Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

F2P won't save anything. Content will.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
F2P won't save anything. Content will.

LordArtemis
11.22.2012 , 12:23 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Upright View Post
The gamers here need to realize something. F2P is for the shareholders, not the community.

F2P is not a magic wand that automatically adds more and better content.
F2P does not equal interesting and engaging story.
F2P does not fix bugs.

F2P will not save TOR if EA/Bioware do not overhaul the game's direction and end game content. You know, the stuff that was so boring and redundant that enough of the player base left and EA felt the need to change the pay model 6 months after launch. I hope that they realize F2P won't make people spend money - a good and fun game makes people spend money. Here's to hoping.
Your speaking to the gamers here? I would think you want to speak to Bioware. Telling gamers how they should feel, apparently so they will not longer support or compliment free to play seems to be a counterproductive activity at best.

I think its likely folks can make up their own minds as to what F2P means to them and this game overall.

You make a few good points certainly...but dispense with the propaganda. You can tell folks why you dont like the current system, but please avoid trying to tell others how they should feel.

xMaris
11.22.2012 , 12:23 AM | #12
I think a lot of people are missing the point of making SW:TOR go F2P.

In Bioware's perspective, I think it might get a a lot of people who were interested in the game previously but didn't want to spend the initial $20-$50 dollars to buy the game on top of the subscription. For me personally, this was the case. I played F2P to play it a bit, once I got comfortable and started to enjoy it I became a subscriber in a heartbeat, and I do not regret it at all.

I can see where a lot of level 50 and veterans may get bored about it, but if you haven't level 50'd every class then you're still missing a good chunk of content.

Skyrison
11.22.2012 , 12:35 AM | #13
Well this is what I think BIoWare's plan is for f2p.

Get f2p to attract new people, get the servers heavy and full again then BAM keep up the content updates. Then, when you think that patch was it BAM they hit you with another patch then...BAM another one. I think f2p was the start of something new in this game's future. More regular updates to keep people happy.

That is how I think they will do it
Legacy of the Eternal

davidpop
11.22.2012 , 01:17 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
A new type of content.

I wonder why they haven't done something like squad based missions. The one thing that SW:TOR has that WoW doesn't, is the unique companion system. If they created a new type of content, one that involves all of your squad mates Mass Effect style, it should be a nice new content to play.

It will boost the economy because now you have to buy gear for all of your companions.

It should be nice content for solo players.
The last thing this game needs, is more single player content...

Soluss
11.22.2012 , 01:29 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by xMaris View Post
I think a lot of people are missing the point of making SW:TOR go F2P.

In Bioware's perspective, I think it might get a a lot of people who were interested in the game previously but didn't want to spend the initial $20-$50 dollars to buy the game on top of the subscription. For me personally, this was the case. I played F2P to play it a bit, once I got comfortable and started to enjoy it I became a subscriber in a heartbeat, and I do not regret it at all.

I can see where a lot of level 50 and veterans may get bored about it, but if you haven't level 50'd every class then you're still missing a good chunk of content.
Youre not missing much content by not having every class to level 50. You are new so you dont understand the illusion of new content per class. You see, once you get higher level, the story quests start to go away. You might get 4 or 5 uniques story quests per planet to the 50 or 60 repeated quests per planet. You will do the same 100's of hours quests over and over and over ad nausium just to see 10 minutes worth of unique story. Once you get your first level 50 and start playing alts, youll understand what im talking about.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Soluss
11.22.2012 , 01:31 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyrison View Post

Get f2p to attract new people, get the servers heavy and full again then BAM keep up the content updates. Then, when you think that patch was it BAM they hit you with another patch then...BAM another one. I think f2p was the start of something new in this game's future. More regular updates to keep people happy.

I think thats how it will work for the first few months because they have saved up content during that 6 months of not getting any content. After that runs out it will start to turn more towards... BAM new cash shop items... BAM more new cash shop items... BAM a very small piece of content to throw you a bone... BAM more new cash shop items
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

ConradLionhart
11.22.2012 , 01:35 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Skyrison View Post

Hopefully that's true. There is someone here obnoxiously quoting a developer that said there would be monthly updates, but it never happened.

I feel the devs are still figuring out how to run a MMO. We still don't have speech bubbles and can't sit on chairs.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

Soluss
11.22.2012 , 01:49 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by ConradLionhart View Post
Hopefully that's true. There is someone here obnoxiously quoting a developer that said there would be monthly updates, but it never happened.

I feel the devs are still figuring out how to run a MMO. We still don't have speech bubbles and can't sit on chairs.
Yeah, you can view it in my sig right above you... Now below you as well

Take a good look at it. That was about 10 months ago. Have you seen ANY of that happen? Have you seen so many changes? Have you seen so many additions? Has it been impressive? Has it every been month after month after month?

10 months ago

Laris_Rai
11.22.2012 , 01:51 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
You talk as if the developers abandoned a village in an earthquake zone.

Let them celebrate syphilis infested blankets and genocide with their families, jeez.
The blankets had *smallpox*.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson

WhillB
11.22.2012 , 01:58 AM | #20
I think the FTP model was not properly thought out. They pretty much gave the game away for free. Instead of a few restrictions, there should have been a lvl cap on ftp with an open game up to a point. That way, people could get an idea what the game was. Kinda like a good book that has only the 1st few chapters then suddenly stops... You will wanna read on once your hooked,

On a side note; PLAESE put chat bubbles in. There is no community here because of the lack of easy communication. An mmo without players that can interact with each other is not an mmo.