Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Any Orange/Purple gear is viable pretty much all game, right?

KetMalice
12.19.2011 , 10:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
By waste of credits, I mean if I do that now, and I eventually going to find something better in the future.

I mean, is one orange chestplate better than another orange chestplate? Or are they really ONLY dependent on what Mod you put in them?
The mod is what makes the armor sadly =/

LoneMaverick
12.19.2011 , 10:17 PM | #12
they are ONLY dependent on what mods you place into them (Orange/Purple gear)

What determines their amor/level is the mod called Armoring, which Cybertechs make, and on the item tooltip explicitly states that it does so (Barrel mods for blasters do the same) I'm not a sissy force user so I dont remember which mod it is for sabers, but I believe it is the Hilt.

Omnibare
12.19.2011 , 10:18 PM | #13
There is light, medium, and heavy armor. They each have a base amount of armor. As you would expect, light is the lowest armor and heavy is the highest. Other than the base armor, mods are the sole determining stats of orange armor.

I don't know enough about purple armor to know if some is innately better than others or not. It's possible purple armor has base stats on it, otherwise, the same will hold true.

I find that it's fairly easy to keep about 5 pieces of modded armor, and then the rest will be from quest/FP rewards.

Good luck!

selios
12.19.2011 , 10:30 PM | #14
By waste of credits, I mean if I do that now, and I eventually going to find something better in the future.

I mean, is one orange chestplate better than another orange chestplate? Or are they really ONLY dependent on what Mod you put in them?
Orange items are only "better" because of what is in them. You can find good looking armor with low level mods and loot butt ugly armor with killer mods and swap the mods out. At 40 it's 1700 credits and change to remove a mod, been that price for at least 10 levels I think.

At 25 you might have a hard time replacing the armor mod/mod/enhancement slots without using planet commendations to get them. Once you get to the mid 30's you'll start getting armor mod/mod/enhancement's as quest rewards more frequently.

Another issue right now is the economy is only a week old and finding someone with a full set of orange gear could be problematic if not down right impossible.

If you do manage to find a full set of orange I would say pick it up if you have the credits.

By 40 as a trooper I've found full orange armor that isn't perfectly matched but I don't look like a clown either. Between quest rewards, random loot and planet commendations I haven't had an issue with keeping mod slots up to date.

Athrian_
12.19.2011 , 10:44 PM | #15
Are purples like oranges in that they can be upgraded continuously as I level? I found a low-level BOE purple chest last night that has mod slots and was originally going to sell it because I thought only oranges could be upgraded.

SmileyxD
12.20.2011 , 09:32 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Athrian_ View Post
Are purples like oranges in that they can be upgraded continuously as I level? I found a low-level BOE purple chest last night that has mod slots and was originally going to sell it because I thought only oranges could be upgraded.
Would like an answer to this too!

Narien
12.20.2011 , 09:36 AM | #17
You can upgrade anything with mod slots. However, purples do not have the armoring/barrel/hilt mod slot that allows you to continually improve the damage/protection of an item.

So while you can upgrade the supporting stats on a purple, you'll never be able to improve it's base damage/protection

egostalker
12.20.2011 , 09:50 AM | #18
Sorry to be a little confused here, so hoping someone can clarify. Examples I want to use for help

let's say i have an orange chest piece, armor on it is 350 with all kinds of stats from mods. I understand I can upgrade the mods but wont the armor stay 350? If that is the case, i can get endurance and aim and crit but wont i outlevel the armor number? ie..at level 24 the armor is 350 at level 40 i modded all the stuff on the piece but the armor is still 350. Wont there be better armor pieces at 40?

weapon-orange, has 100-115 damage at level 24..i know I can change the barrel and mods to gain aim, endurance, crit, power etc...but does the damage go up as i change mods or is it going to be 100-115 at level 40 which wouldn't be an upgrade even if I changed mods.

help, i seem to be confused.

i hate to admit I think i have sold orange gear because I thought it couldn't be upgraded weapon damage or base armor....=(

NightHawke
12.20.2011 , 09:54 AM | #19

It is practically free.

You do not have to spend a single credit on your weapons/armor. Just use commendations.
Dark Legion's Empire Jung Ma Server

Live by the Sword,
Die from Bravado.

abyssaldeath
12.20.2011 , 10:04 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by egostalker View Post
Sorry to be a little confused here, so hoping someone can clarify. Examples I want to use for help

let's say i have an orange chest piece, armor on it is 350 with all kinds of stats from mods. I understand I can upgrade the mods but wont the armor stay 350? If that is the case, i can get endurance and aim and crit but wont i outlevel the armor number? ie..at level 24 the armor is 350 at level 40 i modded all the stuff on the piece but the armor is still 350. Wont there be better armor pieces at 40?

weapon-orange, has 100-115 damage at level 24..i know I can change the barrel and mods to gain aim, endurance, crit, power etc...but does the damage go up as i change mods or is it going to be 100-115 at level 40 which wouldn't be an upgrade even if I changed mods.

help, i seem to be confused.

i hate to admit I think i have sold orange gear because I thought it couldn't be upgraded weapon damage or base armor....=(
Armoring mod: Adjusts the armor value plus any ability bonuses it provides

Hilts/barrels mod: Adjust damage values plus any ability bonuses it provides