Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary Manifesto

cashogy
11.21.2012 , 12:11 AM | #1
NB: The majority of this thread has been a discussion of how to address the interrupt vulnerability of Tracer Missile and Power Shot. As of 11/24, this is the most up-to-date list of class changes based on the discussion in this thread.

Dear BiowarEA: These changes (or changes like them) need to be made the the Mercenary/Commando advanced class in 1.6. Im going to use Merc terminology throughout this, but obviously Commando equivalents apply. Lets get started.....

General Mercenary:
- Missile Blast now slows the enemy by 30% for 6s (Mercenary only change, will not affect Powertech's Missile Blast)

Arsenal Tree:
- change Muzzle Fluting, a tier 2 box, to the following: Muzzle Fluting: Reduces the activation time of Power Shot and Tracer Missile by 0.5 seconds. In addition, Rocket Punch has a 100% chance to proc 3 charges of "Run and Gun". Abilities with cast times will activate instantly, and consume 1 charge of "Run and Gun". "Run and Gun" lasts for 15s, or until all charges are consumed
- power barrier -> change this back to 2% damage reduction per stack
- change Afterbuners, a tier 3 box, to the following: Rocket Punch has a [50 / 100]% chance to KNOCKBACK AND IMMOBILIZE the target for 4 seconds. Damage caused after 2 seconds ends the effect. In addition, Jet Boost's knockback effect is stronger and pushes enemies [2 / 4] meters further away.
- change Jet Escape, a tier 4 box, to the following: Reduces the cooldown of Jet Boost by [2.5 seconds / 5 seconds] and Determination by [15 seconds / 30 seconds] AND you have a [50 / 100]% chance to increase your movement speed by 30% for 4s after using Jet Boost

Pyrotech Tree:
- switch System Calibrations (tier 1 Pyrotech) with Hired Muscle (tier 1 Combat Medic).
- change Hired Muscle to [2 / 4]% tech and ranged critical chance increase

- change Deguass, a tier 3 box, to the following: Energy Shield has a [50 / 100]% chance to remove all movement-impairing effects when activated and a [50 / 100]% chance to be immune to all movement-impairing effects for the duration of Energy Shield

Combat Medic Tree:
- switch System Calibrations (tier 1 Pyrotech) with Hired Muscle (tier 1 Combat Medic).
- change System Calibrations to increase alacrity by [1 / 3 / 5]%

- change Superheated Gas, a tier 2 box, to vent 16 heat (up from 8)
- allow Kolto Shell to be applied to an unlimited number of allies, and reduce its heat cost to 8
- change Cure Mind, a tier 5 box to the following: Cure now removes negative mental AND FORCE effects and heals the target for X
- reduce cooldown of Emergency Scan to 18s

These are all relatively simple changes to make. Now, before I get a ton of people telling me these changes would imbalance PvE or make Merc OP in PvP, realize that none of these changes will affect damage output or heal output. They are, for the most part, all changes to increase mobility and utiltiy of the Merc class.

I encourage players to show their support for Mercs, who have become the joke of PvP over the last 6 months. Im more than willing to discuss why i think these mechanics are necessary, as I do think all of these changes *need* to be made.

With a new warzone in 1.6, there will be more focus on PvP. Overall class balance needs to be addressed, and these changes will bring Merc up to a level where they can effectively compete.
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

Glower
11.21.2012 , 12:17 AM | #2
Ok.

/signed
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

Muramxx
11.21.2012 , 12:19 AM | #3
sounds good me.

Dasgruberg
11.21.2012 , 12:30 AM | #4
when i can instasmash people for over 6k, why shouldnt a merc be able to be viable in pvp too?
/signed
Maekor - 55 Juggernaut
Andrine - 55 shadow
Kintara - 55 Powertech
Zaekor - 55 Sniper

Khanic
11.21.2012 , 12:53 AM | #5
You sir are a saint.

/signed

MutinyOfTheMind
11.21.2012 , 01:17 AM | #6
I don't PvP on my Merc, but this would def get me back into it.

/signed, even if I'd have to get used to insta-cast TM for PvE.

Nassik
11.21.2012 , 01:21 AM | #7
These changes would get me to queue for PvP again with my merc.

/signed.
July 21st 2011.. The Dark Day Bioware pissed on Australia with a little yellow paragraph.

I used to be part of the Community, now I'm just Australian

Aerro
11.21.2012 , 01:22 AM | #8
/notsigned.

Clearly you do not understand how this would impact both aspects of the spectrum (for Arsenal) negatively. Some of those are nerfs for PvE yet clearly a buff for PvP. Not only that, you are wanting your arsenal to have the ability to NOT be able to be locked down which is poor planning. Yes, mercs need a buff of some sort for mobility in PvP, but not to the extent of making them spamming Tracer Missiles while strafing.

Lets just pick at the Tracer Missile becoming instant but doing 15% less damage.

The GCD on instants is 1.5sec. With a cast, your GCD reflects the cast time. Therefore, my 1.4s Tracer (with CR up) will be able to be spammed every 1.4s without a damage reduction.

You are saying to increase the time inbetween Tracers by .1s and reduce the damage by 15%.

I will add I do agree with the Heatseeker buff. It does little damage for our end tier ability.
Arsenal DPS Guide
One of the leading Mercenaries in a World Progression Guild.

Shaide
11.21.2012 , 01:33 AM | #9
Quote:
realize that none of these changes will affect damage output or heal output. They are, for the most part, all changes to increase mobility and utiltiy of the Merc class.
For starters the changes you said to Combat Medic would actually increase healing done.

Quote:
"allow Kolto Shell to be applied to an unlimited number of allies, and reduce its heat cost to 8"
This would be 2400 heal to everyone and not just 4 people

Quote:
"reduce cooldown of Emergency Scan to 18s"
Faster 6300 heal

None of these changes you said would be viable. It would break pve too.

/notsigned

cashogy
11.21.2012 , 01:38 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Aerro View Post
/notsigned.

Clearly you do not understand how this would impact both aspects of the spectrum (for Arsenal) negatively. Some of those are nerfs for PvE yet clearly a buff for PvP. Not only that, you are wanting your arsenal to have the ability to NOT be able to be locked down which is poor planning. Yes, mercs need a buff of some sort for mobility in PvP, but not to the extent of making them spamming Tracer Missiles while strafing.

Lets just pick at the Tracer Missile becoming instant but doing 15% less damage.

The GCD on instants is 1.5sec. With a cast, your GCD reflects the cast time. Therefore, my 1.4s Tracer (with CR up) will be able to be spammed every 1.4s without a damage reduction.

You are saying to increase the time inbetween Tracers by .1s and reduce the damage by 15%.

I will add I do agree with the Heatseeker buff. It does little damage for our end tier ability.
Tracer Missile already hits easily for 2.5-3k. for a low heat, spammable set-up ability that damage is quite high.

take 15% away from Tracer Missile, and you are looking at 2.2-2.5k damage per missile. over 3 missiles, that is a loss of ~900-1500 potential damage.

heatseeker hits for 4.5-5k. increase that by 15%, and it goes to 5.2k-5.8k. it would likely be reasonable to hit 6k from time to time if you are optimized for power stacking

so you are trading ~900-1500 damage on the front end, for ~800-1000 damage on the backend. a potential loss of 100-500 overall damage is minimal, which is the impact that i said it would have in PvE.

and can i ask why youre taking critical reactions in your build? you need to spend 7 points in combat medic in order to get that. Arsenal is a DPS class, you could be getting better benefits for that many points than .1s off your TM cast time. not to mention that .1s is literally going to change nothing.

might i add that overall, instant TM/PS would likely benefit PvE play. there are many fight mechanics that require players to stay mobile for extended periods. instead of ending up spamming rapid shots, you will still be able to use tracer missile and/or power shot. overall, i think that would be a benefit for PvE

edit: i completely read over your comment about how Mercs would not be able to be "locked down". being "locked down" should not be a balance mechanism. Arsenal Merc is nearly impossible to play in a mildly competitive PvP scenario. The number of ways to have casts interrupted in this game is extensive, and Merc needs a way to maintain its DPS output. Merc would still be able to be "locked down" the same way as any other class: CC, snare/roots, group focus fire.
Da'ny - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads