Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should Bioware buff Voltaic slash?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Should Bioware buff Voltaic slash?

TrakonBazzaak
11.20.2012 , 02:57 AM | #1
Im currently leveling a deception assassin as my alt, Dps Guardian being my main.

Im lvl 45, looking up at voltaic slash, and its calling to me.

My current spec is 0/25/11

All the guides ive read seem to say the same thing.

Voltaic slash sucks, its a waste of a point and the best specs are all hybrids. With a good amount of players also using full tank, or full madness...

So my question to the rest of you deception assassins out there is..

Do you think Voltaic slash should be buffed to increase the viability of full deception, or are you happy with the current menu of specs people are using?
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

KangoRue
11.20.2012 , 04:25 AM | #2
In short, no they should not. Volactic slash synegizes with other key deception abilities. You actually wont see deception come into its own until you gear up a tad, i didnt see a huge return until i got more than halfway in war hero gear, however now that I'm rocking WH in most slots i can tell you that at least 31 points in deception (i have something like 0/33/13) its actually quite worth it. Remember that deception's key points is burst damage against a single target. Vol slash buffs shock in both reduction of cast cost, and damage. Coupled with a 2-3 charge discharge, overcharge saber, and reck, you will find that it is quite a decent attack. Against the average player VS hits for 900-1000 each, and should be used x 2 to get your buff. I tend to stealth>spike>vol slashx2, and putz around with saber strike once or twice until i get a maul proc. Low slash>maul>reck/overcharge>discharge>shock>assassinate and they're generally toast.

The mark of a good player is one who adjusts their strategy depending on the class/person they are fighting. Deception makes a good subspec for 17 poitns to get 30% reduced aoe (make smash lolable), force regen, larger maul hits, and buffed blackout.

Plain and simple: dont worry too much about the damage of an ability, they are all fairly well balanced around your gear. Worry more about what that ability does with the rest of your spec and how you intend to use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
Im currently leveling a deception assassin as my alt, Dps Guardian being my main.

Im lvl 45, looking up at voltaic slash, and its calling to me.

My current spec is 0/25/11

All the guides ive read seem to say the same thing.

Voltaic slash sucks, its a waste of a point and the best specs are all hybrids. With a good amount of players also using full tank, or full madness...

So my question to the rest of you deception assassins out there is..

Do you think Voltaic slash should be buffed to increase the viability of full deception, or are you happy with the current menu of specs people are using?

DarthMaulUK
11.20.2012 , 02:28 PM | #3
I play 2/31/8 - with 2 points in Thrashing blades so VS deals a bit more damage.

If you're just looking to pve with this build then that's fine. As the other poster said, its all about dealing damage fast. Sometimes you can deal huge burst damage and kill your foe within seconds.

However, if you are looking to pvp as a new lvl 50, then I would suggest NOT to use this until you are least full BM with some WH elements in terms of gear as you just wont deal that much damage.
to strive to seek, to find. And not to yield.

PlagaNerezza
11.20.2012 , 05:28 PM | #4
I don't know, but you might consider running a build that has death field with deception. It gives you significantly better range against the massive kiting that is going on especially if you don't find the 30% shock damage buff easy to hit.

I personally think in my few days playing the hybrid build that the 30% damage boost with Voltaic is highly underrated in pure burst. Death field is great if you are struggling to close range, interupt caps, or need to be more backrow, but you give up a lot of pure burst with shock to get a ranged attack. We do have recklessness FL.

I think voltaic does ok damage and it replaces thrash in my build well. It helps to proc maul. If you are going to take 2-3 points in darkness take the Armor Penetration.

You should always check your abilities to understand exactly how they will perform in game.

Voltaic Slash, Maul and Assassinate, are weapon attacks with for an assassin is a kinetic attack. So it’s a white damage attack applied against Defense (can be shielded), and it is mitigated by armor.

Shock, Force Lightning and discharge are ranged Force energy attacks. So it’s a Yellow damage attack applied against Resistance (ignoring Defense and Shields), but it is mitigated by armor.

So as you can see all of these attacks can be boosted against the opponents AR by 9%.

If you look at the damage reduction vs armor rating chart for armor on jedilace.com You'll see that equates roughly to 3% more damage on all your main assassin attacks.

Give or take depending on 9%. If you like entropic fields potential for a 6% increase to damage reduction (which is essentially like 6% more armor) I don't see how you argue against surging charges ability to add 9% AR reduction to all attacks all the time that strike your enemies with charge mastery.

Death Fields internal damage is great. Bypassing armor is a sure winner. However, your giving up 30% damage and its improved crit.

Voltaic IMO is fine. If you don't like the setup in deception to the shock proc run 2213/6. You'll get all the awesomeness of maul and tank armor with the ability to nearly equal the shock damage output of deception through energize. Especially if you don't run charge mastery in deception.

Crackling blast and energize are roughly the same and electrify is equal to 1 hit of voltaic slash being active all the time.

You lose the heavy hitting discharge and give up some chain shock percentage to hit and some maul critical damage, but gain some survivability.

I like the 23/18/0 and 27/14/0 (Harnessed Darkness) builds. Their are a few hybrids I like. The problem with deception is really still utility over a marauder. Its fun but honestly the tanking line is still superior, especially now with the ability to run a shield and keep up your melee damage output.

I don't mind deceptions outputs and its survivability isn't to bad. If your good you can pretty much never die. Its going to own the death match arena. Stealth based burst. More escapability than operatives. Although self healing of a tanksin is very underrated.

Thanks for reading.
"At last we will have our revenge" -Darth Maul
▄▄▄▄▄▄▼▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

TrakonBazzaak
11.21.2012 , 04:37 AM | #5
Thanks for the replies, seems Im seeing more positive stuff about deception when I ask a direct question as opposed to reading the guides posted here.

Ill let you know how the specs pan out.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

RankorSSGS
11.22.2012 , 01:38 PM | #6
I still vastly prefer 0/27/14 over full Deception.

Having Deathfield is a huge boost to your single target burst damage. Geared, DF will crit for 5k. There is no way that the 30% boost to shock is equivalent to 5k. So for single target burst, DF + Discharge + unbuffed shock > buffed shock + discharge. Also, having DF makes the burst far more unpredicable. The voltaic animation is a dead giveaway that there is hell coming. Switching targets can help this somewhat of course, but I know for myself, as soon as I see someone throw out that yoyo, I know exactly what is coming, and what I can do to stop it. Plus, against voice coordinated teams, it gets even worse. I see yoyos, I can tell my buddy whats incoming, and then he can deal with it. Seeing people in Surging charge using the regular thrash can throw people off. Plus, since shock is not receiving any buffs, if you have force to spare, you can shock without having to do any other attacks. More burst coming faster and unpredictably.

Also, to whoever incorrectly stated that Discharge is affected by the arpen talent, you're wrong. Like DF, Discharge is an internal damage attack. Also, there are no buffs to crit chance, so I'm not sure where you get that idea. And also relying on reckless FL for ranged is just a bad idea. Recklessnss has a 75 sec cd with the stalker bonus, if its not up, you're screwed. And you should be using Recklessness as much as you can anyway, saving it for cap interrupting is stupid. Also, FL is vulnerable to LoS, which is a serious problem in civil war. The utility of DF is just essential. With your crit at appropriate levels, thrash with the 1 or 2 points into claws of decay will basically nullify the extra damage VS does over thrash. Deception will have more sustained damage than 0/27/14, because once DF goes on cd, then the 30% boost to shock will pull ahead. But the purpose of Deception based builds is never sustained damage anyway.

Deception is a good build yes, and I still enjoy playing it, and seeing how big a shock I can get. But for serious competition, I will never be playing it again, unless VS does indeed receive a buff that makes it worth taking. And I do like the VS animation, even though it is a dead giveaway. I would be very happy if it got buffed.
Vesharia, Zannáh, Xeshara Retired due to broken class
Jetii'ka - Combat/Focus Bloodfrenzie - Carnage/Rage
Pot5/Bastion

VicturusTeSaluto
11.22.2012 , 10:06 PM | #7
they should not buff it. you should adapt by not using full deception as it is one of the worst pvp specs in the game. I cant remember last time I saw a *full* deception sin/infiltration shadow that was anything more than fodder.

orillah
11.23.2012 , 02:57 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by RankorSSGS View Post
I still vastly prefer 0/27/14 over full Deception.

Having Deathfield is a huge boost to your single target burst damage. Geared, DF will crit for 5k. .
So if we belive you, your non critical hits on DF, in pvp, are always in 3k range. Cool story. Btw 0-27-14 are really better than full deception.

floriwie
11.23.2012 , 08:35 AM | #9
Deception after the last patch it really become a boost to its survivability but nothing change in the fact that men should still choose its target...

It is a healer killer nothing more....which can be done better with Marauder/PT or a sniper(if the healer is bad).....

RankorSSGS
11.23.2012 , 01:37 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by orillah View Post
So if we belive you, your non critical hits on DF, in pvp, are always in 3k range. Cool story. Btw 0-27-14 are really better than full deception.
Not quite sure what you are trying to say. Sounds like you are agreeing with me? And yes, even a non crit DF will hit for 2k+. Still more than 30% boost to shock.
Vesharia, Zannáh, Xeshara Retired due to broken class
Jetii'ka - Combat/Focus Bloodfrenzie - Carnage/Rage
Pot5/Bastion