Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP: Gear or Skill?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP: Gear or Skill?

TrumpetNut
11.21.2012 , 10:04 PM | #1
I understand that people have been saying that the PvP is revolved purely around your gear, therefor the amount of time you can play (grind lol) for your expensive PvP gear. I personally think that yes it is really based on gear but with skill you can do really good. Back when i was level 11 I had trash for gear. terrible stats but I was able to get top damage and objectives nearly every round or I got 2nd to some level 48 lol. Every class can work with the right player and some skill. Yes the gear can make a large difference. Don't want to be a complete troll? Want to show serious skill? Walk into level 50 PvP with Recruit gear. I reccomend you play what class you want to. I played a mercenary and it was great in PvP even without just spamming tracer missle. Try any class then learn how to use it right. You won't get your key skills til' around 40. At 40 you can then understand your playstyle much, much better.

MidichIorian
11.21.2012 , 10:21 PM | #2
50 % class/spec
40 % skill
10 % gear

FourTwent
11.21.2012 , 10:24 PM | #3
Skill > Gear

dont be one of the QQ carebears that use gear as a crutch for their lack of skill

Solarenergy
11.21.2012 , 10:31 PM | #4
In under-50 warzones, gear matters a lot less than in the level 50 bracket. Hence, you can get great numbers at low level due to the bolster system. You can crit just as high as anyone else and you won't take more damage due to being a lower level because bolster equalizes the numbers. So you can go in there with any gear and still do very well. Of course, at lower levels, you only have your basic abilities, and therefore a level 45 will always have an advantage over a level 15, to use an example. In endgame PVP, yes gear is a big part of the equation. It would be a complete lie to say it isn't or to downplay it's importance. Fortunately, after 1.6, the gear gap will be smaller than ever. Finally people will be able to get a full set of War Hero gear in a short amount of time, and most will be able to have a good amount of WH gear right when they ding level 50 with increase in the comms cap.

QuietGoneJinn
11.21.2012 , 10:43 PM | #5
It's hilarious that some people cry "skill" and claim to be under-geared, yet when you inspect them they have the best possible gear imaginable.

Gear has a lot to do with it. Critical, surge, expertise, etc.

Of course you do need skill, but to completely ignore gear like it's a non-factor is just pure arrogance.

DarthSabreth
11.21.2012 , 11:22 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by TrumpetNut View Post
I understand that people have been saying that the PvP is revolved purely around your gear, therefor the amount of time you can play (grind lol) for your expensive PvP gear. I personally think that yes it is really based on gear but with skill you can do really good. Back when i was level 11 I had trash for gear. terrible stats but I was able to get top damage and objectives nearly every round or I got 2nd to some level 48 lol. Every class can work with the right player and some skill. Yes the gear can make a large difference. Don't want to be a complete troll? Want to show serious skill? Walk into level 50 PvP with Recruit gear. I reccomend you play what class you want to. I played a mercenary and it was great in PvP even without just spamming tracer missle. Try any class then learn how to use it right. You won't get your key skills til' around 40. At 40 you can then understand your playstyle much, much better.
OP patch 1.4 makes skill erelevant.

CC > than Skill and gear aids in how long you remained CC'ed before you die. the game was somewhat fine pre 1.4 but now its just a CC fest.
"I have brought peace, freedom, justice, and security to my new Empire!" Rip .

TrumpetNut
11.21.2012 , 11:43 PM | #7
Well just so that you know ima 50 now and I still get 1st or 2nd place on most warzones. Also im not being a persone using gear as an excuse XD dunno whre you came up with that fourtwent!

PoliteAssasin
11.21.2012 , 11:56 PM | #8
Always skill. Gear and Class will only get you so far.
D E M A V E N D O B E R Y N

kweassa
11.22.2012 , 12:00 AM | #9
Gear counts for constant effort to stay on highest levels of preparation for combat. It is the equivalent to daily training. Top level fighters constantly train rigorously to stay in top physical condition in terms of strength, stamina, willpower, focus, determination, etc etc..

In the end, gear has a top limit -- which means anyone can get there with enough time investment. People who invest more time and effort get there faster, people who cannot put up with the same effort get there slower, and people who are flat-out lazy never get there.

If you don't condition yourself to be at your best for the fight, then by all means, you deserve to lose. There's nothing unfair about this.

Preparation for combat is an integral part of PvP. Anyone who thinks otherwise are simply lazy people, constantly trying to come up with an excuse.
"90% of PvP complaints come from people that are thoroughly unqualified to comment about anything in the first place. Stop assuming that you are a good player, then an answer will come; why you die so often, why you are CCd so often, and why you complain about healers so often - You're simply a bad player. Harsh truth."

Hambunctious
11.22.2012 , 12:05 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
Skill > Gear

dont be one of the QQ carebears that use gear as a crutch for their lack of skill
LOL, you can't be serious. I don't care how "skilled" you think you are, you are not going beat anyone in full augmented, and itemized WH when you're in recruit, or stock BM gear. It's not going to happen even against an average player, unless they're afk.

How hard you hit, and how hard you get hit is based upon your, and your opponent's gear. That is a fact, and it cannot be disputed.

Are there OP specs? Yes there are, and better gear only enhances that issue.