Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Embarrassing Question

mikebevo
11.20.2012 , 12:59 PM | #11
Group Finder is fine 90% of the time, but an alternative is either join a guild or if you are in a guild tell an officer you want to run an Ops. We set up runs all the time in our guild for first timers. Way less frustrating especially if the guild know what they are doing. We often just run SM EV and SM KP back to back on alts with first timers. Hell on my alt they skipped SM and did HM EV and HM KP, she was geared less than you, but I had been through both many times on my main healer.

Nothing much against group finder, but a guild run is a safer run for a first timer (expect way less knowledge on your part), never seen anyone kicked from a guild run and you are more likely to get more gear from a guild run.

Quote: Originally Posted by CaptAnon View Post
What if you're new 50 in recruit gear?
To me it would depend on the rest of the group and your role while considering the rest of the group. However, if you were a guildmate, I would take you provided you at least had your matrix cube (I want to know you have at least put some effort into gear and not just expecting the group to carry you. The cube is easy and fast, but I can't believe how many new 50's don't take the 30mins to get it. )

Nydus
11.20.2012 , 01:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SPrime View Post
But I see no reason why you would be turned down other then people saying you shouldn't bring PvP gear to pve. But keep in mind these people have a sour taste in their mouths because pvpers get mad at them for showing up in a wz with all pve gear.
Ah, politics a surprising amount of politics I'm not aware of!

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

sankalp
11.20.2012 , 05:15 PM | #13
If you are the sort of person who will not ask questions for the fear of whatever(ppl shoutinga t u, laughing at you, being fools), read up on guides on the net. The starting ops ev/kp are so old that you can find comprehensive guides+ videos on all.

This will give you the mechanics and when people in the OP for example say "Click the left console" on EV, you know what they mean. learn the puzzle on both ev/kp, groups value those who know mechanics and puzzles.

As for full warhero gear, We cleared TFB HM with some people in some WH augmented gear. We are on last boss Nim EC and still have one of the DPS using some WH augmented gear. WH = BH easily. but as you have never done ops, dont try and stem into HM EC/TFB straight away.

The reason most people dont want to take someone who has never done content is because it takes ages to explain everything, and if you cause wipes they can cost someone decently geared arnd 5k a wipe.

Carrying a dps is easier than carrying a tank/heals, SO even if you are one of these classes, convert to DPS for first few runs.

Next time someone asks for a DPS, reply with I am new to running ops but have a full aug WH gear and know most fights, except boss X for example.

Also, Learn the first 2 boss fights, mechanics etc asap. Once you know that you have to stay still for bonethrasher and run and stand in the puddle for Annhilator, you will get through first boss, and the group will carry you through even if you contribute a lot because finding replacements can be a pain.

Nydus
11.21.2012 , 08:27 AM | #14
Thanks guys.

Successfully executed my first OP last night; Eternity Vault.

I used the group finder. I used my DPS as suggested. As a distance DPS I basically stood next to the group leader (our healer) and shot at what she told me to shoot at.

Only screwed up the group once, but didn't cost anybody their lives.

They were more or less tolerant of me .

So what OP should I try next?

- Arcada
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)

POPsi
11.21.2012 , 08:36 AM | #15
To get a feel of the ops, run in this order like 2 times:

EV/KP SM, EC SM, TFB SM

In terms of gear progression:

EV/KP HM, EC/TFB SM, EC HM, TFB HM, EC NiM

Elyssandra
11.21.2012 , 11:56 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
Thanks guys.

Successfully executed my first OP last night; Eternity Vault.

- Arcada
Congratulations!

LadyTributary
11.21.2012 , 01:46 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
They were more or less tolerant of me .
It's easy to be tolerant of a DPS who actually follows directions when it comes to fights and makes an active effort to do his job.

Seriously, you did very well for a guy who'd never seen the content before (though it helped that the tanks knew the drill) and you should have no trouble continuing if you keep up at that rate.

That was kind of an amazing run, since we had several people who were new to Eternity Vault, but no wipes.

Shubsathoth
11.21.2012 , 04:38 PM | #18
Thanks for the thread, very useful. I've been on since before the beginning and STILL haven't made 50...lol But I found this to be useful information for the future.
*** No Longer ***<<<Looking for Guild on Krayiss Obelisk Server (Empire).

Best fried tenderloin spinward of Coruscant!

Nydus
11.22.2012 , 03:15 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Shubsathoth View Post
Thanks for the thread, very useful. I've been on since before the beginning and STILL haven't made 50...lol But I found this to be useful information for the future.
Thanks Shubsathoth. I think there are a lot of us who have been plugging away for some time but still don't know all the ins and outs of the game. I have three Level 50s and feel there is this entire group of people who hit 50 -- probably in January of 2012 -- looking down on me .

Honestly, I really enjoyed that OP and I think it (more than the 1.5 expansion) is responsible for my renewed interest in the game (let me be clear, I'm here for the long-term, but I'm capable of losing interest in it for extended periods of time). I know all the work they've put into the group finder, and that was definitely helpful, but BW may consider finding someway of rewarding advanced-50s for doing newbie runs.

e.g. Getting rewarded extra whatevers for being an op-leader or Lt. of an OP with players who are doing the mission for the first time.

e.g. Getting a title for being an OP leader or LT. and doing all the ops with at least one new player .

Wouldn't be incredibly hard to track and I'm sure there are a whole host of us who'd love to hear: "Hey, doing terror from beyond, any newbies wanna come along?

Aahhaha.

- Arcada

DarthJimilingus
11.22.2012 , 11:06 PM | #20
Question to add onto this. I have a combo of tiones/columi/rakata gear and have the following specs on my sorcerer DPS spec...... 1624-Willpower 1381 Endurance. Should I still be doing HM FP's or can I move on to OPS at this point? I'd try to queue up but I would hate to be THAT GUY that shows up totally undergeared and ruin someone's OP.
Level 55 Sith Sorcerer, 55 Jedi Sentinel, 55 Trooper VanGuard, 55 Imperial Operative, 55 Jedi Shadow, 55 Bounty Hunter Mercenary, 55 Sith Juggernaut, 55 Smuggler Gunslinger, 55 Sith Assassin, 55 Sith Marauder, 55 Jedi Sage, 55 Trooper Commando, 55 Imperial Sniper, 55 Jedi Guardian, 55 Smuggler Scoundrel, 55 Bounty Hunter PowerTech. Got them all!