Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Who ever at Bioware is in charge of the Merc class is doing a horrible job.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Who ever at Bioware is in charge of the Merc class is doing a horrible job.

TerraZero
10.17.2012 , 06:39 PM | #21
I rarely ever QQ about balancing, but this is too much.

This class is flawed beyond belief and a complete joke in PvP. As it stands now, they're almost just free kills. I'm not wanted anywhere as Dps. Sure, I could just roll a Sniper, but I'm far done with rerolling..
Sorry, but with these kind of stupid *** balance choices BW tend to make, I can understand why people want to leave. Good luck ruining your own freakin' game..

Technohic
10.18.2012 , 07:24 AM | #22
And what is with my cyborg-bunny-slippers I got for BM boots? Got them before going to Corella and didn't notice until I got to a cut scene and was like "***?!"

Onymus
10.18.2012 , 09:30 AM | #23
I have a 50 merc pyro. I have been playing as pyro for a long time and I do have a lot of fun at it. that being said I have found that mercs are amazingly squishy in pvp. If I stand and fight 1v1 I will be dead in seconds. I have learned to LOS and at times retreat behind other players for a couple seconds until they switch targets. Yes I would love to stand toe to toe with someone and beat them down but the merc is simply not built for that. I do regularly score over 300k damage in warzones and that is mostly because I concentrate on staying alive, breaking LOS, and self-healing. The current state of the merc is to engage and stay at max range then kite to stay alive. If you don't like that play style then roll a powertech or better yet a juggernaught.

The issue I think most merc players have is that we see all the other classes able to fight and survive longer than 6 seconds when they get targeted. Mercs have next to no damage mitigation abilities. We also only have one heal that is instant cast if we are not a bodyguard and it is a HoT. This means that we are susceptable to burst damage. PvP is the home of huge burst damage. Once we get targeted and get hit by our first burst damage you can try popping the HoT and channeling a heal but by then pushback or an interrupt will have you dead in seconds. I don't think the devs are going to change the way this class plays.

As a merc I try and move in a group. Then try to avoid getting targeted by knowing your terrain and breaking LOS. Self-heal when you break LOS. If there is a melee that is locked on to you there is not a whole lot you can do right now. Hopefully you can burst damage them and throw some DoTs on them before they kill you. I have been in plenty of fights where a melee has jumped on me and I throw all my DoTs on him before he kills me. Then I watch him drop dead from my DoTs a couple seconds afterwards. It does take the sting out of getting stomped in 6 seconds flat but not much.

I hope that bioware pays attention to this thread. I think there are a lot of players that really like playing mercs but are frustrated. I don't know what the solution is. I suggest some more damage mitigation, either passive or by an ability on cooldown. We are wearing heavy armor but seem to be the class that can be killed the quickest. (I know that armor rating in PvP doesn't matter)

Onymus
10.18.2012 , 10:26 AM | #24
Any support out there for giving jet boost a 3 second speed buff like force speed? You could decide to use it for the speed or the knockback or both. Giving it a short duration hopefully would not destroy balance. Having a speed boost would further reinforce the ranged aspect of the merc.

Xethis
10.26.2012 , 01:49 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Onymus View Post
Any support out there for giving jet boost a 3 second speed buff like force speed? You could decide to use it for the speed or the knockback or both. Giving it a short duration hopefully would not destroy balance. Having a speed boost would further reinforce the ranged aspect of the merc.
I agree, the speed boost works wonders for the sorc, and if the sorc did not have Force Speed then their bubble and knock back would be for nothing. I don't think giving us a defensive cool down would be the answer either, it just delays the inevitable. We either need a sprint of some kind or a disengage similar to the hunters in WoW. This will get us the distance we need to keep melee at bay.

Macroecon
10.27.2012 , 05:10 PM | #26
I've said this before, but.....BW simply doesn't believe that Merc dps are weak. In fact every metric BW uses shows Merc dps are overpowered.

How can this happen, you say? It's simple. Virtually no one plays Merc dps anymore. On my server I am the sole Merc dps left that anyone will take on a ranked wz team. And I can go an entire week in normal wz without seeing a Merc dps. So virtually the entire meta average productivity of Merc dps on my server comes from me. And 90% of the matches I am the high dps on my team. I am imagine that things are similar on other servers. The only people left playing Merc dps in PvP are the most skilled, most geared, most determined players. So when BW looks at their weekly meta average numbers, they see maybe 80 matches played by Merc dps on my server, and the average productivity is FAR HIGHER than that for any other subclass.

The problem of course is that BW's meta average metrics do not control for player skill/quality. So they will continue to nerf Merc dps until the very best Merc dps players have productivity equal to that of the average, undergeared noobs playing the FotM. This is exactly what we have seen for the last six months.

More fundamentally, even if player skill were controlled for, the use of dps/healing/protection metrics to measure class effectiveness is FLAWED. On my Merc dps, I am never used as a solo node guard, because Merc dps sucks against every other subclass. What is the most popular subclass to use as a solo node guard? Assassin tanks. So because they spend so much time on guard duty, their meta average metrics are lower. BW sees this and incorrectly believes they need a buff. Hence Assassins get buffed in 1.4. Doh.

Nor do dps/healing/protection metrics take into account class utility. The ability of stealth classes to exit combat when a defended node is being overrun, and then reappear to stop a cap 8 seconds later is of incalculable value. But it doesn't appear in BW's meta average metrics. Similarly the ability of various classes to pull enemies, jump to friendlies in Huttball, etc. all add *UTILITY* to their team and are ignored by BW's evaluation system. All those classes provide benefits that BW does not account for, while low utility classes have their effectiveness overrated by BW. And which subclass has the LOWEST utility in the game? Merc dps of course.

BW's ingame statistics collection system was revolutionary for MMOs. But unfortunately, the human interpretation of these statistics was flawed and lagging. That is why Merc dps sucks. My Marauder in full Recruit gear scored as high as my Merc in full WH. But BW doesn't see that and doesn't understand why that occurs.That is why Merc dps will always suck.

xxIncubixx
10.29.2012 , 09:51 AM | #27
bump for greater justice.

deucexmachina
11.05.2012 , 01:57 PM | #28
To the OP:

/SIGNED
Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

phat_maban
11.12.2012 , 07:01 AM | #29
Yep fix pvp for mercs it is broken and as everyone has said we get focused and we are super squishy
Maban - Doubtvilified - Madras - Uglybabyeater
Midian

DkSharktooth
11.22.2012 , 09:03 PM | #30
Once a class hits rock bottom, all you can do is go up from there. 1st step they should take is revert all the nerfs, then add more buffs. The nerfs were never justified, including the accuracy 3% nerf, rocketpunch knockback, jetboost cooldown increase, and crit talent nerf by 3%, adding heat cost to kolto shell, nerfing supercharged gass, and others. All the changes need to just be un-nerfed, the class was bad back then and is just broken now.