Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

F2P won't save anything. Content will.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
F2P won't save anything. Content will.

Upright's Avatar


Upright
11.21.2012 , 10:16 PM | #1
The gamers here need to realize something. F2P is for the shareholders, not the community.

F2P is not a magic wand that automatically adds more and better content.
F2P does not equal interesting and engaging story.
F2P does not fix bugs.

F2P will not save TOR if EA/Bioware do not overhaul the game's direction and end game content. You know, the stuff that was so boring and redundant that enough of the player base left and EA felt the need to change the pay model 6 months after launch. I hope that they realize F2P won't make people spend money - a good and fun game makes people spend money. Here's to hoping.

Kaonis's Avatar


Kaonis
11.21.2012 , 10:38 PM | #2
I agree fully. F2P is just a cheap way for EA/BW to milk people for money before the game dies off completely, that's all it is. Successful games don't go F2P within a year of release, only the games that failed do this.

The game has a ton of issues, and instead of devoting resources to fixing those issues (bugs, lack of content, core gameplay issues), they spent time on setting up F2P, because even they understand what a disaster this is and are trying to grab at what ever cash they can get before the end.

ConradLionhart's Avatar


ConradLionhart
11.21.2012 , 10:54 PM | #3
A new type of content.

I wonder why they haven't done something like squad based missions. The one thing that SW:TOR has that WoW doesn't, is the unique companion system. If they created a new type of content, one that involves all of your squad mates Mass Effect style, it should be a nice new content to play.

It will boost the economy because now you have to buy gear for all of your companions.

It should be nice content for solo players.
Level 50 Jedi Guardian

Expanded Companion System
http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...6&postcount=28

Xargyn's Avatar


Xargyn
11.21.2012 , 10:54 PM | #4
There have been studies on this, because MMOs are about making a profit. And no matter what MMO you look at, only a minority of players ever take part in end game. The largest majority of players reach max level and then roll another character.

The players that quit because there's "nothing to do at endgame" are the ones that only come back for an expansion and then quit again once they complete that stage. They move from game to game like locusts. There's nothing any MMO developer can do to keep them around because they'll always be able to complete the new content faster than anybody can program it.
CE VIP Remember when this was a big deal?

Upright's Avatar


Upright
11.21.2012 , 11:18 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Xargyn View Post
The players that quit because there's "nothing to do at endgame" are the ones that only come back for an expansion and then quit again once they complete that stage. They move from game to game like locusts. There's nothing any MMO developer can do to keep them around because they'll always be able to complete the new content faster than anybody can program it.
There have been games over the last 12 years that have held my interest for a year or more at a time. Most of those I've revisited for extended periods as well. It is possible. It also had nothing to do with pay model.

The days of buggy and lag ridden 2 or 3 hour raids being acceptable have been over for a long time. TOR is proving that even as we type. I hope that they change more than just the billing style.

Temad's Avatar


Temad
11.21.2012 , 11:26 PM | #6
Any company that releases a bug filled Cash Store 2 days before a major holiday week and then shuts down shop leaving people to suffer the bugs for a week or more....

Well, if you think this game is going to be around for another year...I have a bridge to sell you.

Stick a fork in SWTOR...may the third time be the charm.
This is my signature.

Jandi's Avatar


Jandi
11.21.2012 , 11:33 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Temad View Post
Any company that releases a bug filled Cash Store 2 days before a major holiday week and then shuts down shop leaving people to suffer the bugs for a week or more....

Well, if you think this game is going to be around for another year...I have a bridge to sell you.

Stick a fork in SWTOR...may the third time be the charm.
You talk as if the developers abandoned a village in an earthquake zone.

Let them celebrate syphilis infested blankets and genocide with their families, jeez.
Those that demand respect deserve only pity.

arunav's Avatar


arunav
11.21.2012 , 11:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaonis View Post
I agree fully. F2P is just a cheap way for EA/BW to milk people for money before the game dies off completely, that's all it is. Successful games don't go F2P within a year of release, only the games that failed do this.

The game has a ton of issues, and instead of devoting resources to fixing those issues (bugs, lack of content, core gameplay issues), they spent time on setting up F2P, because even they understand what a disaster this is and are trying to grab at what ever cash they can get before the end.
I was holding out hope, but what I've witnessed in the past two patches and what F2P is, I think you correct.

There will be content released that was held back and/or significantly in the works already, but that's about it. It may even be enough to keep the game going for another year, but this game is just about brain dead.

Vellem's Avatar


Vellem
11.21.2012 , 11:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Upright View Post
The gamers here need to realize something. F2P is for the shareholders, not the community.

F2P is not a magic wand that automatically adds more and better content.
F2P does not equal interesting and engaging story.
F2P does not fix bugs.

F2P will not save TOR if EA/Bioware do not overhaul the game's direction and end game content. You know, the stuff that was so boring and redundant that enough of the player base left and EA felt the need to change the pay model 6 months after launch. I hope that they realize F2P won't make people spend money - a good and fun game makes people spend money. Here's to hoping.
When you read about people on these forums and seeing people in game talking about how they spend a years worth of subscription fees in one single day to sit there and open up gambling boxes just for a 0.5% or maybe 1% chance of getting something that they want (on top of the sub some of them are already paying for.) you realize with depressing certainty that F2P actually does make people spend money. Quite a lot in fact.

It is true, as has been proven in other games that have switched to a hybrid f2p mode, that this initial surge will level off at some point. That is when you will see the content. And by content I mean things that were designed to be sold in the store as well. Sure, they will have to add more instances and things to keep playing but most of the focus will be coming up with ways to make people buy stuff in the store since that will be a main source of revenue for them.

Sadly, F2P players are not endgame players and I have a hunch that the end game that is lacking now will only continue to do so in the future. The aren't going to devote lots of money and man hours on it because it won't return as much on their investment than if they came up with another absurd looking speeder to get people to buy even more gambling packs.

F2P is all about player churn, not player retention. Get a player in the door and get him to spend half a year or a years worth of a subscription fess in the store during the couple of months they play the game before they move on to the next one. Then wash, rinse, repeat over and over again with each new customer.

So, I know you are hoping, just don't get your hopes up too high is all I guess I'm trying to say.

tolaf's Avatar


tolaf
11.21.2012 , 11:50 PM | #10
out SWTOR is that now that there is a cash shop all time and resources will be devoted to it, and the game will never get better as hoped.
Ironically because of this new cash shop and the fools willing to soend so much money in it, it seems SWTOR will never die so someone else can have a chance at making a good Star Wars MMO.
Dark Nova leader of the Sin-gie clan