Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Signs that you're good or bad at your role

Aurojiin
11.19.2012 , 09:43 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Slurmez View Post
4 - is not true
Is very true. If you are holding down one of the mouse buttons to rotate your character or the camera, the cursor cannot be used to interact with other interface elements.

I can't believe this "argument" is still dragging on. Clicking abilities is like typing with oven mitts. Can you do it? Sure. Will any amount of success on the part of an individual ever change the fact that it's incredibly inefficient? Nope.

That being said, yes, the OP is wrong insofar as clicking doesn't automatically mean you're bad at your role.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

lazyax
11.19.2012 , 11:39 PM | #42
i am a hybrid keybinder/clicker. I do a little of both. I also disagree with the whole "clicking makes you bad" thing. I also disagree with the examples given in OP on good tanking skills. There are a few instances I can think of that are much more challenging tank pulls that test tank skills. One good example is the first mob encounter in the heroic Chasing the Shadow (republic/corellia/black hole) assuming no one can CC, a good tank can control that situation very well. Another very good example of tank testing skills is the first mob in Maelstrom Prison. Again, assuming no one can cc, that is another excellent test of tank skills here, where the mobs are spread out and you get a bonus 3 regulars that pop out the door to the right. Ive seen well geared players wipe/die to this first pull, due to the way its setup.

HauksbokT
11.19.2012 , 11:55 PM | #43
This thread. Why?

snowmon
11.20.2012 , 03:01 AM | #44
there is only one rule i follow:

if tank dies = healers fault

if healer dies = tanks fault

if DPS die = there own fault.

o and for the people thinking clicking is better than keybinding....U ****** SERIOUS?!? lmao, get a brain. most amusing thing i heard all morning.
lvl 55 PT DPS, ToFN Server

Elyssandra
11.20.2012 , 03:21 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by snowmon View Post

o and for the people thinking clicking is better than keybinding....U ****** SERIOUS?!? lmao, get a brain. most amusing thing i heard all morning.
O you simple, simple man...

RanisTheSlayer
11.20.2012 , 03:49 PM | #46

Spoken like a true imperial player.
Ranis
Lethal Dose Fifty
Jedi Covenant's #1 DPS Sage
Server First 8M and 16M HM Terror From Beyond 5/5

StefanTOR
11.20.2012 , 07:15 PM | #47
I played Foundry HM last night on my Juggernaut, been switching him back and forth between tanking and dps. I tanked the FP with a focus equiped, whoops! Luckily nobody went down and it was all good.

Daskillz
11.20.2012 , 08:29 PM | #48
My Version from a healers perspective:

You're a bad Tank:

If you don't make sure to at least Tap every mob on each pull so that a healer doesn't pull aggro trying to do their job.

If you aren't vocal with the people you're playing with. (Tank is generally a leadership role so if you don't want to be vocal in a raid then don't bother doing it)

If you don't take your time to look at your stats and take a bit of time to do research on how to properly itemize your advanced class.

You're a bad DPS:

If you don't parse your numbers. Parsing numbers of course lets you know if you're doing it right or wrong!
(A dps who doesn't look at their numbers is obviously looking to be carried through content which is why guilds are having trouble with the easy content in this game. Carrying dead weight halts progression)

If you don't watch aggro on certain fights.
(Of course this is dependant on the situation. But in a situation when you know your tank doesn't suck and you rip aggro and die at the beginning of the fight from blowing all your crap early then you fail)

Don't take the time to itemize your gear.
(I guess this is repetitive for every role, if you Itemize well then you're being considerate to the people you're doing content with by making sure you're performing at your best. Of course Situational awareness is a key component for all roles as well)

You're a bad Healer:

If anyone in your raid dies from unavoidable damage. (aka damage that is always gonna happen)
(It won't always be your fault because in an operation there are multiple healers but if someone you're supposed to heal dies you fail at your role. But if it is new content for you and you're just learning then its fine just fix it next attempt!)

Don't know how to manage your resource. (Aka Energy, Heat/Ammo, or Force)
(Healing well is not only about getting heals out but making sure you can keep them coming. In an operation if you fail to manage your energy then you will cause a domino effect that will cause the other healers to tap themselves out which screws everybody over.

Slurmez
11.20.2012 , 10:29 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Is very true. If you are holding down one of the mouse buttons to rotate your character or the camera, the cursor cannot be used to interact with other interface elements.

I can't believe this "argument" is still dragging on. Clicking abilities is like typing with oven mitts. Can you do it? Sure. Will any amount of success on the part of an individual ever change the fact that it's incredibly inefficient? Nope.

That being said, yes, the OP is wrong insofar as clicking doesn't automatically mean you're bad at your role.
Is not true, it takes less time to right click and camera rotate than the GCD and the mouse doesnt move far from where it began due to set sensitivity. Im not saying I may or may not miss a fraction of a second here and there but my parsed DPS numbers (inside operations not on stationary dummies) are above average so Im not slacking there and I dont die first on my Vengeance Juggernaut which is a melee class so is especially dependent on positioning.

Also at no point have I claimed that clicking is superior, I dont know where you are getting that slant from, my point seems to be that there is rather a downer on a particular play style, that is often a necessity of physical limitations not a choice. For ME and others binding would be monumentally inefficient and indeed make the game unplayable so wheres your point? The mere concept of lambasting someone on play style over effectiveness is quite cretinous given a bad player is a bad player regardless of clicking or binding.

FYI I have A and D set as side strafe

Slurmez
11.20.2012 , 10:31 PM | #50
If you had reading comprehension skills I think you would find NO ONE has made that claim in this entire thread, only that clicking is not the gigantic handicap certain people make it out to be.