Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Classes change sides?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Classes change sides?

Xargyn
11.26.2012 , 07:56 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by RendValor View Post
Even though these characters are not the traditional Blaster/Scattergun-Stealthy-Scrappers Scoundrels, they are described in universe as being Scoundrels
You obviously missed the point I made, and that's because I have typed it out so much on these forums over the years I didn't really want to do it again. I wish I could have provided the link to the Developing the Bounty Hunter blog, but it's no longer in the list of developer blogs on the site. So now I'll explain in greater detail...

Each player of a class, for the purposes of Star Wars lore, is playing the exact same character as every other class. No matter how many warriors there are, they all are the same warrior who becomes Baras's apprentice. No matter how many knights there are, they all become Orgus's apprentice.

Are there smugglers working for the Empire? Yes. But the character the players are playing is the very best smuggler in the galaxy, which happens to be aligned with the Republic. The very best trooper in the galaxy is aligned with the Republic. The very best bounty hunter and the very best agent in the galaxy are both allied with the Empire.

Sure, the Developers could have made a story for a Republic aligned Bounty Hunter, and thought about doing so. Would a Republic Bounty Hunter be cool? Sure, but in the films both Jango and Bobba Fett fought against the Jedi. And in order to implement a Republic Bounty Hunter, they wouldn't have had the room to make the Republic Trooper.
CE VIP Remember when this was a big deal?

Xargyn
11.26.2012 , 08:02 PM | #12
Defecting to the republic, switching sides, doesn't mean changing professions. He's still a Sith Warrior who works for the republic, even if neither party would openly admit it
Actually I don't agree that Scourge is working for the Republic. I think he's working for himself, for his own survival, and he just happens to be aligned with one particular Jedi to accomplish his goals. But, assuming that he is working for the Republic, he is not the very best Sith Warrior in the galaxy and is not even considered a hero of the Empire. The player Warrior would destroy Scourge in a fight.

You can argue this all day, you won't get anywhere any more than you would if you were trying to argue that water isn't wet. The fact of the matter is, you are not the person who developed the game. Neither am I. I am telling you exactly what the reasoning behind the developers' decisions were, based on the developer blogs I bothered to read. They may possibly put in Republic Bounty Hunters and Imperial Troopers at some point. But it won't be a defection story line, because that runs contrary to the idea that a player could level a Republic character from 1 to 50 and then level an Imperial character from 1 to 50 and never once run into a duplicated quest.

Now sure, you can argue that all quests boil down to "Deliver this to there" or "kill this many of those" but you'll be doing it alone.

RendValor
11.26.2012 , 08:56 PM | #13
And you can "argue" all you want, but that won't change the fact that players would like to switch sides on their characters, and many of the ideas and reasonings players come up with are very valid and nicely counter the developers' own reasoning. Wether or not the developers will ever imlpement such a feature? who knows, maybe they will maybe they won't. But that won't stop players from asking for it, and neither will some flimsy claim of "OMG I RED IT ON TEH DEVS BLOG LOLOL"

Just my .02 credits
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Xargyn
11.26.2012 , 11:18 PM | #14
...and neither will some flimsy claim of "OMG I RED IT ON TEH DEVS BLOG LOLOL"

Just my .02 credits
Well you can insinuate that I'm a liar all you want to. But there's absolutely no reason for me to do so. I don't get paid for posting here, nor do I win magical +1 Internetz. If you doubt me, as you indicate you do, see if you can find Daniel Erickson's "Designing the Bounty Hunter" blog from sometime in 2009 I think.

Or just keep saying "ZOMG I KIN LIST NPCZ TROLLOLOLOLOL" and see how many +1 Internetz you get from that.

RendValor
11.27.2012 , 11:40 AM | #15
I'm not saying that I doubt you, I was more along the lines of insinuating that devs may change their minds somewhere in the future. You know, as it has happened numerous times in various MMOs (and considering that the guys that were in charge back then are not the same guys who are in charge now)
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five