Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Problem Resolved


UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
11.21.2012 , 02:52 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
The problem with that is I have no hard cc, I have played combat/carnage across 3 toons to 50 and fully geared since early access. I played it because it wasnt the fotm spec and because I LOVE the battlefield control you get with 3x3 second roots on seperate cooldowns. The change you suggest would only allow me to use 2 and be done for quite a bit of time.
That's exactly what crossed my mind about the root/snare resolve. Carnage offers some great crowd control as do some other specs, like either DPS sorc spec. It would make a sorcs life living hell.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
11.21.2012 , 02:53 PM | #12
I like the idea of making all stuns into channels ala force choke. that way, the stunner is limited in the dps he can uncork while you're sitting there helpless. however, the stealth classes (one more than the other atm) really do require the ability to dps a stunned target. and although I like this idea, I'm concerned that it will make healers nearly impossible to kill. I see a way around the first problem, but I don't see an immediate solution for the latter problem.

edit: i've already made my position on roots known. they ought to be affected by resolve - regardless of whether or not they build it. I don't mind being snared to infinitum. it sucks, but at least I'm moving. eating 3 stuns and then being rooted while someone caps an objective, however, is extremely frustrating and - obiviously imo - overkill. maybe turn a root into a snare if the person is enjoying his 4s of cc immunity? the immunity is incredibly short, given the amount of time one spends in stuns and mezzes. and you're almost always at a significant hp disadvantage at that point too. getting rooted on top of that is...well...overkill. it doesn't happen all the time, so i really don't understand what all the backlash is about, but w/e.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
11.21.2012 , 03:24 PM | #13
I'd be fine with most of your changes except for changing stuns to channeled. That would seriously screw over all ranged classes. I also don't support roots/snares being on or affected by resolve. The only way anyone gets chain rooted is when there is multiple people coordinating.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
11.21.2012 , 03:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
I'd be fine with most of your changes except for changing stuns to channeled. That would seriously screw over all ranged classes. I also don't support roots/snares being on or affected by resolve. The only way anyone gets chain rooted is when there is multiple people coordinating.
ok. but one person can stun 3 times (sin, op, just about anyone with grenades). then, once you're full resolve, here, have a root. luls

good point about ranged and stuns though. really can only do that to melee, and even then, it might make healers too hard to bring down.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Valentyna's Avatar


Valentyna
11.21.2012 , 03:49 PM | #15
Wow.
/Signed.

You ahve obviously put a lot of thought into this. the first suggestion in particular just makes so much sense it seems obvious in retrospect. I think this is the first time I've ever seen a suggestion that I actually wanted to see happen! Let's hope EA is listening.
"A woman came up to me and said, 'I'd like to poison your mind/
With wrong ideas that appeal to you, Though I am not unkind.'"

They Might Be Giants, "Whistling in the Dark".

Jadescythe's Avatar


Jadescythe
11.21.2012 , 06:14 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
I'd be fine with most of your changes except for changing stuns to channeled. That would seriously screw over all ranged classes. I also don't support roots/snares being on or affected by resolve. The only way anyone gets chain rooted is when there is multiple people coordinating.
Ranged classes will be tougher to handle with my ideas regarding hard stuns, but I think there are solutions. Depending on the class and ability they currently have, some hard stuns will just become a second mezz, others may be better off changed to a root (which will at least allow people to attack, even melee classes have some ranged abilities). I don't see why some ranged classes couldn't have a channeled stun, but I think these are far more effective for melee classes (mostly PT/VG here).

I don't think roots are on the top of my changes, but coupled with the amount of CC that people can be hit with, followed up by being rooted, it really makes players feel helpless. Perhaps the changes to resolve could alleviate some of this.
I have opinions and stuff

JackNader's Avatar


JackNader
11.21.2012 , 07:05 PM | #17
It's a very messy fix tbh.

The best way to fix the resolve system is to use a resolve over time mechanic. All stuns and roots abide by it. The amount of simultaneous stuns getting thrown at you doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is how long you are stunned for and what type of stun hits you.

Hard stuns fill the resolve bar very quickly... aka 4 - 5 seconds and your full resolved.
Mezzes fill the resolve bar at a slower rate.. aka 10 seconds full resolve.
Roots also fill the resolve bar at a slower rate.
Slows can't be added to a resolve table simply because classes like sin tank, pyro, sniper have offensive damage abilities that permanently slow the target. The result of adding them to the table would ensure players are running around full resolved all the time.

Once full resolved players get unstoppable. It's already in the game and it works! You can't be rooted, stunned or slowed while you have unstoppable. Any existing CC on you drops the moment you acquire unstoppable (effectively a cc break)

Resolve bar decays constantly. This forces players to stagger out their stuns or risk giving the player a full resolve bar in which he immediately loses all impairing effects and then gains immunity to them.

CC break fills resolve bar to full granting unstoppable.

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
11.21.2012 , 07:14 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
ok. but one person can stun 3 times (sin, op, just about anyone with grenades). then, once you're full resolve, here, have a root. luls

good point about ranged and stuns though. really can only do that to melee, and even then, it might make healers too hard to bring down.
sins and ops do not have 3 stuns.

Putting roots on resolve would make scoring in huttball too much of a luls. Its easy enough as it is for certain classes to score already.

Smashbrother's Avatar


Smashbrother
11.21.2012 , 07:19 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
Ranged classes will be tougher to handle with my ideas regarding hard stuns, but I think there are solutions. Depending on the class and ability they currently have, some hard stuns will just become a second mezz, others may be better off changed to a root (which will at least allow people to attack, even melee classes have some ranged abilities). I don't see why some ranged classes couldn't have a channeled stun, but I think these are far more effective for melee classes (mostly PT/VG here).
Do you play a ranged class? How are you going to kite effective if your stun is channeled and is 10m? What would be the point of using it since you're effectively self stunning yourself leaving you open for other melee to get within range to melt your face.

Quote:
I don't think roots are on the top of my changes, but coupled with the amount of CC that people can be hit with, followed up by being rooted, it really makes players feel helpless. Perhaps the changes to resolve could alleviate some of this.
Putting roots on resolve would complete screw the game's kiting/anti-kiting dynamics. No thanks.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
11.21.2012 , 07:41 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Smashbrother View Post
sins and ops do not have 3 stuns.

Putting roots on resolve would make scoring in huttball too much of a luls. Its easy enough as it is for certain classes to score already.
no but they can break combat and mezz or use their stun opener (only once per fight cuz of cd though; scrapper's cd is considerably shorter). ops don't even need to break combat. they can flash grenade.
meh
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.