Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Writer for EP 8 and 9 has been picked

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Writer for EP 8 and 9 has been picked

Darth_Urtani's Avatar


Darth_Urtani
11.22.2012 , 12:38 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I find it difficult to trust a writer who doesn't already have experience with Star Wars - but that's just me being skeptical.
George Lucas had experience with Star Wars, and he made the prequels. Soo...
CE VIP

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.22.2012 , 12:39 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
I think the most interesting thing about Episode 8 and kasaden writing it is that they clearly want it to be dark and have a sad ending like Empire was. I think one of the original 3 characters will die in Ep 8.
And that's good - while Star Wars should always have something of a comical tone, a darker more, emotional installment amongst a saga always works well. Empire Strikes Back of course worked brilliantly, and Revenge of the Sith was also very impactual.

I hope they all write with a similar voice/vein however, otherwise the saga will seem very disjointed in terms of style.

EDIT:
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Urtani View Post
George Lucas had experience with Star Wars, and he made the prequels. Soo...
Lol, while I'm not a big hater of the prequels (RotS is my favourite film) I see your point. But you must admit, the lore was sound and it slotted in perfectly with the Original trilogy (unless your one of those midichlorian haters). It was the cinematography that was at fault, and maybe the storyline at least for the first one.

StarChompo's Avatar


StarChompo
11.22.2012 , 05:26 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
I think the most interesting thing about Episode 8 and kasaden writing it is that they clearly want it to be dark and have a sad ending like Empire was. I think one of the original 3 characters will die in Ep 8.
I agree. I think this might be the death of Han Solo movie. If Ford comes back, it makes perfect sense due to his age. Hammil was born in 51 (if I recall right) and Fisher was born in 55 or 56, so those two hopefully have at least 10 years of acting left, if they desire it. Fisher needs to lose some wieght and Hamill needs to grow a beard or use a prostectic, hasn't aged well.
Just make the death worthy of the character. Understand that in 2018 (ep. VIII release I'm thinking) Han Solo will have been peoples hero for over 40 years.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
11.22.2012 , 05:40 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
Lawrence Kasdan writer of EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and Simon Kinberg writer of the new Sherlock Holmes movies have been picked up to write episode 8 and 9 woo hoo

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...n-simon-393459
Some hope endures then.....

Here's to hoping that the idea for Ep VII is completely rethought though.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

sstanks's Avatar


sstanks
11.22.2012 , 06:54 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by StarChompo View Post
I agree. I think this might be the death of Han Solo movie. If Ford comes back, it makes perfect sense due to his age. Hammil was born in 51 (if I recall right) and Fisher was born in 55 or 56, so those two hopefully have at least 10 years of acting left, if they desire it. Fisher needs to lose some wieght and Hamill needs to grow a beard or use a prostectic, hasn't aged well.
Just make the death worthy of the character. Understand that in 2018 (ep. VIII release I'm thinking) Han Solo will have been peoples hero for over 40 years.
I think it would be more likely that it would be the death of Leia that would cause Luke to go over to the dark side and thus we get the return of Darth Vader.

Rauzgriz's Avatar


Rauzgriz
11.23.2012 , 10:49 PM | #16
I honestly dont care how good the movies are so long as they follow one guideline, which knowing Disney I think is doubtful. That they dont trample all over the canon. If they were the best written and acted movies ever, but ignored the canon, I would hate them for that reason. The issue is that if Disney does decide to go against the canon, it wont be little small details that few people know or care about, they will completely ignore all the novels and games that are set after episode 6.

sstanks's Avatar


sstanks
11.23.2012 , 11:39 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Rauzgriz View Post
I honestly dont care how good the movies are so long as they follow one guideline, which knowing Disney I think is doubtful. That they dont trample all over the canon. If they were the best written and acted movies ever, but ignored the canon, I would hate them for that reason. The issue is that if Disney does decide to go against the canon, it wont be little small details that few people know or care about, they will completely ignore all the novels and games that are set after episode 6.
well you might as well start hating as they said it's going to be an original story. Seeing as Georgy didn't care about the canon when he wrote the prequels why should disney care about it now?

Fleurdelis's Avatar


Fleurdelis
11.24.2012 , 01:19 AM | #18
8 and 9? Ok but who is writing episode 7? Please dont let it be george.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.24.2012 , 06:55 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Fleurdelis View Post
8 and 9? Ok but who is writing episode 7? Please dont let it be george.
Micheal Arndt - he won an Academy Award for writing Little Miss Sunshine, and was nominated for writing Toy Story 3. And ever since 2006 he's being given speeches at writers retreats on the art of storytelling, and in particular why the ending to Star Wars: A New Hope is so creatively satisfying. He knows what he's doing - I hope.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
11.24.2012 , 03:24 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Micheal Arndt - he won an Academy Award for writing Little Miss Sunshine, and was nominated for writing Toy Story 3. And ever since 2006 he's being given speeches at writers retreats on the art of storytelling, and in particular why the ending to Star Wars: A New Hope is so creatively satisfying. He knows what he's doing - I hope.
He's goingto make Ep I look like Ep V ....sad to see he was allowed to touch Star Wars.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.