Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How to fix Boss skipping

GalaxyStrong
11.27.2012 , 05:01 PM | #1
I was just thinking, lots of people are getting pissed because other people just want to skip bosses and get through the FP as fast as possible for various reasons. Sooo, I was thinking what if........... BW altered the loot tables on higher lvl FP bosses (exp = False emperor, Directive 7, Koan, Lost Island) so theirs a 50-60 % chance for a Molecular Stabilizer or a Matrix Cube to drop. No one would want to skip a boss if they knew their was a chance of one of those Matts dropping.

Thoughts on this???
RESPECT THE EMPIRE!!!
Or YOUR A DEAD-MAN

jumay
11.27.2012 , 05:08 PM | #2
that is one way to fix the boss skipping. at the current drop rate, i have no reason to do 70% of the bosses in FP bc the gear that i have on all of my toons is better than what will drop. the credits dropped from these bosses is not worth the time neither.

for the most part, i just do FP for the BH comms and i rarely do those anymore bc of the grind. add something to the FP worth spanking the lst boss in T5 and i will start beating on him again. as the loot table is laid out now.....SKIP

Radzkie
11.27.2012 , 05:28 PM | #3
The best "solution" to boss skipping is asking your team if they will do them. Honestly, I have never seen a PUG refuse a request. If they do say no, and you really care about the crap drops from those bosses, you can /leave the group and find another. I am sure that no one will really care if they need to wait a few minutes for another person... Most of the time it's the fresh 50s who don't want to skip.

Just to point out something: in most HM fps, the last boss drop is the only worthwhile upgrade for fresh 50s(not counting the BH coms from completing the daily). Which will hold true once 1.6 comes out, when all fresh 50s will get a free set of tionese gear. And not all bosses can be skipped anyway, so chances are you'll be getting some drops one way or another.

Kitru
11.27.2012 , 06:40 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
Thoughts on this???
It wouldn't so much "fix boss skipping" as "completely destabilize the market and screw over most of the people trying to get gear rather than mats from FPs".

Most of the people in Black Hole or better gear can, with a companion or a friend, solo the entirety of an HM FP in about the same amount of time as it takes to drag a new 50 through. The primary reason said overgeared individuals run through the GF is because black hole commendations are worth something to them. By providing a chance for a grade 8 crafting mat to drop from each boss, which then is randomly divvied out by rolling, you actually encourage said people to stop doing runs with random people and instead begin running them solo so that, if a molecular stabilizer *does* drop, they get it rather than providing an even chance to a fresh 50 random that they don't even know but are functionally being forced to carry through the content.

The screwing up of the market would be from the fact that none of the HM FPs are limited to the number of times that they can be run in a day: there is no lockout. As such, if you wanted to farm up Stabs, you could easily spend 2-3 hours punching the fastest, easiest HM FP (probably False Emperor) and get 2 per run (assuming a 50% chance of getting one to drop with 4 bosses in each having a chance to drop said stabilizer) for a total of 6 stabilizers without having to group up whatsoever and the option to run even more later if you wanted to. As such, people that are overgeared would run the HM FPs while solo and just glut the market with molecular stabilizers, pretty much the only commodity worth an appreciable amount at the moment. In the same amount of time that it takes to run TfB or EC, you could get more stabs than the entire run with 8 people would have generated.

A rather sizeable tweak to your system so that people would actually run in group finder rather than solo would be to provide a per-character box that drops off of each boss that has a chance (~16% if you want to have a roughly total 50% chance per boss that someone gets one) to provide a molecular stabilizer for each character. A different tweak would be to provide a stacking buff a la Diablo 3's Nephalem Valor that provides an increased chance for a stabilizer to drop at the end based upon the number of bosses killed before the end of the FP. Even then, because you aren't limited to the number of HM FP runs you can make per day, you would still have people running HM FPs ad infinitum just to get stabilizers (each run would take 45 minutes at most and would provide a ~50-60% net chance for one or more stabilizers), which means that it would be possible for people running content they vastly overgear to acquire .66-.8 molecular stabilizers per hour when the current rates are running through Ops limited to 1 run per week (generating 8-12 stabs across 8 people for 1-2 hours of efficiently done work with each Op), doing Space Missions daily (200 fleet comms per box which provides 2 stabs on average, you can get 100 fleet comms/day with about 90 minutes of work, for 1 stabilizer per 1.5 hours every 2 days), and cashing in Black Hole comms for gear to be REd (the most efficient would be armor or synth breaking up belts that cost 30 comms for 1 stabilizer on average, which is probably the absolutely least efficient method for acquiring stabs considering what is required to get 30 BH comms). In short, not only would be you providing a method for acquiring stabilizers that can be repeated infinitely per day when every other method is limited to either a per day or per week limitation, you'd also be providing a method that is *substantially* more time and effort efficient than the existing mechanisms.

If the developers really wanted to make players kill bosses rather than skip them, they would simply make the bosses specifically required to be killed as part of the FP's story or cut off the paths used to skip them. The only carrots substantial enough to really make people stop skipping would end up screwing with the economy and intended gear progression (imagine getting full 27 gear by just running HM FPs because you could get all the stabilizers you would ever need).

As it stands, I honestly don't think the developers really have a problem with the rampant skipping involved in so many of the HM FPs. If they did, they would have done something by now (like they did with EC's rainbow road skipping thing). Even if it wasn't intended, it doesn't really detract appreciably from the overall experience; it's just part of the current culture. As to the gear problems, in 1.6, the devs are providing every starting 50 with a full set of tionese gear. You might luck into a non-set Columi piece by killing a certain boss that can be skipped, but, if you're already packing Tionese, the cost/benefit really isn't justified since the reward doesn't really stack up in most people's mind (you'd have a 6.25-8.33% chance of actually getting a class/spec appropriate upgrade; even if the boss takes only 2-3 minutes, averaged out, it's not really efficient use of your time).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Karasuko
11.27.2012 , 10:57 PM | #5
My thoughts on it?

It's fine the way it is, worst comes to worst significantly up the amount of credits a boss drops, nothign else is needed.

Larry_Dallas
11.28.2012 , 02:49 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Radzkie View Post
The best "solution" to boss skipping is asking your team if they will do them. Honestly, I have never seen a PUG refuse a request. If they do say no, and you really care about the crap drops from those bosses, you can /leave the group and find another. I am sure that no one will really care if they need to wait a few minutes for another person... Most of the time it's the fresh 50s who don't want to skip.

Just to point out something: in most HM fps, the last boss drop is the only worthwhile upgrade for fresh 50s(not counting the BH coms from completing the daily). Which will hold true once 1.6 comes out, when all fresh 50s will get a free set of tionese gear. And not all bosses can be skipped anyway, so chances are you'll be getting some drops one way or another.
This is what I was going to say. Boss skipping is not a problem for 90% of the people running these, since all they want is the comms or, at most, the last boss drop.

However, I think if someone want to NOT skip bosses, imo, they should be able to say so and have the group kill the bosses in question. At least, I wouldn't ever say no to that.

Larry_Dallas
11.28.2012 , 02:51 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by GalaxyStrong View Post
I was just thinking, lots of people are getting pissed because other people just want to skip bosses and get through the FP as fast as possible for various reasons. Sooo, I was thinking what if........... BW altered the loot tables on higher lvl FP bosses (exp = False emperor, Directive 7, Koan, Lost Island) so theirs a 50-60 % chance for a Molecular Stabilizer or a Matrix Cube to drop. No one would want to skip a boss if they knew their was a chance of one of those Matts dropping.

Thoughts on this???
The crafters would have an absolute fit. Molecular stabilizers have become an economy in and of themselves. When biometric crystal alloys started being as common as you're asking stabilizers to be, they dropped from being worth 80k per to basically nothing in under a week.

Helig
11.28.2012 , 03:00 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
It wouldn't so much "fix boss skipping" as "completely destabilize the market and screw over most of the people trying to get gear rather than mats from FPs".
You call it "destabilize the market", I call it "level the trading/crafting field".
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

turjake
11.28.2012 , 03:39 AM | #9
How to fix boss skipping? Easy. Two things. First, if you aggro something in the instance, only way to drop the aggro is either dieing or killing it. Second that works with bosses would be a door that opens when the boss is killed. Thats how they do it elsewhere.

Ephesia
11.28.2012 , 03:41 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
You call it "destabilize the market", I call it "level the trading/crafting field".
Good luck getting anyone 61+ gear level if they implement something like that. I'd just 2 man farm entire HM flashpoints. Not to mention the current cost of stabilizers would be dumbed down to the level of Biometric Crystal Alloys. The population willing to do Group Finder HM's would drop seriously.
Ephesia, Level 55 Jedi Guardian
Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU)
Member of Catalyst