Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Star Wars: The Old Republic State of the Game
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JCPuros
11.15.2012 , 05:36 PM | #321
If it hasn't been said already...

One of the problems with subscriber retention is a mentor system that is lacking greatly. It makes it hard to bring ppl along in the game. Once there is a couple of lvls between players it becomes hard to game together. There are a lot of players that are left in the dark about the the in's and out's of the game that aren't covered in tutorials. Yes, RTFM does apply but mentorship makes it much easier and grows the community.

Electrocutor
11.20.2012 , 11:38 AM | #322
If I may be so bold as to counter your assessment, the reason that swtor lost so many players has nothing to do with whether or not the game requires a subscription. Going free-to-play will undoubtedly bring in a great many new players, but that will not change the underlying problems that drive away existing players: regardless if they are free or pay.

The fact is that everyone has their own opinions on the most important reasons why people leave, but there are also a great many commonalities. When I first stopped my subscription after 6 months, the survey I was presented with about why I unsubscribed only compounded the reasons why I did: the survey itself was so closed-minded that it didn't allow me to convey in any sense the reason I had left.

I believe the very first step you need to do is create a web site interface where all subscribed players can vote for or ad-hoc add the things that most need to be fixed, most need to be changed, and most need to be added; being able to have 5 active votes in each category at a time. All free players should be allowed to vote for three of each category, but not allowed to add their own new ones. Each item would have an attached forum thread where players and staff can discuss details. Have this interface heavily monitored with each votable item searchable by keyword to avoid any duplicate entries. EA may want another category specific to EA content that allows players (free and subbed) to vote, but not add anything. The key is to keep such a system clean, easy to find and vote, and actively looked at by EA staff.

This is the only way I can think for the community to directly and cleanly be involved in EA's improvement of SWTOR without it becoming a chaotic mess. It will also allow EA staff to get immediate feedback on things without having to sift through mass amounts of forum entries.
~ It is as it is.

Journeyer
11.20.2012 , 11:50 AM | #323
Quote: Originally Posted by JCPuros View Post
If it hasn't been said already...

One of the problems with subscriber retention is a mentor system that is lacking greatly. It makes it hard to bring ppl along in the game. Once there is a couple of lvls between players it becomes hard to game together. There are a lot of players that are left in the dark about the the in's and out's of the game that aren't covered in tutorials. Yes, RTFM does apply but mentorship makes it much easier and grows the community.
This is quoted for truth. Many, many people I grouped with all the time through Coruscant and Taris...and they played more than me and within a week, I couldn't run with them anymore.

Happened with the first guild I joined, too, in reverse--was a small (16 people after 3 weeks) very casual guild, and by mid-January, everyone was too spread out to run FPs.

Ironic, too, since this game has classes specifically based on rank and mentoring systems.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution

rasitlinmajer
11.24.2012 , 11:38 PM | #324
Well ftp is out the the server population on the oceanic realms are still so low its not funny, especially the pvp realm, we need the oceanic realms merger to go ahead asap.
before more existing people leave and the ftp leave also as no one to play game with.
also you still have way to many problem with game that need fixing. ps hears a option start a list of the problems with game, and try something different from your past approaches and actually fix them.
And tell us what you are planing on fixing next, and fix at least one or two problems a week

Janrek
11.24.2012 , 11:43 PM | #325
Quote: Originally Posted by rasitlinmajer View Post
well ftp is out the the server population on the oceanic realms are still so low its not funny, especially the pvp realm, we need the oceanic realms merger to go ahead asap.
Before more existing people leave and the ftp leave also as no one to play game with.
Also you still have way to many problem with game that need fixing. Ps hears a option start a list of the problems with game, and try something different from your past approaches and actually fix them.
And tell us what you are planing on fixing next, and fix at least one or two problems a week
sir yes sir

Temad
11.24.2012 , 11:46 PM | #326
Heres a thought that tells anyone who is playing the State of the Game (being its crap)....

How about you friggin geniuses don't drop a bugged Cash store and major game changing patch 2 days before a vacation week?

No one in your company should be having a light week....you should all be fearing for your jobs and working your asses off to make sure the ship doesn't keep sinking faster.

It is inconceivable that they did what they did with this patch and subsequent total Dev drop off.
This is my signature.

Golconda
11.25.2012 , 12:07 AM | #327
Sadly, I can't disagree with a lot of this. I still believe in this game and I have faith that things will improve. I don't think it is dying or that it will be going anywhere for a while. I think the biggest problem is EA. Bioware is one of my favorite gaming companies ever and I feel that EA has is basically the Wal-Mart of the gaming industry. Trying to take as much as they can and suck the tree dry.

I have a good community and a good guild but who made the awful decision that if the guild leader goes free 2 play that they lose their guild leadership. This is an awful decision for those who have school or work, family, whatever it may be that wants to take a week, a month or longer to sort things out. It used to be that their subscription could lapse and they just come back. Not a huge deal but now Bioware has made it one. I am still enjoying the game but I am disappointed in what has happened.

I will ask that people stop comparing things to WoW not because I don't see why but because WoW caught a market and caught it in a very unique time frame. WoW was AWFUL in the beginning. It had some of the worst lag and crashes that I have ever seen but they improved and changed. Now, I admit that they are stretching things a bit now but I don't think that something like WoW will ever happen again. It was a fluke and we should look at games based on their individual pros and cons. SWTOR has a lot of both for sure. I just hope that EA doesn't keep trying to suck money from wherever and tries to let Bioware really listen to the players and actually give them a staff to make it happen.
"All of us are in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
- Oscar Wilde
Rough Trade Gaming Community

GalacticKegger
11.25.2012 , 12:56 AM | #328
Quote: Originally Posted by rasitlinmajer View Post
Well ftp is out the the server population on the oceanic realms are still so low its not funny, especially the pvp realm, we need the oceanic realms merger to go ahead asap.
before more existing people leave and the ftp leave also as no one to play game with.
also you still have way to many problem with game that need fixing. ps hears a option start a list of the problems with game, and try something different from your past approaches and actually fix them.
I feel for you. I don't know if it's a difference in tastes or what, but the stateside servers (at least on Harbinger and Jedi Covenant) are packed pretty much 24x7. F2P has added almost an additional instance worth of players on the planets and in fleet.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

turjake
11.25.2012 , 01:49 AM | #329
There are plenty of reasons why people left the game. I doubt 15$ monthly fee was anywhere near the most important one for most people.

Having been here since the start I think one of the major ones was that the game was released too early and too buggy. I am guessing that there was some "hard deadline" because no-one with any sense is going to release a mmorpg few days before christmas unless they really have to. The game has become a lot smoother and visually better but there are still some annoying bugs that have been since the launch and I doubt they are going to be fixed any time soon. I'll just mention a few as an example:

- Loading screens. Why do I have to stare that same loading screen for 5-10 seconds every time I alt-tab or change instance. Alt-tabbing is a very common activity in mmorpgs and all your competitors can switch to desktop and back without loading the whole graphics system from the disk/net/wherever.

- Related to alt-tabbing, why does the engine still not honor the desktop refresh-rates. For example, I set my desktop to 60hz (old flatscreen). I set the game to 60hz. I make sure from monitors info that it is running on 60hz. Then I alt-tab from a game to desktop and check the monitors info. Now it shows that refres has changed to 75 hz, which is the maximum of my monitor. Earlier when I had to play with a crt monitor the game took the graphic cards maximum refresh in this situation and showed a black screen since it was way over the monitors capabilities. I have complained about this since the beginning. This game was supposed to run on older hardware, yet if you plug in an old monitor the game gets broken. What is even worse it messes the desktop resolutions permanently and you need some computer tech skills to change them back. Plenty of people used to complain about this in tech support forums. I am sure most have gone away to other games which just work.

I'll better stop now or this becomes full rant

Anyway I got about 1500 cartel coins left after buying some things. What am I supposed to buy with them exactly? I dont have a ship or house to decorate so I dont see much point in buying any decorative items. There are no clothing slots (appearance or whatever they are called in other games) so I dont see point in buying more clothes. I dont need unlocks since I got subscription. Pets? Lotteryboxes? I guess I will save the coins in case I need them later.

GalacticKegger
11.25.2012 , 12:54 PM | #330
Quote: Originally Posted by turjake View Post
Anyway I got about 1500 cartel coins left after buying some things. What am I supposed to buy with them exactly? I dont have a ship or house to decorate so I dont see much point in buying any decorative items. There are no clothing slots (appearance or whatever they are called in other games) so I dont see point in buying more clothes. I dont need unlocks since I got subscription. Pets? Lotteryboxes? I guess I will save the coins in case I need them later.
I bought a Pathfinder gear set for one of my alts, and extra account-wide inventory modules & cargo bays. Have about 1,000 left over after this month's stipend. My wife bought inventory modules and cargo bays, pets (she collects them) and Cartel Packs for a chance at more pets & mounts. There are plenty of things in both the game and the Cartel Shop that appeal to many, just not all. Such is life.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu