short sited to dissmiss something as for kids just because it uses toys, or animals as it's main characters. Toy Story 3 is a fine example of great writing and if Michael Arndt can write a script half as good as Toy Story 3 we could have a movie better then Empire Strikes Back.
I wasn't analyzing the plot in that sense. I also wasn't writing the TS series off as "for kids" or "poorly written" (I did say I enjoyed it). However, they are very different. Using your post:
TS1, a very good movie, considered a classic in it's genre. It still left a lasting standard in family movies today, similar to how Star Wars affected the Sci-Fi genre. The difference in villains is rather large: It's a "that mean kid who keeps on breaking my toys" character viewed from a Toy's perspective. The Emperor is a robed sorceror in charge of legions of idiotically loyal soldiers, viewed from the perspective of a band of rebels who wish to overthrow him. Additonally, we have Vader (portrayed at the time as nothing more then superpowered stormtrooper with a mysterious past) and Tarkin (a sadistic mass-murderer willing to eliminate a planet that looks startlingly like Earth). TS2-TS3 brings us Al (A greedy toy collector) and Lotso (Crazed pink stuffed animal and the point of much debate on this thread).

Storywise, TS1 is a journey about a character correcting a wrong. Could it fit into a SW film? Perhaps, but the wrongs we see in SW (Wiping out a planet, cutting down a defenseless old friend, slaughtering innocent children, etc) are much harder to correct then knocking a sturdy, plastic being out a a window, by accident, no less (on a psychological level, apologizing for acting jealous, or inadvertantly hurting someone's feelings). Woody felt remorse for hurting Buzz. Palpatine murdered a disarmed Windu and never looked back.

TS2 is based more on fear. Not, as you put it, however, fear of death. Woody is afraid of being forgotten, akin to a child's fear of not being loved by his/her parents. In a toy museum, children would see him every day. They would not, however, love him the way Andy loved him. Much different from the terror the Empire and the Sith inflicted on the civilians of, say, the planet Maul and Savage landed on in TCW. Maul switched on his blade in front of a group of children (reference to Vader in ep. 3, most likely), and it was implied that they were dead judging by the burning village in the next episode.

TS3, in plot, seemed dual in purpose: Bring back the now-teenaged children who watched he first two episodes, as well as bringing forth a new audience. It accomplished this well. The prison-break scene was a treat for everyone, and there were some emotional scenes (Incinerator, Andy giving his toys to their next owner) to add suspense for the young ones. This is rather different from SW, as there is no match to the "trouble in paradise" theme of the Preschool, and nothing similar to the "passing on the mantle" theme of the end scene. These are the major themes of the film.

In conclusion, TS seems to be written in more of an emotional context then SW, which focuses on classic "good vs. evil". I never said that Arndt would not be a good thing to bring to SW, in fact I believe a more emotion-focused SW movie will be a very good thing. I was merely saying that TS and SW are not one in the same, and that it's a matter of preference as to which you enjoy the most.
Reminder: Mechanized posting is for non-trolling business only. Enjoy your stay.
Parrius, Level 55 Jedi Sentinel Parian, Level 20 Commando
Tremarr Legacy, CE Subbed since Launch, Shadowlands Server
For the Republic!

Jorelle
11.29.2012 , 04:13 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by sstanks View Post
that's not even debatable. Toy Story 3 managed to create more emotion in it's scenes then even Empire. The scene where Han is lowered into the carbonite chamber is great but the incinerator scene is far more dramatic and gripping.

Like I said Lots o is far more menacing villain then Emperor palapentine could ever hope to be.
come to think about it, i actually also have to agree with you on this.

Pirana
11.29.2012 , 05:34 AM | #37
Considering Arndt won an Oscar and was nominated for another, the franchise is undoubtedly moving in the right direction.
Beta - April 16, 2014 (Retired)
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

sstanks
11.29.2012 , 08:15 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by bionamaster View Post
I wasn't analyzing the plot in that sense. I also wasn't writing the TS series off as "for kids" or "poorly written" (I did say I enjoyed it). However, they are very different. Using your post:
TS1, a very good movie, considered a classic in it's genre. It still left a lasting standard in family movies today, similar to how Star Wars affected the Sci-Fi genre. The difference in villains is rather large: It's a "that mean kid who keeps on breaking my toys" character viewed from a Toy's perspective. The Emperor is a robed sorceror in charge of legions of idiotically loyal soldiers, viewed from the perspective of a band of rebels who wish to overthrow him. Additonally, we have Vader (portrayed at the time as nothing more then superpowered stormtrooper with a mysterious past) and Tarkin (a sadistic mass-murderer willing to eliminate a planet that looks startlingly like Earth). TS2-TS3 brings us Al (A greedy toy collector) and Lotso (Crazed pink stuffed animal and the point of much debate on this thread).

Storywise, TS1 is a journey about a character correcting a wrong. Could it fit into a SW film? Perhaps, but the wrongs we see in SW (Wiping out a planet, cutting down a defenseless old friend, slaughtering innocent children, etc) are much harder to correct then knocking a sturdy, plastic being out a a window, by accident, no less (on a psychological level, apologizing for acting jealous, or inadvertantly hurting someone's feelings). Woody felt remorse for hurting Buzz. Palpatine murdered a disarmed Windu and never looked back.

TS2 is based more on fear. Not, as you put it, however, fear of death. Woody is afraid of being forgotten, akin to a child's fear of not being loved by his/her parents. In a toy museum, children would see him every day. They would not, however, love him the way Andy loved him. Much different from the terror the Empire and the Sith inflicted on the civilians of, say, the planet Maul and Savage landed on in TCW. Maul switched on his blade in front of a group of children (reference to Vader in ep. 3, most likely), and it was implied that they were dead judging by the burning village in the next episode.

TS3, in plot, seemed dual in purpose: Bring back the now-teenaged children who watched he first two episodes, as well as bringing forth a new audience. It accomplished this well. The prison-break scene was a treat for everyone, and there were some emotional scenes (Incinerator, Andy giving his toys to their next owner) to add suspense for the young ones. This is rather different from SW, as there is no match to the "trouble in paradise" theme of the Preschool, and nothing similar to the "passing on the mantle" theme of the end scene. These are the major themes of the film.

In conclusion, TS seems to be written in more of an emotional context then SW, which focuses on classic "good vs. evil". I never said that Arndt would not be a good thing to bring to SW, in fact I believe a more emotion-focused SW movie will be a very good thing. I was merely saying that TS and SW are not one in the same, and that it's a matter of preference as to which you enjoy the most.
ok wow right off the bat. Star Wars is not sci fi, it's fantasy, it's a classic fantasy story reimagined.

An old knight takes a young hero with him on an adventure filled with magic to save a princess from the black knight.

Don't get much more fantasy then that.

Yes they through technology in there but it's still a fantasy movie. Just like Firefly isn't a Sci fi show it's a western.

TS1 you are still not getting it. We are talking about themes. Ok look at this have you ever heard of the film the Seven Samurai? It's the story about how 7 Samurai are hired to protect a small town from bandits. This movie was remade as the Magnficent 7 which is a western movie that uses the same plot and themes. But the setting, tools and other things are changed to make it fit into a western. It doesn't matter if the Empeor can shoot lightning out of his fingers or controls 100 or 1 million people. That isn't who he is. As a character he is just a politician who manipulated people to gain power and then uses fear to hold on to that power. Just like Lots-o did.

TS2 i'm sorry if you didn't pick up on the theme, it is fear of death. Its extremely clear that's what happens to the toys when they are forgot that IS death to them. Remember he even has the death nightmare where Andy throws him away because he is broken.

TS3..... wow I think you need to rewatch TS3 that's all I have to say about that. You are clearly mixing up themes with scenes.

The Toy Story movies ARE Star Wars movies. Just like Pirates of the Carribean is also a Star Wars movies.

Change the names and the places but keep the beats and themes the same and there you go it's a Star Wars movie.

MasterMe
11.29.2012 , 08:30 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
My only issue with Ep. 1 was it was way too kids based considering the bigger percentage of SW Fans are adults and young adults at that time.

Ep. 2 was way too romantic and Ep. 3 was my favorite of the three because it had good balance.
No, episode 2 wasn't too romantic, it was crappy romance. There's nothing wrong with romance, but that romance story was awful.

3 was boring if you ask me. Anakin was sitting at Coruscant whinning most of the time.

sstanks
11.29.2012 , 08:36 AM | #40
No, episode 2 wasn't too romantic, it was crappy romance. There's nothing wrong with romance, but that romance story was awful.

3 was boring if you ask me. Anakin was sitting at Coruscant whinning most of the time.
it just amazes me that no one in the Jedi order could see that Anakin was very clearly on the path to the dark side.