Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is it time to perhaps rethink the trinity system?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is it time to perhaps rethink the trinity system?

HelinCarnate
11.27.2012 , 11:40 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by ColonelKer-Nal View Post
You would have loved CoH then. The Defender would have been your dream.
Oh how I miss my Rad/Sonic.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.
http://www.swtor.com/r/mB5FPn obligatory referral link.

ConradLionhart
11.27.2012 , 11:47 PM | #52
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
There was an interesting article on Massively by Eliot Lefebvre.

The Soapbox: The trinity isn't so bad

It raises a few interesting points about how the trinity system seems to get a bad rap in modern MMOs. I tend to think that the system works (I play a Sorc healer btw as my main), but it could use a bit more flexibility.

In this game it seems to be that a dual spec would go a long way toward that flexibility. Sure, you can respec for free if you are a sub, take the time to reset your bars and the like, but I think it would be far better to provide a way to save a certain spec to offer more flexibility with roles, especially in flashpoints and operations.

Just my two cents. Any thoughts on the Trinity system, it's ups and downs and what if anything can be done to improve it's implementation here?
As a tank, I think a new system should be created, purely because of the tank/healer shortage. Got 1 healer and 2 dps, but no tank? No flash point is possible. It is too rigid and you must have all roles to do a flashpoint or operation.

A new system needs to be created that is still challenging, but allows more groups to be created. Less time queuing for a flashpoint, and more time doing flashpoints.

I thought that a soft trinity of GW2 would be nice, but, I've read mixed feelings about it.

Estriga
11.27.2012 , 11:57 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Korusus View Post
I used to think the trinity was old-fashioned. Then I played GW2. Now I love the trinity.
Agreed. People will complain about the constraints of the trinity until they find that the alternative very easily gives away to the path of least resistance.

Even if you were to have no trinity in place, people would still pigeonhole classes in roles based on utility or heals available. It's just human nature. At least with the trinity in place you have roles that more likely than not actually fit their respective classes.

Hardwear
11.28.2012 , 12:00 AM | #54
I used to think the trinity was old-fashioned. Then I played GW2. Now I love the trinity.
This quote should have ended the discussion.
Squadron: 1020 367

DevonDs
11.28.2012 , 12:09 AM | #55
I agree... For me gw2 reminded me that I like the trinity.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

ConradLionhart
11.28.2012 , 12:10 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by Hardwear View Post
This quote should have ended the discussion.
An explanation would be nice because not all of us know why the lack of trinity in GW2 is a bad idea.

RepentantDread
11.28.2012 , 12:12 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
An explanation would be nice because not all of us know why the lack of trinity in GW2 is a bad idea.
Have you played GW2 any amount? If so, then you should be able to see why.

ConradLionhart
11.28.2012 , 12:18 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by RepentantDread View Post
Have you played GW2 any amount? If so, then you should be able to see why.
Yes that's the thing, I have never played GW2 before, and I don't know why lack of trinity is bad.

Jandi
11.28.2012 , 12:21 AM | #59
GW2 tried it and it's god awfully boring and repetitive. Go play that garbage if you want such a thing.

Jandi
11.28.2012 , 12:23 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by DevonDs View Post
I agree... For me gw2 reminded me that I like the trinity.
Everyone who was raging about GW2 not having the trinity and flaming those of us that tried to explain why it's a good thing to have roles should apologize. Right now. WE TOLD YOU!