Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP 101 rule. Never let a Merc or Commando guard an objective by themselves

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PVP 101 rule. Never let a Merc or Commando guard an objective by themselves

Wainamoinen
11.23.2012 , 05:02 AM | #11
Yeah, I've an arsenal merc alt. For the love of the Emporer don't leave me alone to guard a node, just shoot me in the head yourself before you run off.

Super galling when I start off to help the other node, then ALL THREE teammates behind me leave the node, so I turn around and run back past them so there's at least someone to call inc.

Tip in this situation: Sweeping Blasters as an extra on-demand stealth scan. I start nervously flicking my camera between the node and the approach routes while dropping scans/sweeping blasters and waiting for the inevitable double-stealther gank.
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

Nassik
11.23.2012 , 05:10 AM | #12
In war zones, I've had to call for reinforcements when left alone at a node. My personal favorite...

"Please don't leave the bounty hunter alone."

Followed quickly by, "Inc 3 East! 2 Jedi 1 stealth"
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

Macroeconomics
11.23.2012 , 08:20 AM | #13
Merc dps can't fill any role on a team other than support dps. They can't guard. They can't sprint to fast cap a node. They can't act as the interceptor when sending 2 people to cap a side node at the start of a match since they don't have any 30m interdiction abilities. They have no utility at all. And then to top it off, for the only function they can fill, dps-ing, they are the worst dps subclass in the game.

The reality is that part of the reason Merc dps won't get buffed and why BW still considers Merc dps OP is that Merc dps is caught in this "no utility trap". Because Merc dps can't fill these other functions, they get filled by other subclasses while Merc dps is sent to go and dps. Thus Merc dps tends to have higher meta average damage scores. Constrast this with Assassin tanks - everyone's favorite solo node guard. Since Assassin tanks are used for this low damage+healing+protection role so often, their meta averages are much lower. Hence BW assumes they are underpowered and buffed them in 1.4.

TheronFett
11.23.2012 , 10:12 AM | #14
Don't blame the Merc or Commando, most of them know it's not their job. Blame the rest of your team.

The general mindset among players is: must DPS must DPS must DPS *drool*. I've seen it thousands of times. Everyone is chomping at the bit, ready to jump in there and pwn some nubs. No plan, no coordination, just over-eager derps who could care less about who gets left behind to cap/guard a node. All they know is, they're not going to be the one to do it. They're much too valuable to the team as DPS.

There is a HUGE difference in how Merc/Commando performs when you're in a group who understands that their role is support DPS. They are more than capable of topping damage charts and being an asset to the team. So if you don't want them guarding objectives...don't leave them there.

Jherad
11.23.2012 , 09:29 PM | #15
Yes, a team that leaves a DPS merc or commando to guard solo is terrible - and my goodness that AC needs some serious help. As someone stated, they're a support DPS class (supposedly) and should be pretty much left free to run with the team and add damage - and can put out respectable numbers against an average PUG.

To be fair though, there are a LOT of bad mercs/commandos who can't seem to break 200k even when left to freecast by the enemy team. It is very tempting to put dead weight on guard duty, and sadly people get tarred with the same brush.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

ArchangelLBC
11.24.2012 , 12:10 AM | #16
As a DPS commando nothing makes me more frustrated than being left to solo guard a node. As a Hybrid shadow looking to solo cap a node, nothing makes me happier than seeing a solo merc left to guard.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

fungihoujo
11.24.2012 , 12:33 AM | #17
What's a merc or commando? Sorry, I can't see anything in these WZ through all these 8k smashes.

fungihoujo
11.24.2012 , 12:35 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
Lesson 2: Be a Jedi Knight or a Sith Warrior this is called the L2Pick the right class
Oh, that's what L2P means.

"Rerolls a marauder and does a few battles"

... huh, you're right- suddenly I am the best player on my team every battle!

Thank you l2p, you changed my life!

Raynezazki
11.24.2012 , 08:28 AM | #19
Yeah I beat a lvl 49 merc guarding alone on my 28 sage =/

One interrupt and...yeah...that was pretty sad.

Flintfire
11.24.2012 , 09:08 AM | #20
Well, of course you dont leave a mercenary or commando by themself to guard. Im a mercenary, and I know its not the best in any way, but if there is a large amount of people fighting in one area, a mercenary is great. But you cant give them heat if they cant defend a target, because its almost always a melee fighter who goes to liberate it.
Infyrno Lvl 55 Infyrnus Lvl 54
Leiptr Lvl 55 Venaticus Lvl 44
Krrayt Lvl 55 Evisceran Lvl 55
Sleipe Lvl 55