Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Padme, innocent as they protray her?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Padme, innocent as they protray her?

Nataph
11.25.2012 , 10:23 AM | #1
As I watch the Clone Wars Series, Padme is the same as always. She cares so much and wishes peace for everyone. She loves everyone and is willing to do everything to create peace for the war, however is she that innocent?

I mean the woman knew Anakin killed Tusken raiders and their children and she kept quiet. Not only that but she falls in love with the killer and marries him. Marries him when she knew Jedi were supposed to not get married going against an Jedi Order's rule. She lies about their marriage the whole time and never tells anyone about their marriage. She didn't even answer Obi when he questioned her that the baby was Anakin's.
But yet, the Clone Wars series leads us to believe she is the perpetual tree hugger and lover of all mankind.... other than the tuskan raiders because of course they were bad savage animals along with the children.
Padme was also easily manipulated by Palpatine and is associated with the Fall of the Republic and the Reign of the Sith.

Innocent? Despite the lies and the knowledge of a killer.
or
The Righteous peace lover who was just so in love she was willing to forego her lover's obvious flaws?
The Bastion

Ixzaran - X'Allure - Aar'siah - Hada'ssah - Lots of 60's

Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 10:27 AM | #2
Well as a politician she's good enough.

Nataph
11.25.2012 , 10:38 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Well as a politician she's good enough.
so what you are saying is as a politician, the secrets hidden under the perception of good, is just like a real life politician? :P
The Bastion

Ixzaran - X'Allure - Aar'siah - Hada'ssah - Lots of 60's

epicfear
11.25.2012 , 10:42 AM | #4
Well, considering that she got into politics while she was just a teenager, then I figure she is a wonderful jab at the entire idea that royalty is in any way inherently good.

The entire prequel trilogy is rather good if you look at it as a jab at traditional morals and the horrors that war drives everyone to.

But i digress, padme was developmentally stunted by politics.
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU

Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 10:43 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Nataph View Post
so what you are saying is as a politician, the secrets hidden under the perception of good, is just like a real life politician? :P
Like a real life politician, the world is not just black/white.

Maaruin
11.25.2012 , 12:10 PM | #6
Concerning the Tusken: I think Padme is kind of a racist/speciesist. Not as strong as some other humans, but unconsciously so does value some uncivilizend aliens less then humans. Sometimes people don't see their own biases.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 12:12 PM | #7
Like the argument I had on the fanfic section, Satele Shan didn't stop some horrible crimes or even aided it, that does not make her evil, just more complexed.

MasterMe
11.25.2012 , 12:16 PM | #8
This (imo) was the worst thing that Lucas ever did (maybe 2nd to the Ewoks).

The love story between Padme and Anakin is TERIBBLE!! Not to mention how unrealistic it is! Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul.... tomenting me." That's the worst line EVER!

Yeah, I like a good love story, and I think that AotC would have been WAY better if the love story could have been different.

Slowpokeking
11.25.2012 , 12:24 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
This (imo) was the worst thing that Lucas ever did (maybe 2nd to the Ewoks).

The love story between Padme and Anakin is TERIBBLE!! Not to mention how unrealistic it is! Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul.... tomenting me." That's the worst line EVER!

Yeah, I like a good love story, and I think that AotC would have been WAY better if the love story could have been different.
The romance is bad, but Anakin's slaughter against the tusken raiders is a good scene, that shows he could do anything for his loved ones, even if it's horrible.

Wolfninjajedi
11.25.2012 , 12:43 PM | #10
I kinda already explained this through several threads..though can't find my posts, will cover it in my Analysis thread for Anakin. But I don't think innocent is the right word for Padme here, I mean she has fought in battle many times, she does care about her people and the Republic that is for sure. Really though, they spent a lot of time together alone while the movies don't really show this you pretty much have to take into account of what happens off screen of what you don't see(just like any other movie).

This more then likely was refreshing to Padme, as she got to actually KNOW someone rather then being hit on by snobbish senators or princes or whoever, never those wanting to get to actually know her.

As for her being manipulated...not entirely sure where that comes from, she was plotting with others(Bail Organa and Mon Mothma notably) against Palpatine.

To the Sand People thing, they are monsters. They aren't human in the sense that they actually care for anyone who they attack, I mean they train their youths to be killers, having them go out and torture beasts or humans(example Shmi). So them all being killed by Anakin, doesn't really make him a killer...he wasn't kill defenseless people he was killing monsters who go out, raid farms and carvans, kill/capture/torture the people and take their things.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.