Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Character Versioning Error

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ColrathFuriae
11.22.2012 , 08:48 AM | #1
Hello,

I currently cannot log in with my main character (other characters work fine) as it throws this error message:
"There has been an unexpected error while versioning your character. Please contact customer service at testing@swtor.com"

I assume this is related to my previous in game ticket #6880658 that was "fixed" by the CS.

I've contacted that email address as well made in game ticket about but no answer for couple of days now. As my main character is affected by this, I would like some one to look at this matter ASAP.

Thank you!

Rae_Raeth
11.24.2012 , 06:56 AM | #2
I've got pretty much the exact same issue.

TDemon
11.26.2012 , 12:29 AM | #3
There are a few people getting this error message, and sadly, there is nothing you can do about it, except informing customer service

see: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=365687

Cerimon
11.26.2012 , 08:38 AM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Greetings All,

We are aware of this particular error and are working on providing a resolution in an upcoming patch.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Drth_Vengence
11.26.2012 , 12:33 PM | #5
I am also affected by this issue. Do we have a timeframe on the patch? Is it the one scheduled for today/tonight or next week. I have been unable to access my Main since 11/20, this is affecting me and my guild as the character is the Guild Master.

nkarabats
11.26.2012 , 12:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
[color=#f9d648] Greetings All,

We don't care about this particular error and are not really working on providing a resolution in an upcoming patch. In fact we will most likely break more code.

We don't apologize for any inconvenience caused and thank you for paying EA/Bioware
Fixed.

Do YOUR JOB!!!! several people pay to play...fix the game. EARN YOUR gosh darn PAYCHECK! Support the people that have/still support your company.
Medically Retired Sith Warrior

Packetdancer
11.26.2012 , 03:16 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by nkarabats View Post
EARN YOUR gosh darn PAYCHECK! Support the people that have/still support your company.
What would you want the CS folks to do to "EARN YOUR gosh-darned PAYCHECK" in this case? This is a genuine question, not a rhetorical one; I'm genuinely curious. (And I'll bet you that if there is something realistic within their power and authority to do to make things smoother for players, the CS folks would probably love to know that.)

If "the developers are aware of this and working on a fix" isn't sufficient but is all CS has been given, should they just stay silent until they do have an ETA or something more solid from the developers? Though I've noticed that if they do, people tend to complain that they'd like an acknowledgment of their problems as was given here. And even if they work in the same building as the developers—not always the case—a member of the forum CS team can hardly just walk down the hallway into a developer's office, sit down at a computer, and be like "Right! Let's crack open some Mountain Dew, boot Visual Studio and fix this up for the folks on the forum!"

I get the ire, mind you: calling the F2P launch 'rocky' at this point would be exceptionally generous. There are plenty of far less polite terms one could use, and this situation is costing players actual real-world cash, whether in the form of things like unplayable accounts or Schroedingerscriptions (where the account is simultaneously both F2P and paid, as the servers and account page can't agree on which), or missing Cartel Coins, or whatever. So anger is totally understandable.

But while yelling at the yellow names here in the CS forum may be cathartic, that isn't likely to actually achieve much. Simply because there's probably not much additional stuff the CS folks can actually do with regards to fixing a lot of what they're yelled at over; that just isn't within their power, any more than yelling at the cashier at JCPenny about something the company's CEO decided is likely to get the CEO to change their mind.

And sure, be angry at EA or BioWare for how this has been handled. Call them out on the MMO gaming sites. Express your displeasure. Cancel your subscription if you feel strongly!

But as players, we gain absolutely nothing by abusing the individual CS reps. Because I guarantee you that not one of them is the person making the big-picture management decisions over there, and chances are they aren't even speaking to the folks who are on any sort of regular basis.

(Well, unless one of the EA/BioWare executives moonlights as part of the CS team, which come to think of it would actually be brilliant; if I ever start a game company of my own, I'm totally forcing all the higher-ups to do one day of service on the CS team per month answering to the CS team leads, just to ensure they stay in touch with any problems facing the playerbase. But that's neither here nor there.)
Pahke Stardancer (Jedi Sentinel, Save Taris)
Writer, photographer, software engineer, GAMER.

dagrouch
11.26.2012 , 09:10 PM | #8
I have the same exact issue...definetly think it has something to do with ticketing/restoration issues.

TDemon
11.27.2012 , 04:27 AM | #9
Servers up again, but still no access to my main character

dagrouch
11.27.2012 , 12:29 PM | #10
Any ETA on this fix since a patch has gone and this is still unresolved? This is a gamebreaking bug as we can't even log in. I'll gladly take a naked HK bug over this.