Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Padme, innocent as they protray her?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Padme, innocent as they protray her?

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 03:00 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Your point is debatable to say the least. But to say "1000 times" is a bit of an exaduration.

Remember: Anakin is no saint.
Well it's just much much worse.

JacenHallis's Avatar


JacenHallis
11.25.2012 , 06:07 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
The love story between Padme and Anakin is TERIBBLE!! Not to mention how unrealistic it is! Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul.... tomenting me." That's the worst line EVER!
The line is cheesy, and not in a good way. But, the sentiment is a good one. Have you never been in love with someone so much that the mere thought of them hurts because you're not together? Have you ever loved someone, been close to that person on a regular basis, but know that you can't be with him or her? That's what that line means. Anakin was so in love (some detractors might say merely infatuated) with Padme that the fact that he was not with her caused him anguish.

And therein lies one of Anakin's flaws, and it's not a flaw of his character, but his upbringing. I don't believe the Jedi Order really prepared most kids with how to deal with emotions well. Certainly, in Anakin's case, he was poorly equipped for them. Love, anger, fear ... whatever the emotion, Anakin lacked the tools to deal with them in positive ways. And that more than any other thing was what I think fated his downfall.

As to the OP's question regarding Padme herself, I like to think that Padme is the idealist she's portrayed as being. But, I think she also knew that telling anyone what happened on Tatooine wouldn't do much good. No one on Tatooine likes the Sand People. Hell, they'd probably give him a medal. The Lars family certainly would celebrate what happened. On Coruscant, all it would serve to do is bring Anakin's future as a Jedi into question. Better to keep quiet and let him learn the lesson on his own.

Of course, to use the vernacular, all that did was enable him. Perhaps if she had told Obi-Wan, then he could have talked to Anakin about those feelings. It's not as if the Jedi are unforgiving to people who backslide a bit. As far as keeping the marriage a secret, that was probably completely necessary. The Jedi forbid attachments, and Anakin surely would have been kicked out. It wouldn't just be for being married, as a Jedi could apply for a special dispensation for marriage. But, he married a Senator--a politician; that would, I think, be the greater problem.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.25.2012 , 06:45 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by JacenHallis View Post
The line is cheesy, and not in a good way. But, the sentiment is a good one. Have you never been in love with someone so much that the mere thought of them hurts because you're not together? Have you ever loved someone, been close to that person on a regular basis, but know that you can't be with him or her? That's what that line means. Anakin was so in love (some detractors might say merely infatuated) with Padme that the fact that he was not with her caused him anguish.

And therein lies one of Anakin's flaws, and it's not a flaw of his character, but his upbringing. I don't believe the Jedi Order really prepared most kids with how to deal with emotions well. Certainly, in Anakin's case, he was poorly equipped for them. Love, anger, fear ... whatever the emotion, Anakin lacked the tools to deal with them in positive ways. And that more than any other thing was what I think fated his downfall.

As to the OP's question regarding Padme herself, I like to think that Padme is the idealist she's portrayed as being. But, I think she also knew that telling anyone what happened on Tatooine wouldn't do much good. No one on Tatooine likes the Sand People. Hell, they'd probably give him a medal. The Lars family certainly would celebrate what happened. On Coruscant, all it would serve to do is bring Anakin's future as a Jedi into question. Better to keep quiet and let him learn the lesson on his own.

Of course, to use the vernacular, all that did was enable him. Perhaps if she had told Obi-Wan, then he could have talked to Anakin about those feelings. It's not as if the Jedi are unforgiving to people who backslide a bit. As far as keeping the marriage a secret, that was probably completely necessary. The Jedi forbid attachments, and Anakin surely would have been kicked out. It wouldn't just be for being married, as a Jedi could apply for a special dispensation for marriage. But, he married a Senator--a politician; that would, I think, be the greater problem.
You make a good point.

However: you say many of Anakin's flaws have to do with his upbringing (essiantially the Order's fault). I strongly disagree. I remember reading a book about when Anakin was a young padawan, and compared to the other padawans (who were also brought up by the Order) Anakin's character was still bad.

That kid was just messed up. If I had to use one word to sum him up, it would be selfish.

Sorry. This has been off topic.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.25.2012 , 06:47 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Well it's just much much worse.
I don't recall Revan ever slaughtering a room of younglings.

But I respect your opinion, so I guess will have to agree to disagree.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 06:53 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
I don't recall Revan ever slaughtering a room of younglings.

But I respect your opinion, so I guess will have to agree to disagree.
No, he just wanted to commit genocide on everyone who has Sith ancestry.

BradTheImpaler's Avatar


BradTheImpaler
11.25.2012 , 09:57 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
No, he just wanted to commit genocide on everyone who has Sith ancestry.
As a great philosopher once said, "People die in war."
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

GarfieldJL's Avatar


GarfieldJL
11.25.2012 , 10:09 PM | #27
I think Anakin's reaction was one that though what he did was wrong, was understandable. I don't think it would have gotten him thrown out of the order, but it would have gotten him lectured over controlling his emotions. I mean seriously, I think about every Jedi on the council would have racked up huge body count after witnessing that kind of a death, if for no other reason than to put a stop to it, also it is hard to tell male and female tuskens apart by that era. I think other Jedi would have spared the children and probably taken the time to try to find them homes where they could get a more "civilized" upbringing.

However, I do think a lot of Jedi would agree that those kind of raids where they are kidnapping people and torturing them to death needed to be put an end to.

Shlumper's Avatar


Shlumper
11.26.2012 , 01:47 AM | #28
The tuskan argument doesn't make sense. Padme doesn't know anything about them other than they kidnapped Anakin's mother. For all she knows, their sentience could be at the level of gorillas. Anakin slaughtered an entire tribe of what she probably thinks are animals. While it would be off-putting, it would be understandable given his emotional state.

enigmayshi's Avatar


enigmayshi
11.27.2012 , 10:09 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Shlumper View Post
The tuskan argument doesn't make sense. Padme doesn't know anything about them other than they kidnapped Anakin's mother. For all she knows, their sentience could be at the level of gorillas. Anakin slaughtered an entire tribe of what she probably thinks are animals. While it would be off-putting, it would be understandable given his emotional state.
His words and tone to her would of made it plain as day to anyone, even lacking knowledge in the specifics that he just slaughtered an entire tribe and indigenous sentients.

You don't use the term 'like animals' to describe a mere animals behavior it is ONLY used to describe an intelligent being acting less evolved.

By staying silent she hurt anakin more than help and was rather obvious the dumb thing to do rather than go and tell obi wan "I think Anakin needs help he's holding in alot of anger." Even if one accepts an arguement of padme just thinking they were animals as hilarious dumb as that would be. Going into a rage and slaughtering a crap ton of animals who can't even hold malice in their actions makes it even worse. It shows just how little control Anakin has over himself and makes her decision to keep silent even more mind boggling.

Nataph's Avatar


Nataph
12.02.2012 , 01:01 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I don't understand why some people love to judge characters black and white.

Sure Anakin's action is over the top while he had a reason, Padme was wrong to not point it out, but that does not make her a bad person.
Doesnt make her a good person either.

We all see Anakins reasons making it appear he had a right to do what he did instead of finding her and placing them in custody.. I know that sounds stupid but hey, he is a jedi.
What about the sand people? Maybe Shmi was on their land taking their berries and was trying to speak to her before she went all, "My son is a jedi and he is going to whoop you!" so they freaked out and placed her in bondages until the Sand People police showed up. Then Ani finds her and kills them? :P

I just think there are always two sides of a story and we only get one, however, the Sand People do infact have a history and I agree with such. But Ani's eventual demise shows his past at the tuskan hut was very much part of it.
And with that... Qui Gon talks to yoda in the spiritual realm and he heard qui yell at ani but never talked about even when he told mace about it. Talk about loose ends. And qui gon never bothered to tell yoda."oh hey.. i saw little ani go cyclone on the sand peeps. Just so you kno."
The Bastion

55's Ixzaran Aar'siah Hâdassah Hada'ssah Nashata Nataph Sashasa