Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
[Guide] Patch 1.3 (PvE|PvP) Talent Specs For Mercs

DkSharktooth
11.07.2012 , 07:15 PM | #41
UPDATED FOR PATCH 1.4!

Enjoy (:

Phasersablaze
11.08.2012 , 08:49 AM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
UPDATED FOR PATCH 1.4!

Enjoy (:
Nice Skillex. I have been running what you call "double-dipping alacrity" since 1.3. Since the GCD is 1.5 and activation time of Tracer is 1.4 with this build, I'm guessing this just help for unload right? Or is there something I'm missing? There wasn't anything fantastic to put points into anyway, so I thought I'd stick them into alacrity.

DkSharktooth
11.08.2012 , 10:22 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
Nice Skillex. I have been running what you call "double-dipping alacrity" since 1.3. Since the GCD is 1.5 and activation time of Tracer is 1.4 with this build, I'm guessing this just help for unload right? Or is there something I'm missing? There wasn't anything fantastic to put points into anyway, so I thought I'd stick them into alacrity.
TL;DR it's a minor dps increase to pick up the alacrity talents, your dps will go up, other talent's will not allow for an increase in dps.

JimmyTheCannon
11.09.2012 , 02:34 AM | #44
Actually, anything with a cast time shorter than the GCD does still cast at the speed it indicates without triggering it. Only instants trigger the GCD.

So yes, with 1.4 second tracer missiles, you're casting faster than you'd be able to spam instants.

DkSharktooth
11.13.2012 , 04:14 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by Canis_Anubis View Post
I'll support Assassin's call for including Stabilizers in non-Arsenal builds. Don't get me wrong, 3% crit chance is nice, but 75% pushback resistance for power shot will outperform it in any non-targeting-dummy scenario.
I disagree with this statement. I only cast powershot when at ranged distance, that way you can get around having to talent 3 points into stabilizers. You shouldn't ever be face tanking a melee, always kite, dot, run run run

DaltarSpitfire
11.13.2012 , 04:30 PM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Actually, anything with a cast time shorter than the GCD does still cast at the speed it indicates without triggering it. Only instants trigger the GCD.

So yes, with 1.4 second tracer missiles, you're casting faster than you'd be able to spam instants.
if your casting at 1.4 second speed...and lets say you hit your target for a 3.8k crit. but they hit you with two instants before you finish casting and each hits you between 1.6k - 4k then your not casting faster....

unless i misunderstand your statement.
Through Fire, Wind and Rain, I've Stood my Ground, For Ages Untold I Stood Alone, Ere The Sun Shone, When This World Was Dark and Cold, I Stood Alone, The Earth Turns, The Wind Fades, And Rain Falls, Yet Still I Stand Alone. I am Spitfire Falcon, Last of My Clan, Dark Lord of Naritus.

JimmyTheCannon
11.13.2012 , 07:09 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by DaltarSpitfire View Post
if your casting at 1.4 second speed...and lets say you hit your target for a 3.8k crit. but they hit you with two instants before you finish casting and each hits you between 1.6k - 4k then your not casting faster....

unless i misunderstand your statement.
Never said you're DPSing faster than someone who can spam instants if your Alacrity shortens your casts below 1.5. Simply that it doesn't trigger the GCD.

That said, I don't see your math adding up. If you start a 1.4 second cast at the same time that the other guy hits his instant, your cast will finish before he can hit a second instant. From the moment he hits his first instant he's got 1.5 seconds before another one can go off - you've got 1.4, so your cast for that 3.8k finishes before he hits you for a second 1.6k - 4k.

Granted, that second instant will hit before you get your second cast finished. In the long run, the .1 second off each cast *will* make a difference over spamming instants. Whether you live long enough for that to matter? that's another story altogether.

I'm not advocating stacking a lot of alacrity on an Arsenal Merc. But that little bit from the two Alacrity talents *does* increase your straight DPS. If you're speccing for PVP, though, there's probably better options.

DaltarSpitfire
11.14.2012 , 07:34 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyTheCannon View Post
Never said you're DPSing faster than someone who can spam instants if your Alacrity shortens your casts below 1.5. Simply that it doesn't trigger the GCD.

That said, I don't see your math adding up. If you start a 1.4 second cast at the same time that the other guy hits his instant, your cast will finish before he can hit a second instant. From the moment he hits his first instant he's got 1.5 seconds before another one can go off - you've got 1.4, so your cast for that 3.8k finishes before he hits you for a second 1.6k - 4k.

Granted, that second instant will hit before you get your second cast finished. In the long run, the .1 second off each cast *will* make a difference over spamming instants. Whether you live long enough for that to matter? that's another story altogether.

I'm not advocating stacking a lot of alacrity on an Arsenal Merc. But that little bit from the two Alacrity talents *does* increase your straight DPS. If you're speccing for PVP, though, there's probably better options.
ah... I misunderstood that the GCD was 1.5.. been playing multi MMOs way to long...most of the GCDs are 1 second...not 1.5. i feel smart now
Through Fire, Wind and Rain, I've Stood my Ground, For Ages Untold I Stood Alone, Ere The Sun Shone, When This World Was Dark and Cold, I Stood Alone, The Earth Turns, The Wind Fades, And Rain Falls, Yet Still I Stand Alone. I am Spitfire Falcon, Last of My Clan, Dark Lord of Naritus.

DkSharktooth
11.19.2012 , 12:12 PM | #49
All Specs are viable for current patch 1.5

DkSharktooth
11.22.2012 , 01:23 PM | #50
Updates:
  1. Added a new pyro pvp 1v1 spec.
  2. Added a new pro tip.
  • Pro Tip: Since respecs are now FREE. Before the warzone, duel, 1v1, or open world pvp starts, spec into the bodygaurd tree to get kolto shell and apply it to yourself, then respec again back to your main dps spec. The shell will heal for about 4k over 10 ticks if you are full warhero. Enjoy the tip :P

P.S. Please Vote this thread 5 Stars if it helped you. Thanks!