Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Trooper in PvP

Kindread
11.27.2012 , 04:15 PM | #1
I was really not impressed by PvP in the game over all, I spend most of my time getting stunned; however, my Commando Trooper is leverl 36 and it seems like I am stuck standing still to use many of my channeled shots while I am getting beat on, and stunned. Am I missing something?

DariusCalera
11.27.2012 , 04:39 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Kindread View Post
I was really not impressed by PvP in the game over all, I spend most of my time getting stunned; however, my Commando Trooper is leverl 36 and it seems like I am stuck standing still to use many of my channeled shots while I am getting beat on, and stunned. Am I missing something?
Nope.

If you want to stay with your commando I would go either assault or combat medic.

Otherwise, you might want to consider rerolling a Vanguard.

TheronFett
11.28.2012 , 01:26 AM | #3
Gunnery spec + PvP = dead Commando.

Go Assault if you want to DPS.

Alister
11.28.2012 , 02:10 AM | #4
makes me want to make a gunnery commando so i can prove this wrong.
James Young

Fenrisar
11.28.2012 , 02:45 AM | #5
Gunnery commando is doable in PvP, just NEVER go alone, Stay in the back, latch on to a healer and protect him/her or a sentinel and just blast everything

If you're caught out in the open, you're dead.
If you stand still too long, you're dead.
If you try 1v1 people in wz you're an idiot, and dead.

Stealthers tend to be a problem as well, but just use stealth scan when you think theres one around and you might get lucky

i will never recommend using Gunnery in PvP since it's hard as hell to be effective, but thats why i use it, it's more fun that way ;3

Trevalion
11.28.2012 , 11:40 AM | #6
I know the OP thread was about <50 pvp, but I have been playing around with spec's and found this weird hybrid.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#800ZrIkMMr0RZcGrbzh.2

I usually pug because of time issues. I have full augmented optimized WH sets for both combat medic and eliminator sets as well as the respective guns and off hands. I alternate between combat medic and damage specs, sometimes multiple times in the same war zone depending on team needs. Thank the BW devs for finally providing free in the field respec capability (for subscribers anyway).

So I was messing around in pug wz last night and decided what the hell, Ill do a weird gunnery/assault hybrid. The linked spec above is what I settled on, running with plasma cell. And holy ****** it actually turned out to be pretty effective!

I have run full gunnery, full assault and full combat medic enough times that I have a pretty solid feel for each spec. What I was going for in this hybrid was the power of gunnery Full Auto (the bread and butter of that spec, dont believe people when they say grav round spamming). With the mobility and some of the DOT power of the assault spec. I know it looks like it shouldnt be very effective, but let me say that I had some really excellent pug warzones.

Now obviously I am giving up some of the front loaded burst from both specs, but simply by staying mobile, dropping dots and continuously using hammer shot as a filler with the normal incendiary round + HiB + FA + HiB and occasionally tapping charged bolts and using tech override + plasma grenade + Mortar Volley I was melting lol-smashers. They would jump to their target and start the CC + smash/sweep routine and I would drop fire and death from range putting enough pressure on the group of lolsmashers that their healers would have trouble prioritizing. Then simply pick the most damaged and drop the IR + HiB + FA and they would be dead.

My Full Auto hits were (white damage) hitting for upwards of 3k a tick very often (thank you gunnery!) and my fire dot and plasma grenade kept up the pressure. I was getting average hits with HiB. Meanwhile I could still drop respectable heals on myself or emergency heals for our healer.

I loved this spec because I had the mobility of assault, with the hard hitting full auto of gunnery. I put out very respectable overall damage throughout the warzone. I had what felt like to me sufficient burst because of the FA + HiB combos. I rarely had to worry about charged bolts because I got (lucky!?) proc's alot. I didnt die very much because I was running around so much that the lolsmashers picked easier targets.

Anyway, the normal hybrid spec for mando's is usually a combination of combat medic and a damage tree. I thought this one was different and fun