Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light side vs. Darkside Disscussion?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Light side vs. Darkside Disscussion?

SithCrash
12.13.2011 , 01:08 PM | #1
I've noticed a stunning lack of documentation and discussion about light side vs. dark side and how they effect game play, especially at later levels. I found out during the beta that your total alignment is the average of any light and dark side points you earn (so you need to pick one side and stick to it), but I haven't really seen any information about how that effects you later on in the game. I'm curious to see how important your light/dark side rank is, how often you see gear that requires light or dark side levels, and how it effects social and end game content.

thanks,
Crash

(p.s. for those who were wondering about this... because I made the same mistake in beta... you can earn light and dark side points as you level, but your total alignment is the average of the two. If you have 1100 dark side points and 700 light side points, your total alignment will be 400 dark side. Your total alignment determines your light/dark side level, not their individual totals. There is gear that requires a certain light or dark side level, so if you go all wishy-washy and split your alignment between light and dark side, you'll never get high enough level in your alignment to use that gear. Also worth noting, every single piece of light/dark side gear I saw from the vendors had equivalent versions of the opposite alignment, so there should be no advantage to light side vs dark side. Pick one and stick to it. I hope this helps...)

Cheyanna
12.13.2011 , 01:16 PM | #2
Here are all the things I can think of that are tied to LS/DS level:
  • Gear
  • NPC Mail Rewards (you may or may not get a reward from an NPC based on a LS/DS choice)
  • Affection with companions
  • Certain story quests will turn out differently based on LS/DS decision (towards the end of the arc)

Nova Centuras
PvP | US East | Guild Site | Google+
Squadron 11-11-11 EGA Wave 1

omechron
12.13.2011 , 01:20 PM | #3
Edit: disregard that, sorry, didn't read carefully enough

SithCrash
12.13.2011 , 01:25 PM | #4
It just looks different, on every single piece I looked at, the stats for the light/dark side pieces were (stat-wise) exactly the same. It's just cosmetic. Of course, how you mod that gear after you get it is your own business.