Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Questions regarding Artifice and schematics.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Questions regarding Artifice and schematics.

duxrule
11.28.2012 , 10:56 AM | #1
So, I've been doing some research and I'm trying to make the most out of my artifice skill.. The whole idea of being able to break down equipment into higher grade schematics and what not. I have a few questions though...

1. Can I break down any lightsaber and obtain rarer grades of that lightsaber? If not, can I only break down craftable lightsabers (custom-built)?

2. Does it require a specific skill to reverse-engineer new schematics?

finelinebob
11.28.2012 , 05:49 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by duxrule View Post
1. Can I break down any lightsaber and obtain rarer grades of that lightsaber? If not, can I only break down craftable lightsabers (custom-built)?

2. Does it require a specific skill to reverse-engineer new schematics?
1a) No. Not for any you loot or purchase on the GTN or with comms. Not even the ones you can craft.

1b) No. You should be able to RE looted sabers just like crafted ones and get the same general result -- crafting materials equivalent in grade to the combat level of the item. One difference: crafted sabers that you RE will also give you an Augmentation Slot Component that an armormech, armstech or synthweaver can use to create an Augmentation Kit.

2) If you can learn a new schematic from reverse-engineering an item, you should be able to activate the RE "tool", mouse over the item and read in it's tooltip what percent change you have at learning a new schematic from that particular item. If you cannot learn anything new, it will say "No Research Available" instead.

So, if you craft a custom lightsaber and try to RE it, you should see those 3 words on it's tooltip. You can still RE it and get back a few crafting mats and an aug slot component. If, instead, you take a looted or purchased saber, you'll get the same message but no aug slot component, just level-appropriate crafting mats.

As a general rule, if you can put item mods into something you can craft, you can RE it to get back fewer mats than it takes to craft it but you will not learn anything new. Custom items have set armor or damage ratings and there is nothing in the game right now that allows you to increase the rating of any custom item.

One last thing: as an artificer, anything you craft in your "Wieldable" you can also RE and get an aug slot component .. 1 per RE. If you check out the Reverse Engineering Guide you will find that all of the Wieldable schematics you have that start as green or blue text follow what is called the Prefix RE path, but the orange-text custom items like lightsabers cannot be used to learn new schematics. Finally, your Color Crystals, Enhancements, and Lightsaber Hilts all follow what that guide calls the Linear RE path. It's a great guide, if you want to know close to everything there is to know about reverse engineering (the major exception being REing end-game gear).
Jedi Guardian JonBonJovi'wan
"Wanted: Dead or Alive"
Defenders of Monkeys - Prophecy of the Five
DatacronHunter's Video Guides to Datacrons | Datacron Spreadsheet