Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Free-to-Play chart is terrible and is bad advertisment for SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Free-to-Play chart is terrible and is bad advertisment for SWTOR

ChazDoit's Avatar


ChazDoit
11.26.2012 , 09:08 AM | #1
Now that the game has gone F2P some people decided to review their new model by checking out the F2P chart at www.swtor.com/free/features and were really disappointed by all the restrictions. Some of the reviews have been pretty harsh on the game when they see all the stuff you have to pay for "What? They are selling parts of the GUI? This game sucks!" (To everyone that says that selling quickbars is going way too far, I agree with that and I'm not here to argue that point)

What I want to point out is that there are several positive aspects of this new model that are not beign advertised by Bioware and is not clearly evident in their F2P chart, which is going to end up hurting them since the first impression people get of their model is that it's pretty bad, which i really think it's not the case.

First off, any former subscriber is automatically promoted to Prefered Status, something that the F2P fails to mention and is pretty significant since Prefered status has significantly less restrictions than F2P players, returning players get to keep their Legacy Unlocks, Inventory Slots, Bank slots and any Artifact Equiment that was previously bound, I had to go digging through the Dev tracker to get that information

Quote:
Blaine: First off – if you change from being a subscriber to a Free-to-Play player, you will always go to Preferred status and will never become a Free Account, so you’ll have some features unlocked that you otherwise would not. Additionally, you will absolutely retain the Legacy unlocks that you earned/purchased as a subscriber. In almost all cases, if you have been a subscriber, you will find that things you purchased for in-game credits will be retained when you go down to Preferred. Including things like Cargo Hold access and Inventory Slots.
This information might be common knowledge for those of us that come to the forum often and have been checking on the Devs Q&A and interviews, but someone that has been away from the game and is interested in coming back is going to dig through the dev tracker to find out everything about F2P they will simply check out the chart and be immediately turned off.

Another thing that is not mentioned in the F2P model is that there are several ways to get around the restrictions without having to spend real money yourself, similar to they that you don't have to spend cash to unlock new champions in League of Legends, but not as straight forward, because you actually have to buy the Cartel Items from other players.

Quote:
Nathan Emmott: Allowing players to trade items they buy from the Market, to give gifts, and to sell them on the Galactic Trade Network is core to our plans for the Cartel Market and an experience we only want to improve!
When they mentioned that Cartel Items were going to be tradable I imagined that they only refered to the cosmetic items, when In fact everyone from the cartel market is tradable, The quickbars, the authorization to access section X, the authorization to use artifact or event gear, and not to mention all the cosmetic items, pets, emotes, etc. This is good for everyone but specially for returning players because if you happen to have some credits saved up you can use them to buy Cartel Items, and Bioware keeps getting the money because someone had to buy that Item directly from the Cartel Market previously.

TLRD: So in short, I think the F2P Chart is pretty bad and needs to be reworked, it shows their new model to be too restrictive when in fact is much more flexible than it seems, Bioware is doing a poor job at advertising their product and this new model, people shouldn't have to go investigating the Dev Tracker to find out more about F2P, it's up to Bioware to bring the information to all their potential customers and let them know all the positives aspects and flexibilities of their new model, not just the restrictions.

LordDakir's Avatar


LordDakir
11.26.2012 , 09:33 AM | #2
Very good point, they need to mention this more clearly that all f2p restrictions can be bought with ingame credits or traded

Kleryk's Avatar


Kleryk
11.26.2012 , 09:40 AM | #3
And yet there are hundreds if not thousands of new players with the majority reaching Alderaan or Taris at the moment. I am not saying that this F2P model is fair for f2players, but then again BioWare said up front that F2Players will be severely limited. I mean.. if they want to enjoy the storylines, they can practically do it with what they get. Flashpoints? They don't need them, but they can still play some. Maybe the gear equip restriction is really bad, but other than that I can accept it. Why, you ask? Because I am a subscriber.

What gives them the right to demand more? They have access to the most important part of the game - storylines. If they want more, why don't they subscribe?

You know, you can get a toon to level 50 in less than two weeks if you play regularly. You won't be broke if you buy one month subscription and enjoy everything to it's fullest. Noone ever said that BioWare wanted to keep their f2p players as contented as Turbine with it's LotRO and DDO now, did they? The F2P is a free trial based on revolving door marketing. Some will play it and finish the desired storyline without paying, and then delete the game and move on. Some will play it, spend a few bucks/euros on crucial Cartel Market content and leave. Few others will decide - just like those two F2P guys I grouped up with for Athiss - that the game is so cool that they want to sub and enjoy all the bonuses available for subscribers.

You do not demand more from people who give you something for free. But it is up to you to decide if you want to accept it or pass by. All in all, this F2P model, as restrictive and imperfect it might seem, is actually pretty well-thought. We will see how successful it will be with time.
At least I have chicken.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
11.26.2012 , 10:18 AM | #4
F2P = New version of a trial account

It can also be considered a free sample of the main product. You get the taste of it, and if you like the taste you buy the product. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if $15/month is too much then I'd just start saving up for the 1-time unlocks.

The point is to get people to sub so that they won't have to deal with restrictions.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

LordDakir's Avatar


LordDakir
11.26.2012 , 10:20 AM | #5
You guys clearly did not read what the OP said lol...

Guancyto's Avatar


Guancyto
11.26.2012 , 10:29 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleryk View Post
What gives them the right to demand more? They have access to the most important part of the game - storylines. If they want more, why don't they subscribe?
You didn't read the OP, did you.

He's right, aside from the restrictions the F2P conversion has terrible advertising. I had a friend getting into it who was under the impression that he would never be able to Sprint (he played City of Heroes; CoH Sprint is faster than SWToR speeders). I had to point out that the empty symbol (when moused over) indicated he'd be able to do it at level 15.

There are examples like that all over. For something that's supposed to save the game they're doing a really bad job of marketing it and being clear about what's restricted and what isn't. Did you know F2P players can't get credit boxes from mission rewards? It's not a big deal - BW probably does it to keep away credit farmers with free accounts and Slicing. That's reasonable. But a F2P player doesn't know that until they get into the game and see it, generally at level 4 or 5. One that's seen all the F2P restrictions already sees one more (ostensibly nonsensical) restriction added onto that.

Journeyer's Avatar


Journeyer
11.26.2012 , 10:37 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleryk View Post
What gives them the right to demand more? They have access to the most important part of the game - storylines. If they want more, why don't they subscribe?
I'm pretty sure you didn't actually read the OP, so I'll let you go back and do that now.
He's quite right; I work at a college, next to the Helpdesk--an area filled with dozens of students at any given moment of the day discussing video games. I have *heard* misinformation, and the negative impact it has had. Folks saying that there's all these horrible restrictions, therefore they decided not to even try the game. Which was the OP's point. Which I am corroborating with real-world witnessing.

He's not saying "lift the restrictions." He's saying "Stop presenting the restrictions out of context and making is sound as though if you try the game for free, you'll be severely handicapped and unable to play."

Heck--I've even heard 2 separate people mention that Tor doesn't sound worth it because they read that there's a level cap... Play till 50 or something... And they don't want to get into it and have to stop. See what a little bit of misunderstanding and de-contextualized bullet pointing can do?
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

Panthian's Avatar


Panthian
11.26.2012 , 10:39 AM | #8
I agree with the OP, he worded it very nicely.

I think one of the issues with the feature chart is also that its very missleading, in the sense that people look at the chart and see ****! F2p dont even get sprint nor access to mounts! for excample, which simply put isnt the case, if you mouse over the check boxes it clearly states they DO get access to mounts, at a later lvl( the original lvls) then subscribers.

The chart isnt (for the lack of better words) idiot proof.
Like mentioned above, people asume you do not get sprint as F2P, if they listed it as :
feature sub - pref - f2p
Sprint : lvl 1 - lvl 1- lvl 15

It would have been alot clearer .

tzagheru's Avatar


tzagheru
11.26.2012 , 10:49 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kleryk View Post
And yet there are hundreds if not thousands of new players with the majority reaching Alderaan or Taris at the moment. I am not saying that this F2P model is fair for f2players, but then again BioWare said up front that F2Players will be severely limited. I mean.. if they want to enjoy the storylines, they can practically do it with what they get. Flashpoints? They don't need them, but they can still play some. Maybe the gear equip restriction is really bad, but other than that I can accept it. Why, you ask? Because I am a subscriber.

What gives them the right to demand more? They have access to the most important part of the game - storylines. If they want more, why don't they subscribe?

You know, you can get a toon to level 50 in less than two weeks if you play regularly. You won't be broke if you buy one month subscription and enjoy everything to it's fullest. Noone ever said that BioWare wanted to keep their f2p players as contented as Turbine with it's LotRO and DDO now, did they? The F2P is a free trial based on revolving door marketing. Some will play it and finish the desired storyline without paying, and then delete the game and move on. Some will play it, spend a few bucks/euros on crucial Cartel Market content and leave. Few others will decide - just like those two F2P guys I grouped up with for Athiss - that the game is so cool that they want to sub and enjoy all the bonuses available for subscribers.

You do not demand more from people who give you something for free. But it is up to you to decide if you want to accept it or pass by. All in all, this F2P model, as restrictive and imperfect it might seem, is actually pretty well-thought. We will see how successful it will be with time.
half of what you said is correct but this 'f2p' hype attempt was EAwares last chance to revive this dying game, they cant aford the luxury of these stupid restrictions.
ok lets say as a f2p player you finally hit 50 and then what, you start again with other class? ok and then what? its not about the price its about the concept, eventually if you want to actually 'PLAY' this game you will have to pay, so then this 'f2p' is not so f2p after all.

do some digging on all major mmo websites and take a look at the global image of this 'well-thought system' that you say.
threads filled with disappointment over restrictions and poor pvp/pve content, new players but also former subscribers.

yea huge success ahead..

Fornix's Avatar


Fornix
11.26.2012 , 11:06 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tzagheru View Post
do some digging on all major mmo websites and take a look at the global image of this 'well-thought system' that you say.
The system in which, if you play your cards well, you may hardly have to pay a cent in the future. Unlocks are already dropping in price, it'll be a matter of time before you can just purchase the majority of your unlocks by means of ingame credits.

Obviously those with sub room-temperature IQ's will fail to grasp that, and considering as to how many of them make up the communities on a lot of those sites it simply cannot be helped.

Quote: Originally Posted by tzagheru View Post
threads filled with disappointment over restrictions and poor pvp/pve content, new players but also former subscribers.
Poor PvE/PvP content however, is a matter of taste.

Yes, I absolutely hate hutball. I think it's in the same level of terrible as Arathi Basin or Warschung Gulsch was in WoW.

However, there are plenty of others who like hutball, and there are plenty of people who like AB and WG in WoW.

The same goes for the raiding content. I loved Black Temple when I was younger, and enjoyed my time in ICC. However, as I've grown older I must say I'm much less inclined to repeat those sort of raids but rather stick to something like EC or TFB. Something which if you learn the ropes, may be finished in approx 90 minutes - 2 hours.

In terms of raiding difficulty though, WoW and SWTOR don't differ a lot. They're both relatively easy. If you can learn to dance, you can also learn to do the required steps in such raids.
Member of <Helix>