(Kinda) Newbie jugg needs some help

guczy

Hello everyone, i think this is my first forum entry, although i got the game for last christmas and only played for a month. Back then i did not really care about minmaxing my char (who now is a lvl 31 Jugg), i went tanky, which turned out to be a bad idea, as for one leveling with a tank is not so much fun, also im not very good at tanking either (mostly because my computer is kinda crappy, so lags). So when i resubbed this month i wanted to respec, luckily my points were refunded at my return and i went vengeance (all veng, 3 points in immortal). Now to my problems:

I am on Alderaan and basically getting my *** handed to me, right now im trying to do a mission where you have to collect some poison (i think) and a 3X mob with a silver droid kills me. Now i realize that my gear is still tanky (all of it is +end), so my first Q would be if i should swap that out for +str gear? If yes, what should i get at lvl 31? I do not have a lot of money as sending my crew for artificing, treasure hunting and archeology took away tons of money, also i was buying lot of useless crap. Is there maybe something i could farm for gear (or blueprints for artificing)?

I'm using the healer dude as companion ATM (his name escapes me, its the imperial guy, who would have intercourse with the Empire if that was possible with an interplanetary entity), should i use someone else? Also would rage be better for lvling than vengeance? If yes i would really appeciate a build for lvl 31 (also for veng BTW).

Now i know that is a lot of questions, i'm sure that i'm forgetting some stuff aswell but any help would be much appreciated.

Goint tanky is not a bad choice per se, you're somewhat more resilient and with Malavai Quinn as your healer you can outlast a lot of enemies. The only drawback is that you kill them slower than another damage dealer role.

This said, if you prefer to do damage, by all means switch to vengeance or rage (both should be viable for leveling).

Regarding your companion, Malavai Quinn is the "go to" companion for all warriors, as a healer is easier to play with (personally I leveled as a tank with Vette because I loved her and her comments on everything my warrior did, but gameplay wise it made for interesting fights "kill them fast before I die").

However, he won't be healing you 100% of the time if you don't disable his offensive skills and stun, so you may want to uncheck these to make sure he only heals.

For your gear, as a damage dealer you want to change them to strength as your primary stat, and pick up critical, surge and power as your secondary stats.

The best way to do this would be to go do heroics (either on alderaan or tatooine. Since you're 31, you may be able to do the H2 of tatooine solo) and run flashpoints to pick up quality pieces of equipment.

Regarding credits, you can try doing space missions (if you like them). The heroics are also a good source of money (if you don't die...). Unless you're knowledgeable with crafting, it is true that sending your companions on missions will hurt your finance so you may want to put that on hold while you re-gear yourself.

Gameplay wise, when you engage combat don't forget that as a juggernaut you don't have any cc, but you can stun ennemis with your intimidating shout for a few seconds, so they won't hit you during that time.

Also, try to kill the weakest ennemies first, keeping the big ones for last. They all do about the same amount of damage, so the fastest you thin their numbers, the less damage you'll take. If you run with Malavai as your healer, make sure also to smash and hit all the enemies before focusing on your target. By doing this, you're making sure that they will all hit you instead of shooting at your healer, who will be busy healing himself instead of concentrating on you (This is true for tanking with real players too!)

Good luck!

If you have any other question don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Oggthebase

Thank you for the detailed answer! I definetly cant do the Tatooine H2-s solo (well i could not as a tank so im failry sure i wont be able with this halfdps / half tank), but I try to find someone to grind it with. Is there maybe a FP that would help me? Also RE Space missions: is that really a good source for money? I dont love them but they dont take long so i could do em.

Edit: okay, maybe me getting wasted in seconds has nothing to do with my gear or skills or lag, but with gear not working at all due to todays patch :-) Still the info you gave me was mighty useful

Edited by guczy

Space missions are very good for getting money if you keep the ship upgraded.

Also, try pvp, see where you get. You will probably die alot but gear doesn't lose durability in warzones so there is really no downside.

Space missions it is...need to do something while they fix the issue with gear :-)

What server are you on. I would be happy to run with you to help you knock out some of the heroics.

I'm on Jedi Covenant. My Imperial main is a bounty hunter named Tovarius. Hit me up if we are on the same server. I am a 1/2 competent armor crafter (Literally 1/2 competent), but i can likely make you a couple of decent orange pieces that might help you out.

What server are you on. I would be happy to run with you to help you knock out some of the heroics.

I'm on Jedi Covenant. My Imperial main is a bounty hunter named Tovarius. Hit me up if we are on the same server. I am a 1/2 competent armor crafter (Literally 1/2 competent), but i can likely make you a couple of decent orange pieces that might help you out.

That is really nice, thank you, but im on Tomb of Freedon Nadd

It has always been my theory that if you plan to solo the quest lines to L50 you can't be a "pure" tank. The reason is if you are a truly pure tank you need a dps with you (you wont last forever) and a healer, and you can only have one comp at a time, so... I have a Jugg I took through and I call him a tank, but he does some good dps so he is kind of mixed. This allows me to go out with almost any comp. I actually never use the healer.

Now, as I get more into advanced post-L50, there is much more group content, so I might have to re-plan and organize to a pure tank which is what is needed in groups since others will heal/dps. You will be getting new gear anyways so you will take off you "up to 50" PvE stuff.

So, during leveling up, (as stated), every strength point counts, then crit, surge and power. I do carry a shield so I try to get shield enhancements when I can. All heavy armor. I personally love oranges, so I am all orange shells.

Play, you are it, so jump in. Your comp should be ranged dps or healer. I rather take ranged dps. Or, I have that sith girl (dark side) well outfitted and take her, between us we put down the groups so fast the healer isn't needed. I used to play with vette, but then a married her so I rather she stay cleaning the ship :-) lol j/k

This was my first toon, I have learned a lot since. Yet, I was able to get to L50 with 98% solo play. And I don't consider myself a good player.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies, meanwhile i was able to get a new comp, and now im completely lag free, which helps a lot. Also i got all the datacrons, matrix shards, also i wasted 80k of money on mods / equipment, now i have around 610 STR and 630 END (at lvl 33), dunno if that is good enough, i certanly feel stronger now, although i still can't solo Mandalorian Raiders which kinda makes me sad as i'm 5 lvl-s over it, and my BH can solo Black Talon (is that the name of the first FP?) at lvl 13.

I'm still using vengeance, although thinking about switching to rage, as i have been reading the class forum for juggs a lot and to me it seems that rage is regarded better. Until now i have not realized that as a jugg i could use 2 lightsabers instead of a shield, now what i would like to know if this would make any sense? As before i'm leveling mostly solo, sometimes doing H4-s and very rarely FP-s. Honestly i'm not feeling that the shield really gives me that much of a bonus, but i could be wrong.

Edited by guczy

On the FPs : they don't progress linear on difficulty. I found that at some point you can go through them but you can't outlast the boss (es).. By then you have to be 7 to 10 levels above. At L50 I run Boarding Party regularly (great source of credits). Don't compare them to BT, BT is a piece of cake designed to introduce players to FPs.

I run my Jug with a LS and a Shield (remember I play PvE). Since damage isn't your main goal, outlast the enemy is, the shield might prove more useful when on a team with healers and DPSers. Keep one and the other on the stash, you can always switch see what works better. BTW, orange level shields are dropping everywhere and you can make a much better shield with upgradeable parts. Also, many enhancements for orange pieces have shield rating on them which again can make your shield that much better.

At L33 the 600+ is pretty good. Don't waste too much money yet, the better and more expensive items are yet to come. Example : crystals and hilts are ubber expensive. I can make those with one of my toons so feel free to mail me level and skill (str I guess) and I can make you either. ;-) Mail ingame to SithRyoko. I don't charge but if missing some materials I'll let you know.

Note that I find leveling up from the low 30s to 40 a bit of a hump, seems to go so slow. But once you enter the 40s it will go much much faster. So keep at it.

congratulations!

First of all, as written above, Black Talon is Group 2 Flashpoint while Mandalorians is Group 4 Flashpoint, like most of flashpoints beyond Hammer station. So it's really not comparable.

Second, as a juggernaut I'm surprised that you can use dual wielding sabers, as only maraudeurs should be using two lightsabers technique.