Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Powertech: Is there hope for AP in PvP??

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Powertech: Is there hope for AP in PvP??
 

Vykran's Avatar


Vykran
11.28.2012 , 06:20 PM | #1
Personally I love the playstyle and the utility that AP brings to the table, BUT here's the problem we don't have as much burst as Pyrotechs do. Now I've been thinking about this and I was trying to figure out a way to make AP as good as or at least competitive with Pyro's in terms of a 1v1 situation. This is the build I've currently come up with:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301ZrsMrobfoZfhrbzh.2
There's only two real major concerns I've been thought about;
1) Heat management. Seeing as we would have to be using CGC in order to get the railshot procs I'm not sure where that would put us in terms of heat especially with using other abilities in the AP tree such as Retractable Blade and FT. Especially since we weren't able to pick up the reduced CD on Vent Heat, at least not with this build.
2) Whether or not the burst damage would be on par or close to par with a Pyro since the spec lacks Immolate and Thermal Detonator as well as Firebug (Increased crit damage to CGC/Railshot/IM/TD 15/30%), Rain of Fire (Rapid Shots/Rail shot/Rocket Punch/Unload/Flame Sweep extra damage 3/6/9% to burning targets), and Burnout (Increased tech crit chance 1/2/3% and periodic elemental damage 10/20/30% to targets under 30% health)

So what are your guys' thoughts and concerns with this build? I would like to be able to try this as soon as possible but unfortunately my PT isn't 50 and I refuse to play my VG since I can't stand Prophecy of the Five anymore.

RendValor's Avatar


RendValor
11.28.2012 , 07:25 PM | #2
You are sacrificing way too much for just Retractable Blade, not to mention you won't even get Steely Resolve (+9% Aim)
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Vykran's Avatar


Vykran
11.28.2012 , 07:32 PM | #3
Well honestly it really wasn't even to get Retractable Blade there honestly isn't much else there to grab that doesn't require High Energy Cell. It was really to get to PFT.

thamightyboro's Avatar


thamightyboro
11.29.2012 , 02:09 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Vykran View Post
Well honestly it really wasn't even to get Retractable Blade there honestly isn't much else there to grab that doesn't require High Energy Cell. It was really to get to PFT.
23 points for a 20% boost

I don't see why everyone is so obsessed with PPA most pvp fights are over within 6 seconds and its still relying on a proc, why the obsession with 1v1 killing everything call incs and pop shield stims adrenal medpack should be long enough for someone to get to you.

To achieve that comes at a sacrafice of HO, why 5 points to armor penetration of rail shot unless I'm mistaken this soft caps at 65-70% (seem to remember something from the Iron Fist spec in respect of this)

Might want to look into that as my info may not be totally correct I havent played in 6 month until recently but there's this nag in my head saying that's correct.

Why not just go the whole AP tree if your scycling Immolate and rail shot you have a guaranteed big hitter every 7.5 seconds which seems a better option than praying on procs for a rail shot that can actually be defended in PVP or outright deflected over a enhanced immolate that I believe is undefendable.
"If someone had came up to me in the 80s and said we will
be playing games with 1000s of people at the same time.
My response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

dijskykiller's Avatar


dijskykiller
11.29.2012 , 11:29 AM | #5
I have posted a hybrid close to this 6 mos ago but i picked up HO PFT and PPA and called it extreme prototype. The spec is the only viable dps build that i know since ironfist died. You got downgraded burst and dots, with utility and dps of AP from PFT. A lot better in 1v1 situations compared to AP but u need to have that HO to maximize the time in melee range to do sustained dps. You also do'nt need auto crit, just get the set bonus and spend the point somewhere. Basically HO is something you dont want to miss coz its the most useful skill of the AP tree. trust me its one of the best assets of PT.
Jar'la Cabur
POWERTECH
POT5 - Sef's Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

Sippix's Avatar


Sippix
11.30.2012 , 01:21 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by thamightyboro View Post
I don't see why everyone is so obsessed with PPA most pvp fights are over within 6 seconds and its still relying on a proc, why the obsession with 1v1 killing everything call incs and pop shield stims adrenal medpack should be long enough for someone to get to you.
Most fights last 20-40 seconds in 1v1 scenarios.

Quote: Originally Posted by thamightyboro View Post
To achieve that comes at a sacrafice of HO, why 5 points to armor penetration of rail shot unless I'm mistaken this soft caps at 65-70% (seem to remember something from the Iron Fist spec in respect of this)
There is no "soft cap" to Armor Penetration. You get the full 90% if you spec into all the ArmPen synergies. Iron Fist is also dead. Even the creator of the Iron Fist spec admitted it is dead. There has been changes to certain Skills that made Iron Fist viable.

Quote: Originally Posted by thamightyboro View Post
Might want to look into that as my info may not be totally correct I havent played in 6 month until recently but there's this nag in my head saying that's correct.
Your info is completely incorrect.

Quote: Originally Posted by thamightyboro View Post
Why not just go the whole AP tree if your scycling Immolate and rail shot you have a guaranteed big hitter every 7.5 seconds which seems a better option than praying on procs for a rail shot that can actually be defended in PVP or outright deflected over a enhanced immolate that I believe is undefendable.
Climbing to Immo and spec'ing into RS synergies for AP is a priority rotation, not just timing Immo and RS apart from one another. Rather, you Immo to make RP free so you can proc a guaranteed crit on RS. Not only that, the RS from AP does not hit as hard (due to lacking ArmPen), and the proc chance is even less than PPA.

I'm honestly not sure what you're basing your opinion off of, because nothing you said is in any way evidential or fact.
Malkiv Mayhem
Powertech Vanguard
Slinger Shadow

Youtube | Enjin | Twitch

Sippix's Avatar


Sippix
11.30.2012 , 01:31 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Vykran View Post
Personally I love the playstyle and the utility that AP brings to the table, BUT here's the problem we don't have as much burst as Pyrotechs do. Now I've been thinking about this and I was trying to figure out a way to make AP as good as or at least competitive with Pyro's in terms of a 1v1 situation. This is the build I've currently come up with:
Personally, if I were to to a CGC AP spec, I'd go with the following spec.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...bobcoZfhrbzh.2

But spec'ing into AP and not picking up Hydraulic Overrides is such a shame. That's one of the things that makes AP shine.

Also, running PFT is pretty useless unless you're picking up Steely Resolve and Intimidation. I've explained this to other people - you either go with RS for AP or you go with PFT for AP. You can't do both because it's gimping both too greatly.
Malkiv Mayhem
Powertech Vanguard
Slinger Shadow

Youtube | Enjin | Twitch