Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is the lag always this bad?

AsheraII
11.28.2012 , 07:28 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
Sorry, but there is definitely something wrong with this game.

I run lag free in most places. As soon as I hit Alderaan I'm dealing with input lag. Bad input lag. Too often I watch my GCD fire off without the ability I keyed going off...often more than once.

My ping is around 70ms, my trace routes are golden, I've reset my UI/lowered/raised/fiddled with my graphics settings and tired the million other things random people suggest in order to reduce or eliminate this lag and nothing ever works.

So why is Alderaan different? Why do some people see no lag and others experience worse lag than I do? My system checks for driver updates daily and runs diagnostics twice a week and I still have this issue. When you eliminate every possible client side possibility it leads one to have to believe that the problem belongs to the server.

You can rage or fan boy all you want the simple truth to the matter is that the issue exists and for some reason it doesn't affect everyone.
Alderaan is a special case I think, Lowering or disabling Anti Aliasing helped me a LOT in that place. I bet I could tweak my settings further to reduce lag there. I suspect it's because there are a LOT of (partially) transparent textures used there. All those trees and grasses and stuff for example. So I just might reduce the amount of grasses and trees in my settings sometime to try. Each surface that has a transparent texture needs some extra handling for your graphics card, especially when there's a lot of those, all overlapping eachother and moving (blowing wind effect) and stuff. It wouldn't amaze me if Alderaan could even fry some older graphics cards if ran at maximum settings.
. . . . . . ¶▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##¯¯(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==¯¯¯¯¯|####/¯¯

TonyDragonflame
11.28.2012 , 08:28 AM | #52
Before 1.4 i have lag 79-82 ms.
After 1.4 - before 1.5 I have lag 92-112 ms.
After 1.5, now I have lag 167-350 ms.

I'm afraid, I cannot play after 1.6 with 500-1000 ms lag...

Goretzu
11.29.2012 , 03:13 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
Sorry, but there is definitely something wrong with this game.

I run lag free in most places. As soon as I hit Alderaan I'm dealing with input lag. Bad input lag. Too often I watch my GCD fire off without the ability I keyed going off...often more than once.

My ping is around 70ms, my trace routes are golden, I've reset my UI/lowered/raised/fiddled with my graphics settings and tired the million other things random people suggest in order to reduce or eliminate this lag and nothing ever works.

So why is Alderaan different? Why do some people see no lag and others experience worse lag than I do? My system checks for driver updates daily and runs diagnostics twice a week and I still have this issue. When you eliminate every possible client side possibility it leads one to have to believe that the problem belongs to the server.

You can rage or fan boy all you want the simple truth to the matter is that the issue exists and for some reason it doesn't affect everyone.

The Alderaan issue might be something specific, there's a few people that have issues with trees and such there.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Tsillah
11.29.2012 , 03:25 AM | #54
I did notice the lag on Alderaan as well. Just flying on my speeder, excuse the pun, is a shocking experience.

My guess is that the servers are now fuller than ever before after the merges and this created some new issues for lag. If f2p proves to have enough success and population increases a bit, we might need one or two servers added to deal with this lag.

But I do agree the Alderaan lag seems particularly unusual.
Galactic Command shall fall. May the Empire rise!

Gratuitous display of referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/jMVTyB Use it for some goodies or don't

Devlonir
11.29.2012 , 03:29 AM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
The Alderaan issue might be something specific, there's a few people that have issues with trees and such there.
Concerning Alderaan, I heard a few weeks back that one of the issues of the planet is that some people say there is actually some kind of 'shadow' world rendered just below the surface. Not visible to the player, but the engine still needs to render all these things that are out of sight. And that this eats away at the performance while on Alderaan.

I haven't found anything to confirm this yet though..
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman

oakamp
11.29.2012 , 03:32 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by TonyDragonflame View Post
Before 1.4 i have lag 79-82 ms.
After 1.4 - before 1.5 I have lag 92-112 ms.
After 1.5, now I have lag 167-350 ms.

I'm afraid, I cannot play after 1.6 with 500-1000 ms lag...
u still can play,
after 1.2 we got 500~1k ms lag at EURO server,
still can play, so don't be afraid.
English is not my first language, still working on it.

Sixthy
11.29.2012 , 03:32 AM | #57
Dailies on The Harbinger in Section X or even Black Hole are all but impossible to complete during prime time. I get ability delays upwards of 5 seconds. And when you're in an 8 man ops group and the ENTIRE GROUP LAGS OUT AT THE SAME TIME, FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME, you're telling me that it's each of our individual machines and not server side?

It's not like it's infrequent at all - it happens multiple times throughout raids, throughout warzones, etc.

But really the big give away is attempting to do dailies in Section X - I don't care if there's 4 full instances of the place or just one with 50ish people, you feel and are hindered by the lag that exists there on The Harbinger. It's not on our end.
Rokuthy Sunrise

We can speak obsession - We can love the endless.

anstalt
11.29.2012 , 04:19 AM | #58
For those saying "if only a few people are getting lag then its definitely not server side" well, you're kidding yourselves.

I fully agree that the majority of people experiencing lag will be client side, but you can still get server side lag that doesn't effect everyone. If you understand server technology at all then its also pretty easy to understand. A game like SW:TOR will run off a massive server farm, not single servers per game server. Different planets / instances etc will be spread out across the server farm in an effort to load balance. The server side code will also be multi-threaded, meaning it can calculate multiple things at once.

What this means is that there is the potential for individual servers in the farm, and for individual threads on a single server, to lag independantly of the others. It really comes down to how Bioware handle the load balancing. For example, it *feels* like all raids are run from the same bit of the server farm, so on certain nights of the week when there are a lot of operation instances running (12-15 TFBs for example) we tend to experience a lot of server lag in the raid, but as soon as we leave the raid its fine. Everyone in our instance gets the lag, but others in other raid instances dont.

As for individual threads lagging, this is also possible and also easy to demonstrate. The client side of SW:TOR is very poorly written: it can only run on a single core. To test this, get yourself a decent CPU monitor and see what happens when you boot up TOR. For me, one of my cores runs at ~80% load whilst the other three idle at around 15%. This means if TOR gets a bit more intensive (too many people around) then TOR itself will lag whilst all other processes on my PC run perfectly fine. This is also why I laugh when people post their PC specs: the single greatest limiting factor with TOR is the clock speed of an individual core on your processor. All of you with amazing 6-core processors will likely have lower clock speeds per core than those of us running 4 or 2 core processors and thats why you get client lag.

The same can happen on the server. If the server has to do too much processing then it will prioritise certain "threads" and let the others lag. So, 90% of people might be playing perfectly fine but those last 10% get server lag due to overloading the server.

In terms of what Bioware can do about it, they can try to optimise the engine and load balancing so that the server side code uses resources more efficiently. However, this is both extremely difficult and will also only affect a small amount of people. Like I said at top, most people will be experiencing client side lag, not server side, but server side lag is definitely present on a large scale, its just not that bad most of the time. I don't think its cost efficient for Bioware to try to fix this, though ofc I'd love for them to do it.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

Glower
11.29.2012 , 04:46 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
Like I said at top, most people will be experiencing client side lag, not server side, but server side lag is definitely present on a large scale, its just not that bad most of the time. I don't think its cost efficient for Bioware to try to fix this, though ofc I'd love for them to do it.
LOL! Its realy very bad especially for PvP ( ) and for me this lags happens only after 1.4 but NOT before! So they just need to find bug in 1.4, as always....
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg; Dec 2016, livestream: "RNG is exciting"
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Devlonir
11.29.2012 , 04:50 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Glower View Post
LOL! Its realy very bad especially for PvP ( ) and for me this lags happens only after 1.4 but NOT before! So they just need to find bug in 1.4, as always....
i PVP daily and honestly have not noticed any increased lag in warzones at all.
Question: Do you play wired or wireless?

Because playing wireless, or having really bad wired with a lot of packet loss, is most noticeable in PVP where there can be large peaks of data traffic that clog up the connection and therefore create lag that is fully created by your own network.

Just sayin..
"Cows go 'Moo', Dogs go 'Woof', MMO Players go 'The PVP is unbalanced!" - Yahthzee
"I'm starting to get the feeling that BW and their MMO are not the dysfunctional ones." - Rafaman