Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Heroic Space Missions
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kaloonzu
11.28.2012 , 05:16 PM | #11
As a gamer who grew up on Flight Combat Sims, like FreeSpace (which remains my favorite game), I always had a soft spot for the space missions in this game, even if they are rail shooters. I'm more than a little excited for the new space content, just hoping it brings in new environments instead of the same three re-hashes. To those who had to "read the boards" to "figure out what was going on" because "it was displayed so badly", I suggest getting a new screen and graphics card. There may not have been much story, but its pretty clear that the objective was always "Shoot what's shooting at you".
PT AP Hunter
Audacious Prospect
Sith Empire Hardcore Raiders

Gilack
11.28.2012 , 05:17 PM | #12
This will get me playing regularly again, but in my mind and heart rail shooter space missions will never hold a candle to free flight. Space flight is one of the few things your predecessor MMO got right, and while your post is somewhat lacking in specifics, I'm afraid this is just going to be another round of missions that are only hard until you have the gear upgrades, and then they become a waiting game until the timer runs out.

Gilack
11.28.2012 , 05:20 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by kaloonzu View Post
As a gamer who grew up on Flight Combat Sims, like FreeSpace (which remains my favorite game), I always had a soft spot for the space missions in this game, even if they are rail shooters. I'm more than a little excited for the new space content, just hoping it brings in new environments instead of the same three re-hashes. To those who had to "read the boards" to "figure out what was going on" because "it was displayed so badly", I suggest getting a new screen and graphics card. There may not have been much story, but its pretty clear that the objective was always "Shoot what's shooting at you".
I too have been trying to figure out what that poster meant. Unless you're flying with your mission objectives hidden, I can't think of a single space mission that would be that puzzling even on your first run ever.

Uber_the_Goober
11.28.2012 , 05:21 PM | #14
Still with the rails. What on earth is the point of these things? Something else to do to grind comms when companions break or your class is nerfed to death for pvp.

Projawa
11.28.2012 , 05:24 PM | #15
The space missions were fun the first few times through. Space PVP or coop space missions would be a huge plus. I'd put dev resources into activities that encourage social grouping whether it's space pvp, swoop racing or card games. A solo only mode vs the computer would also be great for those times we can't/don't want to group with others.

RageFury
11.28.2012 , 05:29 PM | #16
AWESOME! I always enjoyed supplementing leveling with space missions. It's by far the most entertaining mini-game any MMO has ever had. (Though, I suppose it's no longer a mini-game once this goes live.) This is great news for me, personally. Can we expect to see multiplayer space missions at some point? It'd be awesome if I could queue for 4-man hard mode space missions. It would take coordinating with your groupmates to a whole new level.
Something Dark Side

Rioarri
11.28.2012 , 05:33 PM | #17
As an old Star Wars player I remember some of the older games. There was X-wing and Tie-wing fighter (s). But I mostly remember Star Wars Empire Divided, and SW Jump to light speed. Now these games let you become a pilot, train in combat, make money and build your own ships. the closer we get to that the happier I will be.
Rio

saremun
11.28.2012 , 05:41 PM | #18
fail Bioware just Fail, REALLY!!

this space combat is just FAIL in SWTOR, at the release we thought that we are going to fly a ship but nope, the normal ship is just click +choose planet then get out, Space combat is more like 70-90 games, while we are in 21 century, freaking lame.
this is how a real space combat should look like
http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

JediCahlwyn
11.28.2012 , 05:47 PM | #19
Can you PLEASE change how Proton Torps work? Often I can't destroy targets because I can't fire missiles (even though I have 150 of them) because it wants to lock a torp. I either don't have time to establish a lock and/or I'm out of torps.

Can you make it a toggle? SOMETHING?

Thanks for the news though, I love the space battles and can't wait. My ONLY complaints are:

Torpedo/Missile on the same button (see above)
and
Reused missions. I hate that. I wish you'd have created unique ones. Its bad enough to have to repeat many on a daily basis for comms, but to do some twice is killer.
--Master Endric Cahlwyn--
<The Womp Rats> of The Shadowlands
Jedi Guardian 55 For The Republic!

banling
11.28.2012 , 05:48 PM | #20
(im french sorry for my english)

I agree to have the new space missions heroic. I suggest you add new starship. Some players have fortunes exceeding 100 million credit. it would be a good idea to add the possibility to buy new starship and sell the ancient in this patch.