Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

MMORPG column on SWTOR F2P

Goretzu
11.28.2012 , 04:10 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post

1million plus in subs will not be hurting if all the F2P suddenly jumped up and left .

SWTOR hasn't had 1m subs since mid summer at the latests. They'll have 1m active accounts with F2P (probably closer to 2m in fact), but that's not the same thing at all.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

grombrinda
11.28.2012 , 04:45 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
What are you talking about ?
If you owned a Buisness you are never set on a standard of numbers, you look into ways of getting people to look further into your game hence .................Trial and F2P.

Let me let you into something you seem not to understand,.
There is right now over hundreds of MMOs out right now live and going.
Each MMO other than WoW is hurting in Subs but are able to maintain service .
But the market is just too small for the Amount of MMOs out , so most of them are going F2P model to get you to join up and invest into their game . None of these games are hoping you will come in and buy nothing.

So keep living in fantasy land , reality is not your thing. Companies like EA , Blizzard , PerfectWorld , NcSoft.........etc are all FOR PROFIT Companies . PERIOD .

EDIT: There are games like Champions Online with the same Whining and Crying as this game right now and still able to pay its dues off the smaller number of Sub payers and F2P player WHO INVEST in the game . But Has a crap load of Players who pay nothing at all who cry day in and out on how ITS ALL REALLY UNFAIR this and that......................
But how many of those "hundreds" of mmo,s titles cost over $200 mill. +..?
1 million subs??...I wish because if they had that much..we would not be in f2p now.
And before you chime in and say that I don't know the actual cost of this game, gives us a reference to where it states that this game has 1 million subs.???
Accounts =/= subs.
We didn't start the Star Wars,They were already fightin' em,since George was writing them!!

erei
11.28.2012 , 07:16 AM | #13
I find this article accurate and I was thinking the same before reading it. Some f2p stuff is fine on SWTOR, but some of it is an insult to gamers. I'm thinking about the skillbar, the removal of reward choice in quests, pay to equip stuff and the 2-3roll authorized per instance. The ability to remove the helmet for the main character should also be granted, same goes for titles, but it's not really important. Also, you should be able to buy an instance "pack", like in DDO/LOTRO. The pass system is fine, if you can definitely unlock the dungeon by paying but not subscribe.
Honestly, I though I would never see a worst f2p model than EQ2 is now, but that was before SWTOR f2p. Now, I'm not sure.
SWTOR have an extended trial offer, but it's not f2p at all.

Devlonir
11.28.2012 , 07:53 AM | #14
The first response to the article says a lot about how I feel as well. I enjoy this game a lot and want my friends to come in and join the fun.
But with how bad some F2P restrictions are, I cannot in good faith, advise people to come to this game for the good F2P experience.
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman