Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Revisiting An in-depth look at: Revan

spencer_'s Avatar


spencer_
11.21.2012 , 01:54 AM | #241
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Brilliant, just brilliant. I think that ends this debate. Revan is an unknown.
I agree. And for as much information as possible, it should stay that way.

On a related note my head-canon for Revan has always been thus:

Revan mastered both sides of the Force as a result of ascending to mastery first as Darth Revan, then as amnesiac Revan. However, when he regained his memories (and mastery), it came at a terrible cost. Revan's duality has resulted in serious mental instability (which we see in SWTOR's flashpoints) which gives him dark side leanings, and a lack of personal control. He may be a master of the techniques, but he has a lot of difficulty applying it in any meaningful way.

As for his tactical abilties, he was never anywhere near Thrawn's level, but was very good at a few things that make him look way better than he really was. He was a good leader, who delegated relevant responsibilities to those who could best handle the. He was ruthless, sacrificing worlds to take whole sectors. And finally, he played the long game. He had a goal, and he pushed towards it. G0-T0 noted that Revan consistently fought the Republic while preserving its infrastructure. If he wins, he controls a mighty Republic backed up by the Star Forge. If he loses, the Republic is now united, wary of invasion, and still has a military industrial complex intact.

As for using both sides of the Force at the same time, I do agree with the fact that it shouldn't be possible (considering they both require opposite mental states), and that it is much more likely that he achieved oneness with the Force, expressing it in its purest form. The description was pretty similar to Jacen's experience. I think the problem most people have is with the "twin rivers" description, but that could have simply been a description applied by fallible witnesses who didn't understand what they were seeing. A unified Force expression could in fact feel that way to someone trained to think of it that way.

But that's the great thing about head-canon. H-canon is always going to be above G-canon from a personal perspective, and Revan just happens to be a lot more moldable than the average Star Wars character.

SoonerJBD's Avatar


SoonerJBD
11.21.2012 , 07:01 PM | #242
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Good thing you got to it first. I had to re-read that post a couple times.

As to Revan mastering any Lightsaber forms. Because there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim, we can only assume that he did not. We know that we was skilled with a lightsaber, but we can't say that he mastered any of the forms.
See, here is my problem. Why can we only assume he didn't master a lightsaber form? We have no information on this either way. Given his skill as a duelist, it is perfectly legitimate to assume he did. Either assumption is completely valid.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.21.2012 , 08:41 PM | #243
Quote: Originally Posted by SoonerJBD View Post
See, here is my problem. Why can we only assume he didn't master a lightsaber form? We have no information on this either way. Given his skill as a duelist, it is perfectly legitimate to assume he did. Either assumption is completely valid.
Yup. That's what I've been saying.

steaktrooper's Avatar


steaktrooper
11.22.2012 , 08:04 PM | #244
Please let this debate be over, and let Aurbere return to making his wonderful in-depth look at threads
Lembar Romdoro Agenros Cavteff
Sith Covenant / Jedi Covenant @ The Harbinger

anairien's Avatar


anairien
11.22.2012 , 08:12 PM | #245
everything about this thread is bad and aurbere should be sanctioned for obvious baiting tbh.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.23.2012 , 01:35 AM | #246
Quote: Originally Posted by anairien View Post
everything about this thread is bad and aurbere should be sanctioned for obvious baiting tbh.
I disagree, this thread made me reconsider Thrawn vs Revan as a Kaggath match, lol.

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.23.2012 , 07:19 AM | #247
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I disagree, this thread made me reconsider Thrawn vs Revan as a Kaggath match, lol.
Well I'm glad that we made you reconsider Revan, but even I know that Thrawn is THE best tactical genius. However, I don't really know who else their is to take on Thrawn, so perhaps this will be interesting.

But yeah, Revan is also a great strategist, he's just not Thrawn.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.23.2012 , 10:05 AM | #248
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
Well I'm glad that we made you reconsider Revan, but even I know that Thrawn is THE best tactical genius. However, I don't really know who else their is to take on Thrawn, so perhaps this will be interesting.

But yeah, Revan is also a great strategist, he's just not Thrawn.
I want to include him, but I can't come up with a match - suggestions are welcome!

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
11.23.2012 , 10:11 AM | #249
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I want to include him, but I can't come up with a match - suggestions are welcome!
Don't get me wrong - Revan is a great strategist! All I was saying is that Thrawn just seems to find a way to beat ANYBODY. But I honestly think that Revan will make a great opponent for Thrawn.

Here's an idea: you could have Thrawn vs. Revan AND somebody else. Like maybe the exile? Or Saul Karath? Perhaps that would make the fight more fair. It's just an idea. However I still like the idea of comparing 1 person to 1 other person. 2 on 1 just isn't as epic.

-Star-Scream-'s Avatar


-Star-Scream-
01.02.2013 , 11:05 AM | #250
This is me just asking a serious question on the topic of Revan and his "mastery" of the force. But wasn't he the one to come up with the force superweapon that is the Thought Bomb? Didn't Bane learn it from Revan's holocron?