Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Magdalane
11.22.2012 , 05:38 PM | #2241
Very nice, Irrissa, I remember how strange it seemed to send me, "fresh off the boat" so to speak, in to fight as soon as I arrived on Tython. You captured that helpless, wondrous feeling very well!

And Bright, if I die from aspiration of diet Coke into my lungs, it's all your fault! The slash fiction shorts have just been hilarious! <3 Wynston!

One more, and then I'll stop, I promise-- this one won't leave me alone til I write it out!

Lust and Trust
Miriah and Corso, continued

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

bright_ephemera
11.23.2012 , 12:59 AM | #2242
Ladies and gentlemen, having just finished a round of data analysis, I present to you some information on where our SFC stories are set and who has been hooking up with whom! The data integrity may not be great, as I did much of this in a hurry out of a desire to get some kind of info on a limited time budget. But all this is in the ballpark, promise.

First, the planets we write on:

Next, kissin' time:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile
11.23.2012 , 04:08 AM | #2243
What I learnt from that, Bright? 69 is the greatest number and I need to write more kissy scenes.

Magdalane: Corso's a totally love-struck sap, but at least he's a gentleman

iamthehoyden
11.23.2012 , 10:31 AM | #2244
Mags, Corso is so CUTE, just so dang cute lol

Also! Stats on kissing - also cute (Must go write more Jorgan kisses.)
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
11.23.2012 , 10:40 AM | #2245
Also, whilst indexing our 599 stories I realized I've missed a ton of reaction shots that oughta be out there.

@Irrissa, I love the contrast between Randall's charge and Minalde's careful preparation in the Flesh Raider piece. I also like that we now all know one of the poor padawans who got locked up for that quest.

@Fino,
Quote:
[Ald] was always at ease around him. It put him on edge.
That sentiment is so very Quinn.

@Striges, I missed Varrel in my enthusiasm over Andalar's foresight in the Kirya story that immediately followed it. The clean deliberate way Varrel links things back to first principles...I find it very pleasing. Well done as always.

@Magdalane, I could hear Corso's anguish talking to Torchy. Poor guy!

@thatghost, a belated welcome to the thread! I appear to have raved about your story elsewhere but not where you can actually see. You have lovely descriptions of Belsavis and some wonderful, perfectly in-character challenges on Lord Scourge's part. I'm a member of the Scourge fan club, so yes, I liked this very much

@Svein, d'aw is what I have to say for Corso's concern for Mila. I can really see him agonizing over looking after a smuggler who is inclined toward overindulgence. Elsewhere, I love Aron's welcome to Tython - but only because of Mira. And then Mira and Mila have such career differences...I'm glad they can get together for special occasions.

@iamthehoyden, I just feel I should reiterate my love of Solomon Crae's perspective, the models he links reality to, the senses he emphasizes in perceiving the world, all of it.

@Earthmama, did I also fail to mention how much I love Kaliyo? And am not surprised that one thing would lead to another with anybody willing to take in some drinks with her? The Tatooine heat was perfect.

@LogicLoup, I very much liked the way the three 0 ATC stories interlocked. I was right there with Maneera's surprise at Conor's kindness. Wonderful.

Further thread tidbits: We've killed Quinn five times, though not all were real/permanent; Vector twice; Pierce and Skadge once each. We have also actually come to blows with Kira, Scourge, Khem Val, Gault, Corso, Risha (slapping/hair-pulilng only), Kaliyo, Ensign Temple, 2V-R8, Dorne, and Vette.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

bright_ephemera
11.23.2012 , 07:39 PM | #2246
Posting prompts for now. Feel better soon, elliotcat!

Week of 11/22/12
Home Ec - Our ships and everyday living arrangements have to keep running somehow. Maybe a slave or ship's droid handles it all for you; maybe...not so much. How do your characters manage cooking, cleaning, budgeting, ship maintenance, appliance repair, and more?
Do the Math - On a more abstract level, tons of things in life can be reduced to, or perhaps just unhelpfully compared to, the math that rules our worlds. Write about your characters or things in their lives adding, subtracting, dividing, or multiplying. Or do they ever have to integrate? Or deal with binary logic? Or try to keep a limit on their eccentricity? Or handle something that's just...odd? Write about it! (Somewhat off-the-wall, but I hope y'all find something fun to play with in there, not necessarily strictly math-rigorous!)

(EDIT: Incidentally, and I think this is the last of my data-crunching for now, I have numbers on the species of our protagonists! Who I counted vs. didn't was kind of arbitrary; generally if s/he was an in-game character or had at least one whole story with her/him as the center I counted her/him, but strict supporters such as Striges' Sal or kabeone's Kel Dor Master Xin didn't make the cut.)
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Striges
11.23.2012 , 10:27 PM | #2247
@ Irrissa: I liked the contrast in approaches: Dashing out into the middle versus thoughtful preparation. And how one of the Padawans got captured. I will not play through there the same way again. Nice.

@ Magdalane: Loved Corso torn between biology and brain, and his cold shower being mental overview of weapon schematics. So very Corso, both aspects.

@ Bright: Stats glorious stats! *Cue Broadway musical dance scene* Varrel’s story for Pride was weak; I didn’t do a good job showing his internal state and thoughts. It ended up illustrating the proverb ‘Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill’…except it played out more at old age, treachery, and skill will beat youth and arrogance. Which was still fun, but not quite what I wanted. Oh well.

So hey, late again, I’ll submit this one. I take too long in editing.

Varrel Umrahiel (SW) and DS Jaesa, Lust.

(What do you expect from the writer/player of one of the more promiscuous characters, and the only person in the entire thread thus far to imply a threesome?)

Chronology: Closest match is from the “What If?” prompt, The New Wrath. This short occurs before the canon version of the Quesh incident, during Hoth, though I have no other Varrel stories set in that timeframe yet. Spoilers for DS Jaesa companion quests. Sort of. Hard to miss with that title. 830 words. This was supposed to be short.

So, with Lust as the prompt, and DS Jaesa involved, I don’t know that it's necessary to have a content warning, but here it is:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Magdalane
11.24.2012 , 07:25 AM | #2248
Striges, I've not played the SW, so just going from what I've read and seen here, but it's always been my opinion that Jaesa is obsessive, good or bad. So it didn't surprise me that she'd fixate on Varrel and not be able to see anyone else. I thought the references to "teaching' her were ironic, I have the feeling she's a lot further along the dark side scale than even Varrel realizes.
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Earthmama
11.24.2012 , 07:33 AM | #2249
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
Varrel Umrahiel (SW) and DS Jaesa, Lust.

(What do you expect from the writer/player of one of the more promiscuous characters, and the only person in the entire thread thus far to imply a threesome?)

Chronology: Closest match is from the “What If?” prompt, The New Wrath. This short occurs before the canon version of the Quesh incident, during Hoth, though I have no other Varrel stories set in that timeframe yet. Spoilers for DS Jaesa companion quests. Sort of. Hard to miss with that title. 830 words. This was supposed to be short.

So, with Lust as the prompt, and DS Jaesa involved, I don’t know that it's necessary to have a content warning, but here it is:
Spoiler

Spoiler
I know most people hate DS Jaesa, but I think she's kind of crazy wonderful and hilarious, I especially like your version of her.....also that was sexy!

irishfino
11.24.2012 , 01:03 PM | #2250
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
@ Irishfino: Fun drabbles.
Thank you.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
@irishfino, the games. Quinn's stuffy pride. And Vette losing, not at one of the games. Pierce's rage. All of it. <3 As for later, well, I can't be the only person who has wondered just how sturdy those conference tables are.
Silly/serious is the way of Ald and the drabbles must reflect this. Always. Forever![getdown]

Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
@ irishinfo, loved the drabbles
Thank you

Quote: Originally Posted by Earthmama View Post
@Fino, The drabbles were wonderful! I'm loving getting to know Ald!
Thank you, thank you. Ald loves showing off, so he'll be around a lot more.

Quote: Originally Posted by Irrissa View Post

Fino - love your drabbles.
Thank you.

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
A
@Fino,
Quote:
[Ald] was always at ease around him. It put him on edge.
That sentiment is so very Quinn.
It's hard to capture Quinn and his... Quinn-ness. I'm glad I'm able to get some of it across. The man is a bear to write.

Thanks for reading everyone.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!